Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sedum/Green Roof - DIY?

Options
  • 07-05-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I thinking of building a garage at the rear of our house - say approx 40m2.

I was thinking that a Sedum roof would look well, but I plan to do a lot of the work myself.

1 - Any idea how much these roofs cost per m2 approx? Either fitted or kit only.
    2 - what is the best system to use? Do I need an all in 1 system, or can I use 'off the shelf' components.
    3 - Would a DIY approach be something I should consider? I am fairly experienced, so not too daunted by the effort. Just wondering if the savings would justify the effort.

An recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are a few youtube videos out there showing how to do it. I was looking at the idea myself but it didn't go ahead. The main issue is having the roof timbers strong enough to carry the weight.

They are reasonably expensive to have done, a diy would probably save a lot. I can't recall what it was going to cost at this stage. On the other hand you need to be pretty sure the roof is not going to rot or leak and you will need the appropriate waterproof cover, so a professional job might be worth it. There is a firm in Tipperary do them, https://www.landtechsoils.ie/green-roofs/# I don't know whether they just supply the plant sheets, they don't mention them, I think they used to. Also https://www.soprema.ie/en/product/green-roofs/extensive/sopranature-plug-plants

There are lots of well grown sempervivums and sedums available at the moment, I bought a lovely selection of sempervivums, with babies ready to spread, for €2 a pot, if you can't get the sheets of plants it might be an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

looksee wrote: »
    There are a few youtube videos out there showing how to do it. I was looking at the idea myself but it didn't go ahead. The main issue is having the roof timbers strong enough to carry the weight.

Thanks - I'm just pricing up my options now. I was actually considering a pre-cast concrete roof - would work out about 2-2.5k. I seen this site then for the sedum kit, including plants: https://www.greenroofsdirect.com/products

So by my reckoning, I could get a cavity wall build, internal leaf on the flat, Concrete slabs in for the roof and something like this system for just a touch over 10k. I have a couple of windows already, but still need to include garage door, plastering, waterproofing deck and paraphets of some type. Would easily be 15-20k when finished.

I'm also just considering a rendered steel shed - waiting for the costs on that. But I did really like the idea of the green roof.

Advertisement