Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playing Conditions Calculation for Competitions

• 13-05-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the PCC for competitions? Reading USGA site it appears to be a automated calc but it also appears open to manual adjustment.

We had a competition yesterday where to the naked eye conditions were -1 with little or no breeze. But scoring wasn't great so the PCC was calculated at 3.

5.6/1 – Procedure for Performing Playing Conditions Calculation

The playing conditions calculation (PCC) will be an automatic calculation and can be summarized as follows:

Calculate the expected score for each eligible player.
    Calculate the expected standard deviation of Score Differentials at the golf course, incorporating all applicable Slope Ratings.
    Establish how many players scored better or worse than expected on the day.
    The proportion of players submitting a score equal to, better than or worse than their expected scoring range determines whether a PCC adjustment is required.
    If an adjustment is required, determine how much harder or easier the golf course played that day.
    Based on these calculations, determine any final PCC adjustment required for play on that day.
    A PCC adjustment is applied as a whole number.

Has anyone had any experience with manually adjusting PCC if deemed necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I can't answer in relation the calculation itself, but there are a few guys who are on Handicap committees on here who should be able to help.

I have a slight aside question myself though. Is there anywhere that the PCC is published when a comp closes. In the old model the SSS/CSS were published in HDID after a comp closed.

I looked on HDID for our home clubs Singles comp on Wednesday and there is no reference to PCC anywhere in the HDID app. I didn't play in the comp. Would guess that I might be able to see he details in the Golf Ireland app for the comps I play in myself once they start going?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Golf 247

I can't answer in relation the calculation itself, but there are a few guys who are on Handicap committees on here who should be able to help.

I have a slight aside question myself though. Is there anywhere that the PCC is published when a comp closes. In the old model the SSS/CSS were published in HDID after a comp closed.

I looked on HDID for our home clubs Singles comp on Wednesday and there is no reference to PCC anywhere in the HDID app. I didn't play in the comp. Would guess that I might be able to see he details in the Golf Ireland app for the comps I play in myself once they start going?

It seems it’s only available on the desktop site of Golf Ireland which would be a little frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The PCC is applied overnight. But that doesn't mean that the PCC will apply to all competition entrants. If people don't enter their scores online or on the club computer on the day and just drop in a card or enter their scores online the next day, the PCC applying to their scores is the one that applies on the day of entry rather than the day of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The PCC is applied overnight. But that doesn't mean that the PCC will apply to all competition entrants. If people don't enter their scores online or on the club computer on the day and just drop in a card or enter their scores online the next day, the PCC applying to their scores is the one that applies on the day of entry rather than the day of the competition.

But this was in a singles stableford comp, rather than a casual score entry day, so everything would have been submitted on the computers/through the app on the day in question.

Really though, I'm not disputing whether or not there was one, just trying to get a picture around if the comp details are published anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But this was in a singles stableford comp, rather than a casual score entry day, so everything would have been submitted on the computers/through the app on the day in question.

Really though, I'm not disputing whether or not there was one, just trying to get a picture around if the comp details are published anywhere
    Short answer is no. You won't see it in club software. If you played in it, you can see it on your GI record (website not app).

• Advertisement
Advertisement