Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mackerel 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

newbie Question. I was given a spinning rod which was used for mackerel which I think is quite a poor one. I’m a relative newbie and will be investing in some decent equipment soon.

however I’m not getting much distance on the cast so I put on a heavier spinner. I did catch a couple but nothing major. It got snagged and I lost it. I would like to use a smaller lure/spinner but can I put On a weight as well to get a little distance or would it mess up the activity of the lure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Does anyone know if any Macs are being caught in Cork at the moment? Thinking of fishing high tide tomorrow morning at Monkstown or Ballycotton but if anyone could recommend any better spots I'd be grateful. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

If you are using a regular spinning rod I would recommend spinners/lures that weigh around 28-32g and make sure you are using the right type of line. You can use mono-filament and I'd recommend using 15lb breaking strain or higher for mackerel, but a better option would be to use braid of 20-30lb breaking strain, it has a much thinner diameter and casts a lot farther. If you use braid either look up how to put it on the reel properly or get the shop to do it for you, as if you do it wrong you will get wind knots and tangles. The best spinner I can recommend is the 32g kilty catcher in the colours green, red or silver. This will catch you everything from pollock to mackerel and especially sea bass. Hope this helps!

Spent 4 hours fishing Dún Laoghaire West Pier yesterday over high tide, I got 2 mackerel and there were a few others catching some too, not in massive numbers though

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RebelRebel2

Was in Monkstown this morning...fished 2 hrs after high tide...not a sniff of a fish unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I went out to Salthill in Galway on Wednesday evening - The conditions were ideal, everything pointed to Mackerel being in.

Late August, consistent run of sunny weather, high tide. Not a fish in sight. No sprats in the water either. A few people were fishing but nobody was catching. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yeah same as myself 2 weeks ago. They've gotta arrive at some point right!

Thanks for the advise. Took your advise and purchased some kiltys. Went out this morning for two hours at LT unfortunately. Didn’t put the braid on yet but was getting a half decent cast. Absolutely no fish ☹️ . Where I fish would be a well known spot for mackerel etc but nobody seems to be catching much at all . For a relatively inexperienced fisherman, I’m not sure whether it’s just unlucky or if it’s something I’m doing or not doing. Quite frustrating. Gonna try again tho! Hard to get time to get out at high tide tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Two hours either side of high tide is probably best, be very rare mackerel would be inshore at low tide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

going to try DL after work, any recent reports? ive only made it down for an hour or two a few times in the evening in the last couple of weeks but ive not had a touch (low tide)

East or west? into the harbour or seaward side (east is handier with the lights so you can fish til dark) but ill go wherever is better

Does is go actually pitch black on the west, ill only get a couple of hours in before dark

many thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

6 of us back of West Pier last night, 6pm on.......nothing.

Quiet windy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RebelRebel2

Plenty of mackerel caught from the pier in Bllycotton Co Cork at high tide yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Saw 3 lads fishing from the cliffs on Downpatrick head earlier today. They had caught 30-40 mackerel between them.

Yeah for mackerel you want to be fishing 2 hours either side of high tide.. but low tide works well for bass and sea trout, especially around estuaries! Also keep at it, if fishing teaches you one thing it's patience, it might take a couple of sessions before you get a fish but when you eventually do, it will be well worth it! Blanks are very much expected when fishing, especially when you are a beginner and as you gain more experience you should be able to reduce the frequency of your blanks ;)

Loads of mackerel in Howth today lads! Good size too!

• Advertisement

Cheers , I’m fishing in the North east. I’ve only seen one being caught. They seem very scarce. When spinning, should I be letting the lure sink? I’m getting told both . When I let it sink, I just get a load of weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From a boat I always would have always caught them about midwater, never at the surface. That would have been with feathers though.

It all depends, I've heard certain venues the mackerel are on the bottom, such as at clogherhead. I usually mix it up starting off by letting my spinner sink to the bottom first then start retrieving slowly so it's just off the bottom, and speeding it up with each cast so it's higher up, then I might switch to sink and draw which is letting it sink and then lifting the rod tip and repeat (you should only do this if the ground is fairly clean or you're likely to get snagged). You have to search out the water column sometimes, because the mackerel could be anywhere really!

Also if a spinner isn't working I'd switch out to feathers for a bit since there's more hooks and more weight it casts further increasing your chances.

im starting to think there is no fish in the sea at all! None being caught at my location unfortunately even by accomplished fishermen. What is going on?

There's plenty, just need to be in the right place at the right time with the right strategy.. There's a good few bass being caught in the North Dublin estuaries this week! I heard of plenty of mackerel being caught in Skerries last week too. Last hour of light when high tide is at sunset is one of the best times to fish for most species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Spent 2 hours on the back of the west pier Dun Laoghaire this morning just as the tide started to drop, nothing happened for the first hour and then the fry arrived and the macks had them cornered. Was using the reliable german sprat and nabbed 6 in as many casts but by God they were small, some no bigger than sardines, all returned. Quite a few bashers further down towards the lighthouse, I'm sure they went home with full bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Is there a good chance of survival if you return them quickly? Can they find their school again?

Ive thrown back small ones occasionally myself and it would bother me slightly if they were doomed from the outset. I read somewhere about a coating, that if touched at all means they'll die a day or so later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wouldnt be an expert on survival but they have a better chance than if they were in the freezer !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve got a gift voucher for a Howth boat charter.

Is it best to wait til next summer or is there still good pickings out there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

No if you touch them they are going to die, no way around it find a mate that dead baits for pike they’ll be glad of them

Advertisement