Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Gort or Kinvara?

Options
  • 06-05-2021 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of relocating and moving out to either Gort or Kinvara or somewhere a few miles out from either town.

Just wondering if anyone from Galway city has jumped ship out to these parts and if so, how do you like it?

Just wondering how easy it is to settle in and make friends as a "blow in" in these areas?

Is there much night life or craic to be had for someone in their mid-30's?

Any things to consider or any insight or input would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Moyglish wrote: »
    I'm thinking of relocating and moving out to either Gort or Kinvara or somewhere a few miles out from either town.

Just wondering if anyone from Galway city has jumped ship out to these parts and if so, how do you like it?

Just wondering how easy it is to settle in and make friends as a "blow in" in these areas?

Is there much night life or craic to be had for someone in their mid-30's?

Any things to consider or any insight or input would be much appreciated

Gort isn't a bad little town to live in, house prices are reasonable compared to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Live in Gort for the last 6/7 years, it's a great little town lots of character.

Kinvara can likely count itself as more cosmopolitan but Gort has it's charms.

There is a growing set of food options, from the bar setting Gallery Cafe, to the modern cuisine of The Field, Granary Pizza, Roosters, Galway Bay Bakery to the more usual suspects - Sullivans, Tuk Chinese, Apache and Supersmacks.

Plenty of pubs, with a regular clientele and plenty of character but it's not likely to hop like Kinvara of an evening, I usually combine food and drink in the Gallery or Field.

Good schools, in the town and surrounds and the secondary school is well regarded, with a great sports track record, and about to get a second modern expansion.

Plenty of Doctors and Dentists, and vets.

Am fully remote now but commute to the end of the M18/M6 was a breeze - 30 minutes - THEN you hit Galway traffic, am happy not to have to re-visit this in anger post COVID as we will remain remote.

Fibre in the town and closer to the town, after that mind what broadband options you have.

Town itself is getting better - I think it has significantly improved since I moved here, but it needs a little more rejuvenation as some shops / buildings still remain empty, plenty of grocery options - Aldi, Lidl, SuperValue, butchers, veges options and fresh fish every Friday apart from supermarkets.

After that you'll find amateur drama, a very active GAA (hurling!!) club(s), soccer, rugby, archery, and everything in between, a great sports hall, decent Gym/Pool option, Coole Park down the road, loads of cycle routes down not so busy roads, a stones throw from the Burren, a refreshing dip in Lough Bunny .. plenty of stuff to be doing.

Advertisement