Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a light switch - not enough room?

Options
  • 08-05-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to change a light switch, and am finding there is not enough room due to the wires already in there. I'm plugging the two brown wires into the COM and the single brown one into L1, but I don't need the blue or yellow ones.
    Any hints on what I can do to make some room in here to fit the switch?

odKWFhv.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭sundodger5

AFAIK you can get deeper back boxes.
    Looks like that is what you will need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

You can get deeper backing boxes but fitting one may be awkward depending on what is behind the existing one. Much depends on the wall construction.
    An easier solution but may not be aesthetically pleasing would be to use a surface mount back box over the existing one.
    Alternatively If the new switch will fit in the existing box without the neutral & earth wires then you could use a blanking plate over the existing one and fit a new backing box of the same size close to the now blanked one. You could use similar connectors to extend the wires to the new position.
    Perhaps you will get better advice from some of the electricians on here so wait for some more responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

It's not clear from the picture, but the earth wire is not connected to anything. The 3 neutral wire connected to the plastic connector thing are what is causing the issue. I think the switch will fit in if this wasn't for this connector getting in the way. I don't suppose there is something I can get for these wires that would take up less space?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yeah this is the issue with dimmer switches they need a deeper box.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MercNS

Cut the top of the backbox and push the neutrals up behind the plaster board. They'll still be accessible if needed in future.

Got the spacer indicated above and it worked perfectly. It doesn't 100% match up with the shape of the switch, but it's close enough:
    iVv2rWy.jpg

Advertisement