Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick after running advice

Options
  • 08-05-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

Backstory I just started running about 2 months ago, have been doing 5km 3-4 times a week. I have moving up the Km’s now & again in the last few weeks. I completed a 10km last Sunday & loved it, very comfortable & fine afterwards.

I ran 5km Monday & 5km Thursday, found it harder than usual but nothing major. I ran 10km this morning, it was warm & really had to push through to get it done. When I got home I felt terrible, I had a splitting headache, very nauseous with dizziness & shaking. It’s took hours to feel better & still not 100% yet. I drank 2 pints of water as soon as I got home & took one of the kids dioralytes an hour later to try help but it made the nausea worst.

Anyone able to give advice? Was it too much too soon? Possibly the heat?

It would make me think twice before running 10km anytime soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

dizzydoll wrote: »
    Hi all,

Backstory I just started running about 2 months ago, have been doing 5km 3-4 times a week. I have moving up the Km’s now & again in the last few weeks. I completed a 10km last Sunday & loved it, very comfortable & fine afterwards.

I ran 5km Monday & 5km Thursday, found it harder than usual but nothing major. I ran 10km this morning, it was warm & really had to push through to get it done. When I got home I felt terrible, I had a splitting headache, very nauseous with dizziness & shaking. It’s took hours to feel better & still not 100% yet. I drank 2 pints of water as soon as I got home & took one of the kids dioralytes an hour later to try help but it made the nausea worst.

Anyone able to give advice? Was it too much too soon? Possibly the heat?

It would make me think twice before running 10km anytime soon.

So you only started running 2 months ago and reached your maximum distance of 10k only last Sunday?

Then you decided to run a 5k the day after running your max distance, another on Thursday before attempting and completing your max distance again today?

Surely you can see the issue there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

One of the best things to learn when starting is the value of rest days!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dizzydoll

Thought it might have been too much to soon alright! I am fairly fit anyway, I have been walking a lot during covid to get out of the house & the 5 km was easy to do.

Thanks for the advice, never felt like that before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

Thought it might have been too much to soon alright! I am fairly fit anyway, I have been walking a lot during covid to get out of the house & the 5 km was easy to do.

Thanks for the advice, never felt like that before!

Just take it easy, or you'll burn yourself out or worse, cause yourself an injury.

To be honest it might be worth it for you to look into a program seeing as you are doing bit of running. https://www.halhigdon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dizzydoll

I will download that app, thanks! Can anyone advise what I should be running 2 months in?

I’m fairly fit, not really carrying weight & usually find the 5km easy enough that’s why I started pushing up the km’s. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

I will download that app, thanks! Can anyone advise what I should be running 2 months in?

I’m fairly fit, not really carrying weight & usually find the 5km easy enough that’s why I started pushing up the km’s. Thanks

There's no right or wrong answer to what you should be running after 2 months.
    When increasing distance though, do it gradually, its a stress on the body. Add on a few kms to your overall weekly distance as you progress.

Most plans will have a few days running during the week, and a longer run at the weekend. One of your midweek runs could be a faster session like intervals or fartleks.

The big one to remember is that most of your running (roughly 80%) should be run at an easy, conversation pace (that will vary greatly from runner to runner, so it's your easy pace, not anyone else's) and the other 20% can be for harder, faster running ie. intervals etc, as mentioned above.

You could also look at trying to bring down your 5km time instead of going up the distances straight away. Plenty of 5k plans out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Apart from your own condition the weather yesterday was much heavier than the last while. Wouldn't have helped.

Advertisement