Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

~€20k motorway commuter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Murph85 wrote: »
    How much is electric that would get you there and back without charging? Diesel would be what sixty euro a week ?

You could get an id3 demo for 30k on donedeal, cheaper to run but is 10k more than ops budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭dmigsy

You could get an id3 demo for 30k on donedeal, cheaper to run but is 10k more than ops budget

Think I'd have to spend more than that to get one that would suit. The 58kWh versions have a cold-weather motorway range of 250km according to https://ev-database.org/. That's a bit tight tbh. Factor in a bit of battery fade and it might not be long before I'm checking wind direction / turning off the heating to make sure I get home / having to stop to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

If I have that budget, I'd buy this

https://www.carsireland.ie/2709246

More stuff than what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

FrankC21 wrote: »

Does the A6 even have adaptive cruise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Is that an A6 Ultra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

User1998 wrote: »
    Does the A6 even have adaptive cruise?

It's one of the (many) options alright.

Its mad the amount of executive saloons that
    don’t have adaptive cruise or have it as an optional extra that costs hundreds or even thousands when its been standard on a mid range Golf from 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Surely if you wanted a C7 you would buy one from 2011/2012 for a whole lot less?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

User1998 wrote: »
    Its mad the amount of executive saloons that
    don’t have adaptive cruise or have it as an optional extra that costs hundreds or even thousands when its been standard on a mid range Golf from 2013

I have what would be classed as an executive saloon and it doesn't have adaptive cruise, and I'm delighted.

I would never pay extra for AC. Prefer to control it myself.

Same for Lane Assist.

Anyone that needs assistance in keeping their distance from a car in front, or staying in their lane needs to take a good hard look at themselves and their driving.

Allinall wrote: »
    I have what would be classed as an executive saloon and it doesn't have adaptive cruise, and I'm delighted.

Same for Lane Assist.

Anyone that needs assistance in keeping their distance from a car in front, or staying in their lane needs to take a good hard look at themselves and their driving.

You prefer doing menial tasks yourself? Grand, knock yourself out. I'd rather let the machine take the strain. Adaptive cruise is a fantastic feature, works superbly. Had it in a couple of Golfs. Makes a motorway drive safer and more relaxing.

Anyone who uses minor car option preferences in order to look down their noses at others needs to take a good hard look at themselves and their posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

dmigsy wrote: »
    You prefer doing menial tasks yourself? Grand, knock yourself out. I'd rather let the machine take the strain. Adaptive cruise is a fantastic feature, works superbly. Had it in a couple of Golfs. Makes a motorway drive safer and more relaxing.

Anyone who uses minor car option preferences in order to look down their noses at others needs to take a good hard look at themselves and their posting.

What strain?

I didn't look down my nose at anyone.

What strain?

I didn't look down my nose at anyone.

Constant minor tweaks of speed. You certainly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Surely if you wanted a C7 you would buy one from 2011/2012 for a whole lot less?

You'd be surprised. The effects of Covid and everyone WFH and not driving means there's been less trade-ins, added to the effects of Brexit and the NoX charges meaning less imports from the UK resulting in higher second-hand prices.

I recently bought a 2012 A7 and the prices were not cheap, unless you want something private sale and high miles, which I didn't - although mine is also a pretty high spec car which was reflected in the price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

It's not about needing assistance as you put it, not in the slightest.

A) The make all driving far more relaxed. You can sit there, and never have to worry about adjusting your speed, and arrive far more relaxed.

B) If you ever become incapacitated behind the wheel, a car with ACC and LKA might just bring you safely to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anyway he should get a car with some form of cruise control. I wouldn't be swayed between an A6 and a golf based on ACC

Same for Lane Assist.

Ah give over your only saying that because you’ve never used it. Whatever about lane assist, but adaptive cruise control is one of the best features you can get in a car

OP here. Test drove a couple of 2015/16 e-class which I liked but ended up going for something a lot cheaper that ticked nearly all the boxes. Picked up a 2017 Fiat Tipo diesel hatch. DCT auto, cruise control, auto lights/wipers. Great condition and only 32,000km. Drove back on the motorway for an hour this morning. Perfect yoke for the job. Cheers for all your suggestions.

Advertisement