Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How contactable are you?

Options
2»

Comments

I am very contactable but with boundaries in place. Part of me is envious of those who can just ignore their phones for days on end and not bother to respond to or make calls. Mine is on 24/7 in case my Dad needs me or something is up with my mam.
    If something work related comes through at a weekend then I wait until Monday to get back. If a friend rings me I answer, if there is a missed call I'll return it. I keep in touch as best I can. It would be rare for me to have loads of people that I need to respond to. If I didn't have space inside at that moment to respond to a friend, rather than ignore them I would let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Self employed so have to be contactable all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

Antares35 wrote: »
    My phone would be near me most of the time, and always on vibrate notification (sound on only if I'm expecting an important call). That way I can just screen whoever is texting or calling and decide if I want to converse. Unknown numbers can f*ck off. The friend who rings to talk about his job (again) for forty minutes without even asking how I am will mostly not have his calls answered unless I'm already insanely bored. The colleague who calls to talk about The Crown on Netflix can also go to voicemail.

Most others are fine. If I leave the house, phone is always with me if someone else is minding the baby.

Not a very nice way to treat your friends.
    Maybe you should be a bit more grown up about it and tell them that they're not actually friends and you consider them an annoyance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

HBC08 wrote: »
    Not a very nice way to treat your friends.
    Maybe you should be a bit more grown up about it and tell them that they're not actually friends and you consider them an annoyance?

Or give them the impession you're contractable. Some dose, like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Or give them the impession you're contractable. Some dose, like

A contractable dose would be a terrible thing, especially in the current climate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I am fairly bad. I usually do get back to people but sometimes I forget. Unless I am expecting someone to call I rarely answer and will have to call them back.

Generally yes. Unless you're especially annoying. In which case you'll never get me.

I know a good few people even family who are mostly uncontactable. One sibling is so bad that even phone watch can never get them and always ring me instead. I just text the sibling. As I refuse waste my time ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I get the impression that most of the uncontactable folks here are actually glued to their phones and quietly ignoring those trying to reach them. So they're actively trying to be uncontactable rather than passively so

I get the impression that most of the uncontactable folks here are actually glued to their phones and quietly ignoring those trying to reach them. So they're actively trying to be uncontactable rather than passively so

Anyone on a forum repying to posts is unlikely to be uncontactable.

One of the people I know who is uncontactable has two mobiles, often one or both is not charged and/or not in the same room as them. Often they leave home without any phone. I imagine they are nightmare to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Flinty997 wrote: »
    I imagine they are nightmare to work with.

When we work, we work 9 to 5. We are paid an active wage for our time. So you rent our time. WE have families, friends and commitments. If employers dont like us taking personal calls (that also includes social media) during work (which is perfectly reasonable, they are buying our time, "If you have time to lean you have time to clean"). These are healthy and respectful boundaries.

Yes I do look down on people ringing me during work, unless someone has died, it can wait until I get home. Professional and Personal boundaries people.

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    When we work, we work 9 to 5. We are paid an active wage for our time. So you rent our time. WE have families, friends and commitments. If employers dont like us taking personal calls (that also includes social media) during work (which is perfectly reasonable, they are buying our time, "If you have time to lean you have time to clean"). These are healthy and respectful boundaries.

Yes I do look down on people ringing me during work, unless someone has died, it can wait until I get home. Professional and Personal boundaries people.

Its not that I think everyone should be contactable all the time. But if even your friends and family find it hard to contact you outside of work ours, it must be even harder for colleague at work to contact you during work hours.

In my experience being un-contactable is a habit. Sometimes deliberate sometimes not. You'll generally find other people will have the same experience of that person. They might try to claim its just you. But no they do it to everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement