Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darina Allen objects to piggery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I love pork. Is there anywhere to buy free range pork in Ireland? These piggeries are very bad and would rather not support them if possible.

https://pigsonthegreen.wordpress.com/where-to-try/shops/

They're local to me so I don't know how much they supply outside those three food markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think dunnes do a range of free range pork steaks etc. Never seen processed pork like bacon or sausage that was free range. I would also be weary of what they mean by free range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As someone with an interest in these things I have read countless tales of absolute horror from these places, here's a one recently in the news where pigs were being hammered to death at a "high welfare" piggery in the UK, Tesco have dropped them as suppliers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pigs-farm-animal-cruelty-scotland-b1840471.html

Free range pork isn't much of a thing here but I wish people would reconsider buying meat from these places, they are horrific places and the pigs never see the light of day.
    We already export 65,000 tonnes of pig meat a year, why do we need to be producing more given the cruelty and environmental damage involved?

I have no moral objection to eating meat none whatsoever. I like the taste of it. We have incisors, to cut and tear flesh.
    I am a mammal top of the food chain.
    I would draw the line at humans though!

The hippy dippy environmental guff, while although well intentioned irks me.
    Why?

It is full of hypocrisy. Countries buying Carbon Credits.
    Ultra environmentalist celebs travelling the world on planes, environmentalists vegetarians leading a 'cause' against meat eating. To 'save' the planet.

Meanwhile congratulating each other on what a great job they are doing on technology that causes far more damage to the environment than any farm would. Laptops, PC's, Mobile phones all those precious metals that have to be dug out of the ground so environmentalists can get 'followers'.

Just makes me laugh and that is being honest. Posts like the one above just make me think - oh 'one of those' crowd. Fair enough, each to their own. But it a religious fervour I do not want to force fed thanks very much. Pun intended.

As for Darina and her objection to a pig farm near her. Would anyone want a pig farm near them if at all possible? She would lose money.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I would have thought the pigs would be objecting to being within 12 km of Ballymaloe?

I have no moral objection to eating meat none whatsoever. I like the taste of it. We have incisors, to cut and tear flesh.
    I am a mammal top of the food chain.
    I would draw the line at humans though!

The hippy dippy environmental guff, while although well intentioned irks me.
    Why?

It is full of hypocrisy. Countries buying Carbon Credits.
    Ultra environmentalist celebs travelling the world on planes, environmentalists vegetarians leading a 'cause' against meat eating. To 'save' the planet.

Meanwhile congratulating each other on what a great job they are doing on technology that causes far more damage to the environment than any farm would. Laptops, PC's, Mobile phones all those precious metals that have to be dug out of the ground so environmentalists can get 'followers'.

Just makes me laugh and that is being honest. Posts like the one above just make me think - 'oh one of those' crowd. Fair enough each to their own

As for Darina and her objection to a pig farm near her. Would anyone want a pig farm near them if at all possible? She would lose money.

what the f*ck has your rant got to do with how horribly pigs are treated in factory farms? planes? precious metals?
    let it all out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The Allens, unfortunately for their detractors, are clever at what they do and waste nothing and run a tight ship and consequently make money,when many others in the food business have not. You don't have to like any of them but they are successful and in many ways, were ahead of their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

what the f*ck has your rant got to do with how horribly pigs are treated in factory farms? planes? precious metals?
    let it all out...

In fairness it has as much to do with what you suggest as you hopping on your vegetarian hobby horse on a thread about Darina Allen objecting to a pig farm.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    In fairness it has as much to do with what you suggest as you hopping on your vegetarian hobby horse on a thread about Darina Allen objecting to a pig farm.

Never mentioned anything to do with vegetarianism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

No indeed.

I think dunnes do a range of free range pork steaks etc. Never seen processed pork like bacon or sausage that was free range. I would also be weary of what they mean by free range though.

OH who has no idea where I shop for what mentioned in passing that those are really nice sausages, where did I get them. While honest selling practices are important to me the main reason for buying pork there is the quality and taste. There is some shocking pork sold in Ireland, some chops or fillet are impossible to sear because they are so full of water.

• Advertisement

let it all out...

It is in the post above. You are one of those with a mad religious fervour on anti meat cruelty to animals etc fair enough that is your thing.
    You probably fall for the not tested on animals guff as well.

They are animals we are humans I am much more practical. And I am more concerned with human life and not whether the way pigs are processed is 'cruel' or not. I could not give a damn and that is being honest.

Granted most people would not say it. And have some form of 'pretence' to sound hip and with it. But I am not one of those.

Oh the poor pigs! Are they human? Nope. Then it is not much of crisis as far as I am concerned.
    I remember a former flatmate like you who used to try and put me off my fry by saying she smells burning flesh. Which only made me laugh. I no longer eat fries by the way grilling is much healthier.

You probably equate pig farms to Auschwitz. Ok fair enough that is your belief.
    But do NOT try and 'force feed' your beliefs on others you just end up sounding like a myopic nag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

It is in the post above. You are one of those with a mad religious fervour on anti meat cruelty to animals etc fair enough that is your thing.
    You probably fall for the not tested on animals guff as well.

They are animals we are humans I am much more practical. And I am more concerned with human life and not whether the way pigs are processed is 'cruel' or not. I could not give a damn and that is being honest.

Granted most people would not say it. And have some form of 'pretence' to sound hip and with it. But I am not one of those.

Oh the poor pigs! Are they human? Nope. Then it is not much of crisis as far as I am concerned.
    I remember a former flatmate like you who used to try and put me off my fry by saying she smells burning flesh. Which only made me laugh. I no longer eat fries by the way grilling is much healthier.

You probably equate pig farms to Auschwitz. Ok fair enough that is your belief.
    But do NOT try and 'force feed' your beliefs on others you just end up sounding like a myopic nag.

Would you eat dog if it were available?

It was implied preaching Thelonious Monk from the alter we got the message. And I laughed at it and the way it was presented in such a religious like fervour.

This thread is about Darina giving out about a pig farm beside her as is her entitlement.

The debate is whether is correct is such an assertion or should not be making it.
    It is not whether the pig farms are cruel nor if there are already too many of them. And it is Darina uses the environment as an excuse so she would not have a pig farm in proximity to his business. Foul smelling etc

From the OP's tone and article linked. The question is Darina entitled to complain about the pig farm on the basis of its smell affecting her business?

Treppen wrote: »
    Would you eat dog if it were available?

Yes I would if given the opportunity. And if was better value than the current meat that I consume.
    If you could point me to same I would happily check it out.

Yes I would if given the opportunity. And if was better value than the current meat that I consume.
    If you could point me to same I would happily check it out.

Good for you, but some people care about animal welfare and these piggeries are awful places. This woke celebrity culture of animal welfare has been around since at least 1829 when the RSPCA was founded. You don't need to worry about anyone taking your meat from you but some people wish standards were better than factory farms, you don't, that's ok too. I know that I wouldn't want one of these factories in my vicinity anyway.

Plus I think Darina is being extremely clever here

1) Appearing to take the moral high ground

2) Writing a letter and getting free advertising in a newspaper

A win - win for brand Darina.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

"Chef Darina Allen has joined a campaign"
    The way the thread reads you'd think she was the only objector, plenty inside the 12km I bet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

razorblunt wrote: »
    That’s only because they keep catching her grandson with drugs.

7485c791ed40d2e8eb5ed95de0d0c005.gif

Fair play to her- we should be encouraging as a society for greater free-range meat in general and forcing methods of production to radically change and to reduce the levels of intensive meat production - as a consumer i don't want to eat intensively farmed pork- I'll pay more for, and eat less of, organically and responsibly raised animal meat.

Our beef is well respected internationally- why not our pigs too- the English seem to have a lot more small production farms pushing out high end, well respected animal products - our standard widely available Irish pork chops taste nothing like what a good pork chop should taste like- as a result I never buy them and only purchase pork from a butcher with their own farm - you can tell the difference- they cost more, so you eat less- don't see a problem there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Try getting organic/free range pork. It's not a thing here.

• Advertisement

Good for you, but some people care about animal welfare and these piggeries are awful places. This woke celebrity culture of animal welfare has been around since at least 1829 when the RSPCA was founded. You don't need to worry about anyone taking your meat from you but some people wish standards were better than factory farms, you don't, that's ok too. I know that I wouldn't want one of these factories in my vicinity anyway.

The problem is since the RSPCA was founded the developed world has become more urbanised.

To the extent that for some Animal Welfare is now put on a par with Human welfare. It is understandable progression. Which I think has got to silly levels.

It is more often than not - the middle class, urban, skinny jean type males, or hairy woman with dyed hair and cats who are most vocal about 'animal welfare' let's call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel.

As for Darina I think she is being disingenuous and trying to 'tap in' to the skinny jeans male, and hairy female with cats markets. While also trying to stop a pig farm being built in her businesses vincity.

It is an exceptional move on the marketing front for Darina. One which gets her column inches for all the right reasons on the cheap.
    But I think it is a cynical move. A lot may not see it as that but I do.

It is, Dunnes have a range

Fair play to her- we should be encouraging as a society for greater free-range meat in general and forcing methods of production to radically change and to reduce the levels of intensive meat production - as a consumer i don't want to eat intensively farmed pork- I'll pay more for, and eat less of, organically and responsibly raised animal meat.

Our beef is well respected internationally- why not our pigs too- the English seem to have a lot more small production farms pushing out high end, well respected animal products - our standard widely available Irish pork chops taste nothing like what a good pork chop should taste like- as a result I never buy them and only purchase pork from a butcher with their own farm - you can tell the difference- they cost more, so you eat less- don't see a problem there at all.

Surprised you have any money left with the amount you spend on skinny jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You'd think they'd be trying to keep a low profile. There are worst things to have in your locality than a piggery. The thing they don't mention obviously didn't "unquestionably" harm her business.

https://evoke.ie/2021/05/06/extra/darina-allen-kicks-up-stink-over-plans-for-huge-pigsty-project

I would have thought having a convicted paedophile - Tim Allen - for a husband - would have been bad enough for her business.

Or a convicted drug dealer for a nephew?

Surprised you have any money left with the amount you spend on skinny jeans

ah get back to practicing your jazz scales :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Does the Darina Allen business licence or planning permission ever come up for review.

I doubt many people with decent morals or young children would want her convicted paedophile husband Tim Allen within 1,200 km of them.

40,000 images of appalling images of babies and toddlers being taped and mutilated he was found with through an oversea Interpol investigation. Revolting.

And his wife Darina Allen and her bedroom accommodation business - catering for children and families - never said a word against him.

Who’d want vermin like that living near you.
    Poor pigs.

The problem is since the RSPCA was founded the developed world has become more urbanised.

To the extent that for some Animal Welfare is now put on a par with Human welfare. It is understandable progression. Which I think has got to silly levels.

It is more often than not - the middle class, urban, skinny jean type males, or hairy woman with dyed hair and cats who are most vocal about 'animal welfare' let's call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel.

As for Darina I think she is being disingenuous and trying to 'tap in' to the skinny jeans male, and hairy female with cats markets. While also trying to stop a pig farm being built in her businesses vincity.

It is an exceptional move on the marketing front for Darina. One which gets her column inches for all the right reasons on the cheap.
    But I think it is a cynical move. A lot may not see it as that but I do.

Do you have any more frustrations or did you list them all in one post?

Anyway free range pork is not only more humane, it tastes better. Probably not something you'd notice. And that's coming from non hairy, country woman with two kids and no cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

razorblunt wrote: »
    That’s only because they keep catching her grandson with drugs.

I was going to make a hilarious joke about the pigs being regular visitors to Ballymaloe, but I won't bother now because yours is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

disgusting what goes on in those places
    Still a filthy, cruel method of industrial farming, though.
    A piggery is a disgraceful way to farm pigs. They should be totally banned. Absolute cruelty

Excuse the ignorance. How else are pigs farmed in Ireland?

It's something I never really considered when eating my rashers :p Do pigs normally roam in the open like cows do here eating grass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes it is if you look for it. I get pork from the farm at Kilruddery house here in Bray. You can actually see the pigs and piglets rooting around in the mud as you drive into the grounds. They're an old breed as well which take longer to mature than the factory pigs which makes for a great taste.

Advertisement