Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Foundation series

Options
  • 14-05-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

Asimov is a writer I never got around to reading.

I always thought “plenty of time for later” but now the series is coming to Apple TV soon.

I was about to buy when I discovered that Asimov’s Empire and Robot series are also apart of the Foundation universe.

I know they don’t have to be read together but I was wondering if reading the books from the three series in a certain order makes it more enjoyable or are they barely connected at all (from what I have read it seems more like an after thought to have them exist in the same timeline).

Asimov himself has given a reading order for the lot but I see that many people disagree with it in relation to Foundation itself. Plus it doesn’t include the the standalone novels Foundation novels like End of Eternity and Positronic Man.

What do you folks suggest?

Other than therapy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

It's been a while since I reread the whole series but you can't go wrong reading them in order that they were published ,

A lot of people find them like marmite or sprouts ,you either love them or hate them ,

I love them and reread them all at least once a decade .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I haven’t had a chance to read the second book yet, but the first is not what I was expecting at all. I can’t explain what I was expecting exactly but it wasn’t that the book was going to be mainly conversations set around a few moments in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Time is everything !!!

That's as deep as I go.

I’m not abandoning the series or anything like that.

I did enjoy the first book and it was a very easy read. I will start book two this week.

I would be interested to know if the first season of the series from Apple can be watched without spoiling the books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I read the series. I was a fair enough read and Mr. Asimov can be commended for his vigour in world building, however the quality of the latter books ( four onward ) reduced as he tried to tie in other elements of his works into that universe.

• Advertisement

Honestly I only read the first three as they pretty much ended that story for me.

I was only joking about the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I've basically read all the science fiction Asimov ever wrote... with the only exception being the Foundation series, for some reason.

The 1st one just didn't do it for me, but it was a good while ago. Worth taking another punt at them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I would always recommend reading the robot and empire novels before the foundation series. He does link back from foundation to the earlier series and it might make less sense not having read them. It's not essential but then the adventures of Elijah Bailey are enjoyable in my opinion. The upcoming TV show looks to me like it's mainly covering Prelude to Foundation. I could be wrong but you don't hire Jared Harris to play Hari Seldon for one or two episodes. So I would guess at the moment the TV show will only spoil that and possibly Forward the Foundation. I'm also betting that while the TV show might be good it will probably annoy me being a fan of the books but such is life. If I was making anything by Asimov into a TV show I would have started with Caves of Steel myself.

I guess your not Hari Seldon so if you are wrong we will let you off

• Advertisement

I assumed Sheldon is in a lot more of Prelude and I was expecting the show to start with the prequels but the fact that they have cast an actress in the Salvore Hardin role had me thinking that maybe they are telling both the original three books and the Prequels at the same time.

I do hope Harris is the lead for least a few seasons and isn’t doing a Ned Stark - only being the lead for a season or a few episodes.

I did see something recently that stated the show is not an exact adaptation of the books but I don’t know if that was an official comment or someone’s speculation.

It will be interesting to see if Goyer and company are including elements related to the rest of the Asimov universe - maybe Apple are considering making series and movies based on Robots, etc.

I just started Foundation and Empire.

If it isn’t a spoiler, can someone tell me how much time has elapsed since the end of the first book?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I didn't realise Salvor Hardin featured so that makes more sense. A good move to introduce more female characters. Asimov's stuff is certainly dated on that front.

There is a timeline online but full of spoilers no doubt so at a guess (assuming you mean Foundation for the first book and not the later added prequels) the first part of Foundation and Empire is probably about 100 years later and the second part probably 100 more but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I read foundation series in my youth and found it hard going. While I've re-read many books from my youth I've never felt the urge to re-read that.

Agreed, it is a sausage festival with only one female character who is less than very minor.

The intent is bring the entire book series to the screen, however, if Salvore Hardin is in the first season then either they are not starting with Prelude or there is multiple time periods unfolding through the episodes.

There isn’t that much a jump between the first and second books. I have read on and it about 40 or 50 years.

I just watched the first episode of the Apple series.

It was fantastic.

I’m very surprised that they have started with the first book and not with Prelude as others predicted. The episode shows the entire Seldon & Dornick part of the book but I’m guessing the show will detail the journey to Terminus and the setting up of the Foundation and not skip forward in time like the book (and thus Seldon and Dornick will remain the main characters) with flashforward to Salvor Hardin’s story.

I know nothing about the prequel trilogy but perhaps they don’t intend to use it.

So I guess the books are just a guide for the story.

Yes there are some major differences so far between the books and the show.

I have read the first two books I find it affected my ability to enjoy the second episode both from it being so different and because I know Sheldon can’t fest to Terminus. Maybe it because I only read them recently.

I think I will have adjusted to it when I watch the third episode and I will have read the whole series by the time season two comes - assuming there is one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Read all the books and I don't care about the gender swapping done; the genders in the book was never a major point in any form. However the atrocious additions to add "more action" annoys the heck out of me honestly.

The gender swapping is absolutely necessary as are a lot of other changes like the use of atomic power.

I was surprised though that the Emperor would have a personal shield - those are a huge advantage that the Foundation have in the books.

You are probably a few episodes ahead of me but the action I have seen so far has been good and there needs to be action - the books are mainly characters having conversations bar a few scene of action. The story would need to be livened up to make a show or movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

I think so. Personally I loved the Foundation series which is how I got started with Asimov. In fact I have read the Foundation series multiple times I like it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

The Foundation series was how I started with Asimov and really enjoyed him so much so that I have re read the Foundation series multiple times. But for some reason I did not read any other Asimov other then some of his short stories for years. But have read now the first 3 Robot books in the last couple of years and really enjoyed them and that was the spur for me to go out and buy a whole bunch more Asimov this summer including the last 2 Robot books and all the Empire books. So lots of Asimov for me to look forward to sitting currently on my to read shelves.

Ok starting to think because Gaal is a woman they are to change the time line while staying true to story? I mean % changed, romance were there was non. Paths taken that wouldn't have been otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnmcmillan

It was nice experience to reading Forward the Foundation. I found it interesting.

They stopped being true to the story about two episodes ago and I don't see a way back. Book spoilers:-

The mysterious object in the tv show was known to be a vault setup by Seldon that he would appear in over the years to update on the latest crisis he had predicted the foundation would face. There was no mystery other than they did not know for sure when he would appear. It was genuinely fun in the books when people gathered to hear his message. There were no psycho-historians on foundation and that was intentional and part of the plan. Later on the fact that the foundation had small electronic (atomic) devices like personal shields was a major plot point in that the Empire in stagnating never needed or created small devices only large atomic ships, shields etc. that required physically large power sources. Foundation gains a significant advantage later by having these smaller devices. In the TV show we see the Emperor has personal shield so thats out the window too. Crises were generally dealt with by avoiding violence and using ingenuity to outwit their enemies. This too has been dropped and was a significant reason I loved the series.

It would have been a brave and I think a successful decision to stick to the generally non-violent angle of the books. Once I feel a shows writers don't trust their audience they tend to lose mine.

Changes are necessary for adaptations to TV or movies. For example, science has made leaps forward since Asimov wrote the books, all the characters of significance were male, etc.

If they stuck to the books Hardin would be by by the fourth episode and the Foundation gone by 7.

The only thing I don’t like in the show is Hugo (only seen up the Mathematician’s Ghost so far) - why does every sci-fi series set in space keep dropping in these bad Han Solo clones.

Yep changes are necessary and the gender changes are completely fine. I said as much already. I'm assuming you didn't read my spoiler but all I will say is that tech. and the level of it over the years of the foundation is a key part of the story. Not sure what you mean by science making leaps and bounds. This is fiction and you can of course make it modern technology wise without ruining the fundamental differences between the Empire's tech. and future Foundation tech. Anyway I suspect we might not agree on this. I think so many key aspects of the book have been dropped it should at best be termed a show inspired by Foundation rather than an adaptation. Again I'm comparing to the books. The merits of the show on it's own is a different matter.

• Advertisement

Those it depend on the power source more so then the shield. You could also assume the empire would have the best of everything.

Size of the generator. Is it been powered by something in the palace and not on the person

Advertisement