Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies who upped their prices during the pandemic - price gougers, or simple suppl

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

airbnb at the min would break your heart

1500e a week for a gaff in donegal .
    same area and type of house normally rents 90e a week for standard letting

I'll be off abroad thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,635 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

YFlyer wrote: »
    Give examples please?

The main one I remember was the Irish music festival promoter in Dubai who with a company with no trading history somehow got into the medical supply business and sold the HSE 14 million quid worth of ventilators which ended up not working to standard and were never used. The HSE paid cash up front for a load of cheap junk.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191468.html

I haven't noticed much price gouging except for one local takeaway who I now avoid. Started cutting my own hair too, so won't be going back to barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Tbf to coffee shops, the price of raw coffee has shot up over the last year. Inflation is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

paw patrol wrote: »
    airbnb at the min would break your heart

1500e a week for a gaff in donegal .
    same area and type of house normally rents 90e a week for standard letting

I'll be off abroad thanks.

i can get a suite in a sheraton for a week for half that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

My local Grafton barbers has now gone up to €26, I was paying €16 just 3 years ago (which was expensive at the time)

The cost of alcohol has definitely gone up so far this year, though a lot of it seems to be down to government leglisation on promotions, with it due to get significantly worse when minimum unit pricing comes in early next year.

Supermarkets seem to have increased in price, I'm sure Brexit and global capacity constraints due to covid are playing a significantly role in this. I'll be interested to see once logistics and manufacturing are back at pre-covid capacity will we see price decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭antimatterx

1huge1 wrote: »
    My local Grafton barbers has now gone up to €26, I was paying €16 just 3 years ago (which was expensive at the time)

The cost of alcohol has definitely gone up so far this year, though a lot of it seems to be down to government leglisation on promotions, with it due to get significantly worse when minimum unit pricing comes in early next year.

Supermarkets seem to have increased in price, I'm sure Brexit and global capacity constraints due to graftocovid are playing a significantly role in this. I'll be interested to see once logistics and manufacturing are back at pre-covid capacity will we see price decreases.

Grafton were always robbing bastards unless you were a student tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

YFlyer wrote: »
    Give examples please?

The one that sold the sub par sanitizer to the schools. They were a breakaway company from one I deal with. They had a turnover of a ridiculously low number a year before and then were awarded a what, 8 mill contract for sanitizer :D
    Most of the staff have gone back to the old company.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i know one company that supplied food and drink to restaurants. they changed to supplying hand sanitizer and dispenser/signs for 500euros a pop. crazy money.

Tesco dont have as many offers anymore. and their 9cent noodles and 40cent toothpaste disappeared months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The OPW are opening their sites for free this year, which I thought was very kind of them. A lot of the ridiculous staycation prices are being publicized which is unfortunate as most of the B&Bs and hotels are not gouging but receiving absolutely no publicity. My own business has kept the same price from two years ago.

We got very reasonably priced accommodation last summer for 2 weeks
    same for this summer, but a different location

people complaining seem to forget most people book their holidays in January or February and don't wait until May

• Advertisement
Advertisement