Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've given you facts about Scheffler and compared him to another great golfer with the same issues over the last while who shot exactly the same round with firmer greens on Sunday.

You don't even address any of that. That's what a troll and/or clueless person does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Of course he can have an opinion on whatever he wants. He should also be respectful to his fellow pros.

Both as regards their presence at tournaments he's playing in and also to their own professional choices as to how they make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

He was playing for 18m dollars and bottled it. We would all do the same, ive no interest reading your fluff explanations.

MOD COMMENT GIVE OVER THE TROLLING/BAITING COMMENTS

Post edited by slave1 on

Some people are very angry when they hear an opinion that isnt theres. Scheffler bottled sunday imo. Rory wont win another major imo. The first is not radical at all. The 2nd has been right so far for me for about 5 yrs but i appreciate hes had an amazing season and people think he will win more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

If you were part of a members run organisation, and then some members left but also wanted to be able to come back whenever they want and also want to sue you - would you be happy to have their presence at events?

This is not as straightforward as a choice of member clubs. The PGA is/was effectively running a monopoly. Monopolies don't like competitors springing up and do all in their power to crush same. That's understandable and should be left to the business management behind said monopoly. Pro players like McIlroy should not be getting involved in criticising their fellow pros for their choices regarding participation in competing competitions. It just smells bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think Rory is a tad hypocritical given he's playing on the DP World tour over the next few tournaments. He's hardly sticking to one tour. The Saudi money is tainted alright but I do feel golfers seem to be taking the brunt of the criticism across sport in general. There are countless sporting events funded by Saudi money that get little or no hassle. Let the golfers decide and get on with it. The PGA Tour are a little petty by banning them imo but it's their choice to do so

He was chairman and now director of the player's advisory council and sits on the board - and LIV is essentially trying to sink the PGA tour. So he is surely in a place where he should, and is, getting involved. I'm not saying the PGA doesn't have a monopoly, but purely from McIlroy's position it's perfectly reasonable for him to criticize the players involved in trying to sink the tour that he is involved in the management of.

There has always been a dual agreement between the tours and the European Tour has always played second fiddle to the PGA Tour. Whether you like the PGA tour or not, you hardly expect them to just roll over and allow a competitor tour to come in?

Golfers are taking the brunt of the criticism, I guess because they have somewhat more freedom in their choices than others. I don't like a state owned tour, especially a state such as Saudi Arabia, just like I don't like state owned football clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The dual agreement between the PGA Tour and European tour is fundamentally a way for the PGA Tour to control the European tour. Allowing high ranking PGA Tour players to pick and choose DP World tour events to play in. You don't see the same agreement for the DP World tour players. LIV Golf - money aside - is just another tour. Why can't it have an agreement also? Because in the eyes of the PGA Tour it has the potential to be the main tour.

The PGA Tour objection to LIV is purely to maintain their own interests. Hardly good for the sport. If LIV wasn't backed by SA money what would your view be?

You don't see the same agreement for low ranking PGA Tour players either - it's based on world ranking and previous year's Race to Dubai ranking. Every PGA Tour member doesn't automatically get a European Tour card. The other tours are all part of the International Federation of PGA Tours, outside of the developmental tours. And as far as I'm aware, and open to correction, are not owned by anyone, particularly a despot state such as Saudi Arabia.

If it wasn't owned by Saudi Arabia, it would depend. If it followed a similar organizational structure to the other tours then I would be fine with it. I don't think you can just overlook the fact it is owned by Saudi Arabia, that's a major factor in why they shouldn't come to an agreement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You do realise that he is the Chairman of the Player Advisory Council (PAC) and was elected to that position by 'his fellow pros'

See this shows us all what we ate dealing. Under no circumstance will he get into a conversation about a golfers form or problems over the last few weeks. All he does is come up with the same crap time after time.

He never shows any knowledge of the game, he never discussed relevant points and he really just shows a general lack of intelligence.

I think the ignore list is the best place for him for me anyway. If you can't read his crap it improves the thread I think.

I think you need to grow up in life eagle eye. People will often have different opinions to you and thats okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The thing about LIV (apart from the Saudi money and the sportswashing) is that if it is successful in taking the top pros from the PGA and DP World Tours, it will result in a lowering of standards and damage the game itself.

For a pro on the LIV 'Tour', you get your payday anyway. You don't have to work as hard or as long to get a nice fat cheque. It's dumbed down and the standards will drop with that. Parallel with that is the negative affect on the other tours which will have lost that extra competitiveness due to the loss of those players. And regardless of whether the players are banned or not, they will be effectively lost from those tours since they are contractually obliged to play 14 LIV 'events'. Add in the majors (assuming they can still play in them) and they might turn up to a max of a handful of others. The FedEx and Race to Dubai will be weakened too.

Then there's the unrest and uncertainty around the whole thing with question marks over players and 'will he, won't he' kerfuffle every time they tee up in a tour event with court cases dragging on in the background. And of course the affect on attendances, fan engagement and TV money which will ultimately hurt the remaining 'regular' tour players.

So yeah, Rory is actually fine, he's got plenty of money, but it's not been about the money for him for a very long time. He sees the decimation of the tours he's played on for half his life, the chilling effect on younger players and a weaker game all round as a result. The tours bring these players up through the ranks and the junior tours and then wonder will they still be there to draw the crowds once they've won their first big event or even a major and head off to collect all that nice Saudi dough. This is a dangerous development for the sport as a whole and it's no wonder he's fighting tooth and nail against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

@rogerywalters @eagle eye take it to PM, we’ve had enough of the bickering

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

But shouldn't the (top) pros have a reasonable right to ply their trade on whatever tour is financially best for them. I've always understood this to be the basis of all professional sports people. They look about and see who is making the best offer, where best to create a career and negotiate. Why would golf be different. I just thought it odd to hear Rory say that his stomach would churn or words to that effect, if he had to share a tee with some of his fellow pros. As you say, he's made his money. Why should he hold sway on others income earning capacity? Tradition?

If you don't know why people are so against the other tour I think you should go and read about the people who are behind the money on that tour and their history. We are not allowed to discuss it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yes I hear you - but I think Rory's point is probably that he feels that these guys have made a choice - and the only reason they are able to play right now is a legal challenge in UK has said until the situation is resolved in the courts there is a stay put on any suspensions from the DP tour. The courts in the US came to a different initial conclusion in that they felt the players were aware of the probably suspensions & made sure they were financially rewarded by LIV to take that into account so the court didn't put a stay on the suspensions until the main case was heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The point I was making about Rory's earnings is that he shouldn't really care since he's already made his fortune on the PGA and European Tours. The fact is that he does, because he sees the erosion of a sport that has helped thousands of golfers earn a living. Weakening those tours will have a knock-on effect on those who actually depend on the tours for a living. And they won't have the option of going on the LIV tour since that is intended to be a limited field and (as much as possible) consist of top names.

I'm also not sure what you're referring to when you talk about professional sports people looking around for the best offer. Apart from boxing (and that's an unholy mess now) professional sports operate in geographical cells under a worldwide umbrella. So although footballers (for instance) can move from team to team or even league to league, they all operate under the worldwide body and within its rules. There was an attempt to set up a rival football league which would be analogous to this I suppose.

And therein lies a problem. But sure, Rory will do what he thinks is best for his career and team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

To be fair, long before LIV came into existence, he declined to play in SA, so his stance is consistent with his view of the rulers. Whether it is best for his career, time will tell. If more players join LIV, they somehow gain ranking points in their tournaments and players are free to participate in PGA/DP comps, his current stance may be bad for his career.

I have to say, I admire this stance on this, it is brave not just to go against LIV, but also very publicly against fellow pros who has has known all his professional life. As Phil said, the Saudis are scary motherfuckers, I’m not sure I would want to be a public enemy of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Liv is the best thing to ever happen to Rory, he's playing his best golf in 6 or 7 years imo and looks really focused and up for the fight again, with dj, brooks and cam smith off the scene now he can start winning regularly again

None of those three were regular winners and I doubt having any in the field, or not, makes a difference. History has shown that Mcilroy can turn up and be magnificent, or awful, irrespective of the competition or who plays in it. Of those three, I think only Smith is on the upslope of his career.

yes maybe but you couldnt say brooks or dj wouldn't or couldn't have a say in the big tournaments, but you get my main point it has focused mcilroy bigtime he looks like a new man, or back to the old one

I could, neither will have a say in the big tournaments.

Rory is one of and maybe the most popular golfers on the planet. He'd get 400 million easily to join that tour.

It's clear he respects all people and wouldn't support those people and their sports washing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Don't agree with that at all, he has literally done the opposite, himself and Tiger were offered obscene amounts of money and turned it down. McIlroy genuinely cares about the integrity and the future of the game and it should be applauded, thankfully the vast majority of his peers recognise this fact.

Compare what McIllroy is doing to what McDowell the bare faced liar has done and tell me which one deserves respect?

Advertisement