Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting a job on the first day/week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is something great about quitting a job you hate. I quit a job after around 17 days, a boring office job that I was never going to be happy doing. words cant describe how happy I was that day after telling the boss I quit. one of the best days of my life.

I got a $hit job picking mushrooms while in school. The first day was a saturday, I had been at a youth disco the night before and was pretty hungover, worked from around 9am to 2pm, got paid something crazy like 7 euro. you just got paid by how much you picked, I wasn't feeling great but I actually picked a lot. I turned up a week later to get paid. They asked me was I coming back, I just laughed and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I did two days at a commission-only sales job where I had to come into the office at 7am and return at 7 or 8 that evening. It was a shocking place altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

retalivity wrote: »
    Door to door sales in Canada.
    Cant even remember what i was supposed to be selling, went to the induction on the first day, they mentioned that it was commision only and started on the hard sell techniques. Left at lunch time.

Ha. That's weird. I had the exact same experience in Canada as well.

Was called by a recruiter about a role. Went to the 'interview' which was not at all that and was exactly as you described above, and when your man had left the room around lunchtime I said "fúck that" and walked out.

Any chance you were selling Aircon/heating sealing equipment or something?

I can't remember the name of the company, but all I recall was that they had the worst logo I've ever come across.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There is something great about quitting a job you hate. I quit a job after around 17 days, a boring office job that I was never going to be happy doing. words cant describe how happy I was that day after telling the boss I quit. one of the best days of my life.

I got a $hit job picking mushrooms while in school. The first day was a saturday, I had been at a youth disco the night before and was pretty hungover, worked from around 9am to 2pm, got paid something crazy like 7 euro. you just got paid by how much you picked, I wasn't feeling great but I actually picked a lot. I turned up a week later to get paid. They asked me was I coming back, I just laughed and walked out.

Yup. I worked for Ulster Bank back in 2003. They posted me out to the middle of no where despite my lack of car.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy at any stage with the role.

Ended up going into the manager one Friday and just saying I had enough. And walked out that evening.

The feeling I got as I heard the door close behind me was exhilarating and liberating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not me, but I knew a guy who worked his first day in an abattoir, and just couldn't go back again. Seemingly it's very common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I quit a bar job years ago when the owner came to me on my 2nd day and asked me to go and clear the toilets. I asked what the problem was and he said that someone had blocked it and it was overflowing with Shiite and piss etc. I asked where the plunger etc was and i'd clear it and he said I don't have time for that, just stick your arm down it, clear it and wash your arm afterwards! I said not a chance and i'd go an get a plunger but he ordered me to go clear it there and then. I refused and he said he'd sack me if I didn't do it so I told him to go fcuk himself as I quit. He changed his tune then and said ok go and get a plunger to do it and I told him 'do it yourself you fat prick' and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Like others here, a couple of jobs in Oz that last a day or less.

First one was a marketing company working for big brands like the AFL and NRL in Melbourne. I'd done some work with the FAI so seemed a good fit. Went for the interview which was in some fantastic office in Melbourne. They offered me a job and said I'd be working at different location. They sent it to me and it was very awkward to get to. When I got there I met another guy and both of us would be selling scratch cards to fund special Olympics Australia team with very little money going back in to the actual charity. I ended out spending a few hours there before hopping the train home.

The worst one though was about 15 mins into a job selling utilities (cold calling) I made one call, was reading a preprepared script and was told to **** of by an outback Ozzy fella and thought **** this. HR person caught me in the lift and asked where I was going, "to get a coffee". Given they'd massively lied about the position and salary, I didn't mind lying to them.

I worked on a farm in oz which I only earned 36 dollars for a day once and it was preferable to either of the other snake oil sales roles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Motivator wrote: »
    I lasted a matter of hours in a job that I’m not even sure I actually had. Did three interviews and got awful vibes off the place and the people in the first interview but I needed the job so I went back for the second and then the third was a one to one meeting with the CEO. I got a call the day before that meeting from the recruiter saying the job was mine, anyone who gets to round three more or less has it and it’s just a final sign off from the CEO if he’s happy.

I went in to his office and put out my hand to shake his, he ignored me. I sat down and put my CV on his desk. He picked it up and put it in the bin. I sat there not knowing whether to laugh or cry so did nothing, I just sat there. He looked at his phone and then started talking. “We’re only advertising this position because our contract with the suppliers means we need to have a person employed with the title of XXXX. I don’t want anyone in the role, I think the title of XXXX is a total waste of time and I don’t believe in it. If you want to work for me, you need to be able to pitch in and help out with anything and everything”. I said fine no problem, I’m here to work but as long as I get the actual work done in the position that I applied for then I would do anything, I’m a team player etc etc. Very brief chat about the company and he told me to go in and talk to Frank.

I went and saw Frank who was an equally cold and rude bastard. I was told I was to sit there until he came back. He put on his jacket and took his keys off his desk and walked out. The receptionist came in to me after an hour apologising saying he was a pig etc. I asked what the hell is going on and she said “this is how this place is”. I was there probably 3 hours and different people were in to talk to me to welcome me to the company. I asked if I had the job and they said I must have because I was sitting in Frank’s office....I didn’t even know who Frank was or what he did.

It was hitting lunchtime so I said I’d go and ask the CEO what was going on and did I have the job. I walked in and he said “you knocked but didn’t wait to be told to come in”. My reply was that if I had the job I wanted a contract in front of me in the next 30 seconds. If there’s no contract then I’m going home and I won’t be back. He said he hadn’t made up his mind whether I had the job or not. I basically asked what was he playing and why was he expecting me to wait around sitting on my arse all day. His reply was “because I can”.

I turned around, walked out and rang the recruiter and ate her out of it. I also sent a lovely email to the supplier the CEO mentioned and explained what happened. I never got a reply but I did find out that about 6 months later the company lost that supplier and have never replaced them which has hurt the company in a big way. Absolute pigs in the company, every one of them and I spent quite a bit of time blackening their name to all and sundry for a long time afterwards out of sheer pettiness but I enjoyed doing it.

Ughh LOVEE it. Nothing better than arseholes getting their just deserts. You can't go around treating people like those guys did, comes back to bite you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I started a job in Australia years back cold calling to sell what I was told was going to be life insurance to under 60s. I wasn't planning on sticking around long as it's not my general field of work, but I had just landed in the country and this would do while I was looking for something better. Started on a Monday, did 4 days of training, then on Friday around lunchtime we got put out on calls... only to be told we were selling funeral insurance to retirees, with a pre-made script that was basically trying to tell people they'll be dead soon and not to be selfish by landing their kids with the bill. I lasted about 2 hours, spoke to 3-4 people beyond being hung up on (because cold calling), and walked.

I also worked in Henry Jermyn in my early 20s for 2-3 days until the owner, none other than Dragons Den's Niall O'Farrell enters and started screaming at me in front of a few shocked customers for not basically bending the knee to him the moment he walked in the door (I was on a call with a client and writing down info on them collecting their order at the time he walked in) - told him to stick it and walked. I had been warned about him by staff as soon as I started, as apparently the only time they had seen him in any sort of good mood was when he was coked off his face at the Christmas party a few weeks before.

On the flipside of the above, I also remember being in an Insomnia coffee shop right beside Stephen's Green early one morning in town before and exam. In walks another Dragons Den investor (Bobby Kerr) and starts right into conversation with all the staff who he had each of on a first name basis, asking how the weekend went and how the kids are getting on etc. I know almost nothing about Kerr beyond seeing him on that show a few times, but it was nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Three shifts.

It was a petrol station near Harold's Cross when I was in college at the age of 20.

I realised on the first or second shift that its proximity to a rather... disadvantaged housing estate meant that it regularly had customers who were more interested in being pests than buying petrol. And getting smart with them would probably find me on the wrong end of a knife.

Quit after 3 shifts. I wasn't the first and they weren't surprised.

I didn't think about it much until I got paid. They accidentally paid me three MONTHS contracted money rather than three days. €900.

I took the money, said nothing and chalked it up to being danger pay :pac:

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Like others here, a couple of jobs in Oz that last a day or less.

First one was a marketing company working for big brands like the AFL and NRL in Melbourne. I'd done some work with the FAI so seemed a good fit. Went for the interview which was in some fantastic office in Melbourne. They offered me a job and said I'd be working at different location. They sent it to me and it was very awkward to get to. When I got there I met another guy and both of us would be selling scratch cards to fund special Olympics Australia team with very little money going back in to the actual charity. I ended out spending a few hours there before hopping the train home.

The worst one though was about 15 mins into a job selling utilities (cold calling) I made one call, was reading a preprepared script and was told to **** of by an outback Ozzy fella and thought **** this. HR person caught me in the lift and asked where I was going, "to get a coffee". Given they'd massively lied about the position and salary, I didn't mind lying to them.

I worked on a farm in oz which I only earned 36 dollars for a day once and it was preferable to either of the other snake oil sales roles

Cold calling surveying job I had in Melbourne... All coming back to me. I lasted 2 evenings. My mate lasted the whole 3 months! The absolute lunatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Have any of you had any trouble getting a reference after walking out?

Have any of you had any trouble getting a reference after walking out?

No. I wouldn't want a reference from a job I left in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Long time ago but I left a Supervalu job at lunchtime on my third day. I was hired as a trainee store manager in a shop they were still building in my local town. They said they wanted me to work in their other shop for training while the building was being finished. That was 2 hours over the worst roads away, so I said no problem so long as I was actually training.

I got there on day one and they had me doing work the part time kids wouldn't be asked to do. The second morning I asked what Id be at the rest of the week, and was given a brush and told to sweep the huge yard out the back. Day 3 the manager, the dryest human child you will ever meet in your life, pointed to the senior manager and said "my dream in life is to be him. Your dream in life needs to be to be me".

I handed him his brush and went on my way.

:pac: Holy SHIT

What a spanner. I would have told the wanker that he was the greatest argument for birth control and then, like you, handed him the brush and split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Didn’t quit myself but saw it a few times

From around 2003 I was working in a very busy bar in a hotel

New young fella started. Around 17/18. You just knew by him he was not interested in work. Slouched in, arsed around the place. Look of boredom on his face.

Anyway the manager gave him a bit of a quick introduction lesson to the bar then had him going around collecting glasses.

Then later in the day he was asked to help another bar back to lift empty bottles down to the cellar. It’s physical work but nothing crazy.

He lasted until around 6pm then more or less got ratty with the manager and left on the spot.

His father came in a few days later to collect his salary for the day!

Jesus, he was so useless that he had to have his father collect his pay pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Only time I ever walked out a job was as follows:

I was a middle manager with a security company. They were always failing to pay the staff on Friday. I would spend my weekends taking calls from irate staff who were rightly pissed off. Usually spent my weekends driving around paying the desperate lads out of my own pocket, and then demanding the money on a Monday morning - which I always got back.

Cue one Friday - email went around to say that there was not enough money to pay all the lads again. A couple of hours later the Financial Director and owner of the company are in the carpark showing off their brand new company cars which they picked up that morning - which were bought outright. An Audi A6 and a 5 Series. Well over €100,000 in total.

At the same time as these twats are showing off their cars, staff were turning up to the office and kicking up a stink about not being paid.

I walked out there and then and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Jesus, he was so useless that he had to have his father collect his pay pacman.gif

I once had a fella so useless I had to let him go 4 months into a 6 month contract, even though we were understaffed.

His father wrote me a letter asking if he could resign rather than have his contract terminated, and sent me a thank you card afterwards when I agreed. One of Clongowes finest - I think his father had already realised how much of a waste the fees had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matteyd

I quit a job in a petrol station after two weeks. The staff were like dogs to each other, and often shouted and roared at each other on the shop floor. One time in particular I was manning one till in rush hour, while two grown men were yelling at the other till.

"You lied to get me to cover your shift"

"I've worked for 20 days straight and I need a f***ing break"

Pretty appalling. The selfproclaimed "manageress" went around in black sandals with her gnarly baby pink toenails on display, not really the time or place for it, especially with food around. She promised shift flexibility around college but didn't want to hear from me after my first day, ignored my calls, rostered me outside of what I told her my available hours were, etc. So I sent her a text saying I quit and she called me back inside 5 minutes. No thanks.

I started a job in Australia years back cold calling to sell what I was told was going to be life insurance to under 60s. I wasn't planning on sticking around long as it's not my general field of work, but I had just landed in the country and this would do while I was looking for something better. Started on a Monday, did 4 days of training, then on Friday around lunchtime we got put out on calls... only to be told we were selling funeral insurance to retirees, with a pre-made script that was basically trying to tell people they'll be dead soon and not to be selfish by landing their kids with the bill. I lasted about 2 hours, spoke to 3-4 people beyond being hung up on (because cold calling), and walked.

I also worked in Henry Jermyn in my early 20s for 2-3 days until the owner, none other than Dragons Den's Niall O'Farrell enters and started screaming at me in front of a few shocked customers for not basically bending the knee to him the moment he walked in the door (I was on a call with a client and writing down info on them collecting their order at the time he walked in) - told him to stick it and walked. I had been warned about him by staff as soon as I started, as apparently the only time they had seen him in any sort of good mood was when he was coked off his face at the Christmas party a few weeks before.

On the flipside of the above, I also remember being in an Insomnia coffee shop right beside Stephen's Green early one morning in town before and exam. In walks another Dragons Den investor (Bobby Kerr) and starts right into conversation with all the staff who he had each of on a first name basis, asking how the weekend went and how the kids are getting on etc. I know almost nothing about Kerr beyond seeing him on that show a few times, but it was nice to see.

I love bobby Kerr, especially his business show on Newstalk on Saturdays. You would know from listening to him that he is a sound guy. The rest of the Irish dragons den crew I wouldn't be a fan of. it is probably small man syndrome with Niall O Farrell?

:pac: Holy SHIT

What a spanner. I would have told the wanker that he was the greatest argument for birth control and then, like you, handed him the brush and split.

The best reaction to what that guy said would be to look at him and burst out laughing, be in hysterics laughing for ages, then hand him the brush and walk out. That would really bruise his ego.

• Advertisement

I love bobby Kerr, especially his business show on Newstalk on Saturdays. You would know from listening to him that he is a sound guy. The rest of the Irish dragons den crew I wouldn't be a fan of. it is probably small man syndrome with Niall O Farrell?

Bobby Kerr has such an infectious enthusiasm for.doing right by anyone who wants to give a business a go. He's hard not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

did it in Australia, spent a half day walking around some suburb of sydney trying to sell gas heating

it was the middle of their summer

got on a bus at lunch time and never went back

Did the exact same thing in Melbourne years ago, was told it was a sales job but not door to door.
    Passed interview, told to go in the car with some random sales guy, plus 2 other lads
    walking into shops trying to sell an all in one flashlight/safety light for your car
    4 of us....together..... madness
    2 of us home before lunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Only once. When the crash happened I took a sales job with the car buyers guide. Absolutely awful, literally going through car ads in various newspapers and cold calling people to try and get them to place an ad in the magazine. Horrible, oppressive environment, intense pressure on all staff, utter contempt from all floor staff for management, I lasted 3 or 4 days but couldn't hack it any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

did it in Australia, spent a half day walking around some suburb of sydney trying to sell gas heating

it was the middle of their summer

got on a bus at lunch time and never went back

Had a door to door sales job over there also, knew it was going to be awful but told myself I wouldn’t pack it in.
    Best day was selling gym membership and someone in a wheelchair answers the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Had a door to door sales job over there also, knew it was going to be awful but told myself I wouldn’t pack it in.
    Best day was selling gym membership and someone in a wheelchair answers the door.

Lots of wheelchair users are serious gym users. Once the equipment is designed properly, they should be able to use most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Lots of wheelchair users are serious gym users. Once the equipment is designed properly, they should be able to use most of it.

Yes, but I didn’t want to try to sell him something because if he wasn’t then I could come across as a pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Callcentre job in Blackrock Dublin. Not a big company, pretty small.

It wasn't sales, more surveys and market research. Like you bought a BMW from some Dublin dealership and they sell hundreds a year so give a contract to the firm to get surveys. I belive their biggest contracts are newspapers and politics but I didn´t stick around to do that

I learned people are graded like ABC1 and I did some calls and got abused ta feck. I wasn't trying to sell anything, just ask questions :(

Was gone by lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Genuinely think he chickened out of coming back so got daddy dearest to show up

He was fairly obnoxious. We as working bar staff were beneath him, immature attitude.

The brief conversation I had with him he mentioned he wanted to get into dinosaur animation .....right!!

Still remember it as was so random

Ya know yerself the type - wouldn’t work to warm himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Plenty of stories about o Farrell over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Only once. When the crash happened I took a sales job with the car buyers guide. Absolutely awful, literally going through car ads in various newspapers and cold calling people to try and get them to place an ad in the magazine. Horrible, oppressive environment, intense pressure on all staff, utter contempt from all floor staff for management, I lasted 3 or 4 days but couldn't hack it any longer.

I did that same job in the early 2000s, lasted two soul-destroying days, rang in sick on the third, and didn't bother going back. I'm probably still on the books there, so archaic was their attitude to technology.

Advertisement