Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster V Ulster: Friday 14th May Care Bear Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is it the Leinster bench and non playing contingent with the whooping and a hollering? Head wrecking

It was far worse in the European games in France. Panto stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How was the trip from the kick through not picked up by the TMO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I'd like to see Lein try some grubber kicks to counter the Uls line rush and see if they can gain advantage. Not used enough in the game imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tommy O'Brien is such a classy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

MOTM?

Hard to see beyond Henshaw
    Edit: unless you're Toland....

• Advertisement

McCloskey is been very poor again.

First thing Henderson has done tonight. Other than moan at the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Henderson beast mode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Jesus Henderson

Tmo

Edit:
    "Can't challenge non decisions"

That's me told

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that ball did actually go 10 metres.

Clegg wrote: »
    Pretty sure that ball did actually go 10 metres.

Captains challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's an interesting one on the try the ref saying you can't challenge non decisions.

But surely blowing the whistle to say it's a try is a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Did the ref just tell a Leinster player to shut up?

The biggest offside I've ever seen just happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Did the ref just tell a Leinster player to shut up?
    Yes he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What are we at. Do we need a BP?

Should've just put that out, we were absolutely blowing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ref was not in a good mood by the end :D

Ref getting a bit snotty...
    Shouting at players to shut up earlier...

• Advertisement

Very poor performance from a Leinster perspective. Lots of very sloppy attacking play and they were very passive in the opening 20 minutes. Defended well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Frustrating game but entertaining at times.

What are we at. Do we need a BP?

Yeah would've put us tied top of the table

KaneToad wrote: »
    Tmo

Edit:
    "Can't challenge non decisions"

That's me told

So what would Henshaw’s tackle earlier count as? Dangerous play? It itself was a non decision (which makes no sense as the ref asked the TMO to check as play went on). It seems this Challenge is just making the TMOs sit on their hands more.

There really needs to be clarity over when the captains challenge can be used.

It's clear that the players are confused as to when they can actually use it.

Couple of very weird decisions at the end.

First saying the try couldn't be challenged because there was no decision made, and then not letting McGrath challenge because he said the doctor said it and it wasn't the team on the field who copped it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭A-Train

Leinster got the win but not a great performance. Backs are not playing well at all I know there is a massive degree of chopping and changing going on.

The new trial laws are brutal. So much confusion about captains challenges and the goal line drop out is terrible does not reward the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fair result. The Connacht win means next to nothing now. Leinster remain a point behind but a chasm in terms of points difference. Munster will need to fail to get a BP in both of their final games for Leinster to move ahead.

Curious about the final moment. One of the Leinster support staff told McGrath to challenge something. Referee refused to do so as he said the Leinster sideline had told McGrath to do it. I don't think there's anything in the directive about that? Seems bizarre. Surely the captain is just the representative and if someone brings something to his attention, he has every right to challenge it?

Good skills and two talented teams and they went at it for the most part.

But this is a terrible competition that no ones cares about. Leinster did as much as they needed too and absolutely nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ref getting a bit snotty...
    Shouting at players to shut up earlier...

In fairness to him, he was being roared at for two minutes. Every team at it nowadays, I think they need to look at introducing a rule or consistently implementing the existing rule (as I imagine there is one already).

The Ulster try was deemed good. But it's possible that he was bundled into touch/knocked on before grounding. So, why can't that decision be challenged?

I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

First saying the try couldn't be challenged because there was no decision made, and then not letting McGrath challenge because he said the doctor said it and it wasn't the team on the field who copped it

That stuff with the doctor was nonsense, the ref just wasn’t arsed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think he just wanted to get away at this hour of a Friday night. Was a bit snappy with some of the players in the last 5 mins. Definitely ran off the field pretty sharpish too :D

ClanofLams wrote: »
    In fairness to him, he was being roared at for two minutes. Every team at it nowadays, I think they need to look at introducing a rule or consistently implementing the existing rule (as I imagine there is one already).

McGrath seemed to actually touch the retreating lazy Ulster runner with the ball before executing his pass. This prompted the Leinster shout and the refs retort. It was a clear penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A-Train wrote: »
    Leinster got the win but not a great performance. Backs are not playing well at all I know there is a massive degree of chopping and changing going on.

The new trial laws are brutal. So much confusion about captains challenges and the goal line drop out is terrible does not reward the attacking team.

When your outhalf is clearly nowhere near being fit and shouldn’t be on the pitch. It’s hard for a backline to fire.

• Advertisement

That stuff with the doctor was nonsense, the ref just wasn’t arsed anymore.

Yeah, strange reasoning. I'm not having you challenge because of who told you to do it??? What does it matter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But this is a terrible competition that no ones cares about. Leinster did as much as they needed too and absolutely nothing more.

You really wouldn't think that watching Connacht v Munster..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭A-Train

stephen_n wrote: »
    When your outhalf is clearly nowhere near being fit and shouldn’t be on the pitch. It’s hard for a backline to fire.

No I get that. It slows down the whole play but none them look like breaking at all. Look at Larmour I know he gets marshalled a lot more but he never seems to be able to make a break at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Yeah, strange reasoning. I'm not having you challenge because of who told you to do it??? What does it matter ?

I haven’t read the trial laws but I’m sure it says nothing that allows the ref to dismiss a captain’s challenge like that. Just a frustrated ref failing to do his job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

McGrath seemed to actually touch the retreating lazy Ulster runner with the ball before executing his pass. This prompted the Leinster shout and the refs retort. It was a clear penalty.

I was only half watching, I’m not saying he made the right call but he was clearly being roared at at every breakdown by both sides.

More making a general point, that happens every game these days and along with excessive celebrations for knock ons/penalties which seems to happen most games too it should be clamped down on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A-Train wrote: »
    No I get that. It slows down the whole play but none them look like breaking at all. Look at Larmour I know he gets marshalled a lot more but he never seems to be able to make a break at all now.

I think Larmour is struggling a little for form. Henshaw made loads of breaks that we didn’t really capitalize on because the ball got slowed down after.

They didn't. Leinster wanted to win with a BP tonight given the Munster result and didn't manage it.

It might be a terrible tournament but they did not play well tonight and will be disappointed with the result.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What the hell is going on with the sound in the post match analysis on eir?

clsmooth wrote: »
    I think he just wanted to get away at this hour of a Friday night. Was a bit snappy with some of the players in the last 5 mins. Definitely ran off the field pretty sharpish too :D

He’s an appalling ref. Always has been.

Ryan and Henshaw were the outstanding Leinster players tonight. I also thought Tommy O'Brien looked good off the bench. Very classy player.

Not much to shout about otherwise. We also shipped another few injuries. Getting very concerned about what's happened this season on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What the hell is going on with the sound in the post match analysis on eir?
    Nothing wrong watching it via Sky.

Clegg wrote: »
    Ryan and Henshaw were the outstanding Leinster players tonight. I also thought Tommy O'Brien looked good off the bench. Very classy player.

Not much to shout about otherwise. We also shipped another few injuries. Getting very concerned about what's happened this season on that front.

Could Leinter field a starting team made up of players who didn't get injured this season? Leinster seem to have a massive injury list every season with this season being particularly poor. I don't see other teams repeatedly experiencing the same scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Buer wrote: »
    Could Leinter field a starting team made up of players who didn't get injured this season? Leinster seem to have a massive injury list every season with this season being particularly poor. I don't see other teams repeatedly experiencing the same scenario.

Ever hear of rugby players getting injured? It's not rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Buer wrote: »

Don't feel sorry for yourself, Munster spent years without a 1st choice 10..... we go out and sign 2 big players and a full back, one of them lasts 7 minutes, the other gets injured after a month

Salamoa gets injured after 1 game and barely plays for months, Josh wicherly has a breakout perfomance, gets injured and sits out the rest of the season

Point i'm making is that every team has injuries, Leinster have nothing to complain about

Ever hear of rugby players getting injured? It's not rare.

It's not but I appreciate your concern for my awareness.

Is it rare for a fraction of a squad to go through 9 months without an injury? Or for multiple players who would be in contention for the first choice 23 to be absent in the big games at the end of the season?

Bent, Fardy, Healy, Lowe, Molony, O'Sullivan, Porter, Sheehan, VDF, Tracy and Toner.

From a quick look at the squad page on the Leinster site, those are the only players that I don't think have missed game time this season due to injuries. Surely that's well above the normal level?

• Advertisement
Advertisement