Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Original Song - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
    Smokie Robinson and the Miracles - I Heard It Through The Gravepine
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Who covered these songs I never heard of before: Chains, Look at Your Game Girl and Simple Man?

Don't think this was released on any album though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction Vs The Supremes - Keep Me Hanging On

Smokie Robinson and the Miracles - I Heard It Through The Gravepine Vs Gloria Jones - Tainted love. Don’t think I heard the original by Smokie and Co. before, but it’s good. Both are good originals, but this is the better of the two.

The Cookies - Chains Vs Charles Manson - Look At Your Game Girl. Never heard either song before (original or covered), but I prefer Chains. It’s kind of hard to get beyond who is singing the second song. I wonder will many vote for him?

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary Vs Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man. Again, I never heard this song before (original or covered), but I really like it. It beats the other, which I do know. I will be adding to that my list of discovered gems!

Who covered these songs I never heard of before: Chains, Look at Your Game Girl and Simple Man?
    Guns and Roses covered Manson's song. It's on The Spaghetti Incident and it is not great.
    Youtube is suggesting Manson interviews to me after watching his song :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Interesting nugget... Marvin recorded IHITTG earlier but didnt release it until 68 so Gladys Knight and the Pips hold the honour of releasing their version first in 67.

Both excellant Enjoy.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction 6 Vs 3 The Supremes - Keep Me Hanging On
    Smokie Robinson and the Miracles - I Heard It Through The Gravepine 2 Vs 6 Gloria Jones - Tainted love
    The Cookies - Chains 6 Vs Charles Manson - Look At Your Game Girl
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary 3 Vs 6 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

• Advertisement

^^^
    Creedence did a fine version too..

4 more and we can continue tomorrow, thanks as always.

R1/M45

Lis Sorensen - Braendt (Torn) Vs Al Green - Take Me to the River

R1/M46

Dale Hawkins - Susie-Q Vs Skids - The Saints Are Coming

R1/M47

Keith Whitley - When You Say Nothing at All Vs David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

R1/M48

Linda Clifford - All the Man I Need Vs Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

Lis Sorensen - Braendt (Torn) Vs Al Green - Take Me to the River
    Dale Hawkins - Susie-Q Vs Skids - The Saints Are Coming
    Keith Whitley - When You Say Nothing at All Vs David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
    Linda Clifford - All the Man I Need Vs Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
    Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

lol..was checking out who covered the rolling stones..apart from every covers band... came across no less Otis Redding.and his version was termed anarchic in the press! Susposedly he said he changed words as sure he didnt know them anyway...haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Lis Sorensen - Braendt (Torn)

Skids - The Saints Are Coming

Al green
    David Bowie
    Simple minds
    I will have to think a bit longer on the other I am betwixed and between on the options

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Lis Sorensen - Braendt (Torn) Vs Al Green - Take Me to the River. I actually prefer Talking Head’s version (the studio version, not the live version), but the original is still good and beats the other song.

Dale Hawkins - Susie-Q Vs Skids - The Saints Are Coming. Tough one – both are great original versions. I will have to go for the punky energy in the end. The lead guitarist was none other than future Big Country front man Stuart Adamson.

Linda Clifford - All the Man I Need Vs Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me. This is another song that I have never heard before (any version). It’s alright and it beats one of Simple Minds more annoying songs.

Who covered All the Man I Need?

speckle wrote: »
    lol..was checking out who covered the rolling stones..apart from every covers band... came across no less Otis Redding.and his version was termed anarchic in the press! Susposedly he said he changed words as sure he didnt know them anyway...haha

I prefer his version to the original, has a great energy and groove to it, esp live. :cool:

Al Green - Take Me to the River ...one smooth cat :cool:
    Dale Hawkins - Susie-Q

Somebody said on another thread that Natalie I stole the Torn song off that Lis S lady. Did she really rip it off and not credit your one as the writer?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Al Green - Take Me to the River
    Keith Whitley - When You Say Nothing at All (Ronan and his voice really do justice to the cover from Nothing Hill, even Julia Roberts is a fan)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dale Hawkins - Susie-Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Al Green - Take Me to the River - I didn't even know that Torn was a cover, nice original but will vote for Al Green, I think I nominated it or was the last one I eliminated

Dale Hawkins - Susie-Q

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me - Never heard of Linda Clifford's version and it's quite nice but Don't You is iconic (though none of the covers came even close)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Who covered All the Man I Need?

Whitney Houston in the Bodyguard soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Lis Sorensen - Braendt (Torn)

People were talking about covers of The Rolling Stones' Satisfaction.

This is the cover that I am most familiar with (by Devo):

• Advertisement

Dale Hawkins...really liked both songs so went looking at the covers.. didnt like the u2/greenday cover of the skids but what a long list of artists covered Suzie Q...I only knew of one cover beforehand!

speckle wrote: »
    Dale Hawkins...really liked both songs so went looking at the covers.. didnt like the u2/greenday cover of the skids but what a long list of artists covered Suzie Q...I only knew of one cover beforehand!

Creedence Clearwater Revival?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Same please.
    I wonder who covered Simple Man and Boys of Summer?

I nominated Boys Of Summer despite preferring the cover by The Ataris way more

Perhaps not to everyone's taste

Also nominated Simple Man from Shinedowns cover. Another song I much prefer the cover! A recurring theme!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

lassykk wrote: »

Never heard that version before, really like it.

Zaph wrote: »
    Never heard that version before, really like it.

They have some other cracking songs as well if you like that genre. I'm nervous recommending them as my mates slate my taste in music

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

That isn't terrible. Original is still better x 1000. A stone cold classic.

Also nominated Simple Man from Shinedowns cover. Another song I much prefer the cover! A recurring theme!

I had a listen with some trepidation, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a good cover, although I would prefer the original by Don Henley.

quickbeam wrote: »
    That isn't terrible. Original is still better x 1000. A stone cold classic.

I'm sure most if not all would agree with you too. I do like the original as wouldn't have nominated otherwise but not as much

• Advertisement

Creedence Clearwater Revival?

Elverly brothers was what came to mind first...didnt think of CcR at all!

Advertisement