Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Toilet plans beside English Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Id put a massive public toilet between Nash 19 and Clancy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Yeah I see where they're coming from. Yes, public toilets are needed, but that's not a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Always the same with amenities in this country.

We moan when we don't have them.
    We moan when they pick the spot for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jcb21

Cant really blame them. Especially when the toilets across the road are a boarded up eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Taisce might object due to emissions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Jcb21 wrote: »
    Cant really blame them. Especially when the toilets across the road are a boarded up eyesore.

Yep. Not to mention, there is a public toilet already inside the English Market. (I haven't used it since December, I'm assuming it's still open to the public.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭notAMember

++ We don't listen to people with experience and expertise.

That building is the largest tourist attraction in the city.
    It's a food-centric facility.
    It's OLD. There are sewers in there currently with long-standing problems, needing a lot of back-flushing and constant maintenance.
    It's beautiful, an asset to our city and should be maintained / improved.

Putting a set of stinky toilets beside veg and meat traders seems short-sighted when there is an abandoned boarded up set of toilets directly across the street. Redevelop those, and instead augment the english market with a tenancy at the front that is visually attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

notAMember wrote: »
    ++ We don't listen to people with experience and expertise.

That building is the largest tourist attraction in the city.
    It's a food-centric facility.
    It's OLD. There are sewers in there currently with long-standing problems, needing a lot of back-flushing and constant maintenance.
    It's beautiful, an asset to our city and should be maintained / improved.

Putting a set of stinky toilets beside veg and meat traders seems short-sighted when there is an abandoned boarded up set of toilets directly across the street. Redevelop those, and instead augment the english market with a tenancy at the front that is visually attractive.

yeah a mate of mine works in TEM and was telling me that they have awful trouble as it is with the sewage system.. and apparently TEM have been trying to hav that building incorporated into THE for an age but to now avail..

Surely there has to be lots of other more suitable places where they could have public loos.. so many vacant buildings around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What wrong with reusing and renovating the existing toilet block that's not very far away to be fair?
    But no, some city hall pen pusher has to choose a clearly ridiculous unsuitable location.
    A child could see theres something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They aren't going to be next to the fruit and veg and there's already a toilet in the English Market - this one won't be.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They aren't going to be next to the fruit and veg and there's already a toilet in the English Market - this one won't be.

The location being discussed is between Superfruit (fruit and veg) and O'Mahony's (meat).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not sure that this is the best location for these necessary toilets but when I hear that "the market traders" are up in arms, my gut tells me that the opposite to what these traders want is, in fact the best thing.

These are the same traders who blocked the extension of the market with the capitol development.
    The same traders campaigned strongly against the pana traffic restrictions.

Also, in my experience, these are not the views of all the market traders, just the ones who shout the loudest and most often!

The location being discussed is between Superfruit (fruit and veg) and O'Mahony's (meat).

Hilsers between the two entrances.

I'm not sure that this is the best location for these necessary toilets but when I hear that "the market traders" are up in arms, my gut tells me that the opposite to what these traders want is, in fact the best thing.

These are the same traders who blocked the extension of the market with the capitol development.
    The same traders campaigned strongly against the pana traffic restrictions.

Also, in my experience, these are not the views of all the market traders, just the ones who shout the loudest and most often!

They also demanded that Oliver Plunket Street be turned into a car infested rat run last year for click and collect. The English Market is great, but some of the traders are a joke.

They also demanded that Oliver Plunket Street be turned into a car infested rat run last year for click and collect. The English Market is great, but some of the traders are a joke.

Yes, I forgot about that one.

I spoke to some traders who were very much against this but it wasn't their voices that were heard.

Hilsers between the two entrances.

Yes exactly there.
    Directly behind that is superfruit and to the right is the butcher.

Yes exactly there.
    Directly behind that is superfruit and to the right is the butcher.

I assume the proposed toilets will have walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was hoping more for an open air urinal like at a outdoor concert.

I was hoping more for an open air urinal like at a outdoor concert.

Or just a hole dug in the ground with a fence around it!
    Remember them?

Yeah, walls are a solution to everything. Totally makes stinking excrement repositories stuffed with junkies both invisible and smell proof.
    Well , unless they need to include doors too. Then the plan falls apart.

• Advertisement

What's your point?

The point is proximity to food service businesses are not a concern in this scenario . One would assume the door will be out to the streetside and like most major toilets have a lobby between the toilets and the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I'd with the traders here. There are toilets across the street that should be refurbished instead and something more appealing put here considering the English Market is probably the biggest attraction in the immediate city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It looks like this is a response to the people on the piss over the last few months around the corner who are pissing everywhere. Apparantly these toilets if they go ahead will be closed at 8pm anyway so that will not stop people pissing in all the laneways between the South mall and Oliver Plunkett st anyway. You can smell the urine from Grafton st about 20 metres away. I've had my couple of cans there over the last few weeks in the evening but it has been getting out of control and I'm gone by 8pm.

I can only imagine the front of some people’s homes if they think installing a toilet door on the front facade of a historic tourist attraction is a genius idea.

Talk about cowboy builder land!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Whether it's right or wrong, public toilets attract the drug addicts and drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I can only imagine the front of some people’s homes if they think installing a toilet door on the front facade of a historic tourist attraction is a genius idea.

Talk about cowboy builder land!
    What is it now, stickers over the windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apparently some of the traders had an alternative plan for that closed unit.

They wanted some sort of tourist display/reception area and were in discussions with another section of the council and other tourism bodies.

elperello wrote: »
    Apparently some of the traders had an alternative plan for that closed unit.

They wanted some sort of tourist display/reception area and were in discussions with another section of the council and other tourism bodies.

Yeah that's a good idea as currently people visit the market and its just to wander around . Something to add some cohesion to the experience might be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

yenom wrote: »
    Whether it's right or wrong, public toilets attract the drug addicts and drinkers.

Not having public toilets doesn't make addicts and drinkers disappear magically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

yenom wrote: »

These will be supervised toilets so would hope they'll be well maintained and safe - similar to toilets you'd get in a restaurant (am I being too optimistic here?). I actually wouldn't mind having to pay a small fee to a toilet attendant like you do in some European countries if it meant nice clean facilities.

Advertisement