Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 5: Modena to Cattolica (177km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

****e stage.

Poor Landa.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There was nothing good about the stage. Flat as a pancake. There was no discernable breakaway, even the smaller teams were not too fussed in getting the shirts on tv. Then the last 20km or so were a minefield with tight corners and roundabouts.

And of course because of that, we lose a contender from the GC.

I know not every stage cant be a belter but when the race organisers were designing the tour, did any actually think "oh this will be a belter". Maybe they were looking at crosswinds, who knows. It was still a bit of a nonsense stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That was a sensational finish from Ewan.

The organisers need to take a hard look at themselves after choosing such a technical finish like that. Especially since the whole peloton would be in one group after the pan-flat route. F**king crazy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I know not every stage can be a belter but when the race organisers were designing the tour, did any actually think "oh this will be a belter". Maybe they were looking at crosswinds, who knows. It was still a bit of a nonsense stage.

It reminds me of the 253km sprint stage last year which was eventually halved after the riders refused to start - week 3 after several days in the mountains and they threw that sh1t at them. And it was pissing rain too! Clearly critical thinking is absent, at least to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the Peleton knew of the ending and there was a general agreement for there to be no serious breakaway. They didn't let the first 2 lads get away far and they were realed in halfway through the stage. And the second breakaway were always within arms reach.

They kind of knew that they didn't want to be chasing down a group of 4-5 into the last 10-15km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

The organisers need to take a hard look at themselves after choosing such a technical finish like that. Especially since the whole peloton would be in one group after the pan-flat route. F**king crazy :mad:
    BUT BUT BUT None ofthe riders were in puppy paws position and the socks were of legit height so it surely cant be the responsibilty of the UCI if the riders cant avoid stupid traffic islands.....

(and in case anyone loses their sh1t with my post make sure your sarcasm detector is set to max )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Landa out and in hospital with a suspected broker collarbone.
    Bidard from AG2R went down in the same crash and is also out with a broken collarbone.
    Dombrowski remounted and finished but was taken to hospital with suspected concussion.
    Sivakov now also pulls out with an injured shoulder.

Carnage.

Just watched the highlights there on S4C and apart from it sounding like dwarves from Lord of the rings the last 5km looked horrendous, littered with bumps lumps and roundabouts.

Landa and collar bones, was it San Sabastian in 2018 himself and possibly Quintana crashed and he broke his collar bone? Season over. Back racing in the early season 2019 in one of the early Spanish stage races and does the collar bone again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Today is Dombrowski's birthday :o
    From the high of winning the stage yesterday to the low of crashing this afternoon

Today is Dombrowski's birthday :o
    From the high of winning the stage yesterday to the low of crashing this afternoon

Possible concussion for him according to the team.

Not for the squeamish, incident from another side

https://twitter.com/ruedalenticular/status/1392558171437285376?s=19

^ You really get a sense of the speeds involved from that.

Never heard anything about the flagman so i presume he's ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

retalivity wrote: »

Based on how fast the flag disappeared he got a right smack. Likewise hope he is ok.

From the over head (just seeing it now on the breakaway) it looked like Dombrowski was the one to hit the flagman and took out Landa and Bidard as they passed.

EDIT: Sivakov is out according to the team

https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1392567607702720519

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Surely there's a better way to warn them about an island than a human being stood in the middle of the road. Some balls needed just to stand there even.

retalivity wrote: »

I thought I saw him get up pretty quickly and walking away - that could also have been self-preservation before the shock kicked in though.

I thought I saw him get up pretty quickly and walking away - that could also have been self-preservation before the shock kicked in though.

Looks like he got some thump from Dombrowski

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1392544619108478983

• Advertisement

In the video on the previous page you can see him getting to his feet, I'm pretty sure I saw an overhead yesterday where he was walking/stumbling away

Advertisement