Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea launches Buy Back scheme, giving voucher refund of up to 50% of used furniture

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Henry... wrote: »
    Weird

A store furniture store taking stuff back

Why would they bother

Th real reason I suspect is so they can say how wonderfully green they are and how supportive they are of recycling etc. PR and Marketing spin basically for the woke generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why is that, out of curiousity? Assuming you can have a look at it before buying, I don't really think I see the difference, if I'm honest.

With the Bargain Corner you're buying something that is essentially 'as new'. It might be an end of line product or ex display or been returned with have the packagng opened but will be in 'as new' condition. A 30% discount for that is decent.

With this scheme you would be buying something that someone has used for a few years and it will have signs of wear and tear. Maybe its just me but I wouldnt place much value on Ikea stuff that has been used for several years. Theres always people trying to sell used Ikea stuff on Adverts and lots of it goes unsold for months on end because buying it new isnt that expensive in the first place. If you did want to save a few quid by buying it second hand then Adverts would be a better place to look, some sellers let stuff go for buttons as they just want it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

Are you still looking for a Kasseby Display Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well we road tested this didn't go as expected.

Kept it in one piece, got it back to shop only for them to inform us that it was bought longer than 7 years ago so no refund!

We only moved 7 years ago + bought it new so a bit scabby on their part. At least they kept it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Setanter

setanter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi Gary, got one off Ebay in the end from the UK. I'd take another one, only if new in box around cost + your effort though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

It's a pity I didn't see this post first. I was surprised to see they listed discontinued line items, but as I had a very large commercial corner office desk which was never used, I decided to lug it back. Heavy beast with a steel modular frame. I needed a trailer in order not to disassemble. More than 7 years old they said, though it was in new condition. If it was battered but under 7, they'd buy it back, over 7 and like new, they'd take it for free, but not for resale. They said they'd put it in the skip. So much for their 'Green' credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Unless a product has been discontinued, how can they tell when it was purchased?

The guy who inspected it looked underneath, and read off the manufacture/batch code which was printed underside, or on a sticker on the steel legs. He never looked further at it after that and said it was bought more than 7 years ago. Those desks were modular, when you bought say a corner one with a round end, you got a pick list for the parts, L frame, L table top, round end top, round top extension frame and 3 Tee legs or 5 straight legs. The steel legs or extension frames could be in the warehouse for quite some time before sale. When getting a quote on the buyback estimator, I had to enter each component part, you could get a buyback quote for separate parts, though this product range was discontinued quite some time ago, maybe 6 years. I wasn't expecting 50% of new, but offering to put it on a skip was a joke. Why allow me to get the estimate in the first place, and drive 50km lugging a trailer. 'Green' my arse. They wouldn't even come down to the loading bay to inspect, I had to manhandle it onto a steel trolly, fully assembled, and bring it up on the effing lift, then do the reverse unaided

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah it would seem this is nothing more than greenwashing by Ikea.

In any case if anyone has some of their older stuff from decades ago then you could be sitting on a tidy sum of money, some of it is going for thousands at auction

• Advertisement

I have 4 chairs same as that orange one in the picture, but red frame not chrome. Bought around 1984, not from IKEA though. (MFI maybe?) Re-upholstered in 1990, now up in the garage attic.

Advertisement