Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Will you get the Covid vaccine if offered it?

  • #2
    Registered Users Posts: 47 uptheduffagain


    I'm very interested to hear other people's opinions on this as I am genuinely on the fence. Also have yet to speak to my doctor/consultant which I know is the most important thing here, so I'm just looking for other pregnant women's opinions at the moment, TBH.

    Up until last week I was in the 'No, I won't get it' camp but I'm starting to wonder if that's the right approach. I'm 27 weeks now, so still a few months to go.

    The pros, as I see it, are obviously that it will protect you from serious Covid, you pass on your antibodies to the baby, etc. And all this talk of Covid Placentitis and stillbirths scares the crap out of me.

    The cons - the fact that it is a new vaccine and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been many studies on it in pregnant women. It's still too early to tell if there will be negative long-term effects. I would find that very difficult to deal with down the line, knowing that I had the choice not to take it but went ahead with it. But then again, I also feel that with about not taking it, and something potentially happening to the baby in utero :confused:

    Worth noting that I am very much pro-vaccine in every other respect - if I wasn't pregnant, I'd be queuing up to get it. It's the baby's health that concerns me most.

    Just thinking out loud here, would love to hear what everyone else thinks. Has anyone else had it, and what was your thought process? Thanks.


«134

Comments

  • #2


    I was secretly relieved that they weren't offered to pregnant people so I didn't have to decide but following the news about COVID placentitis and an honest discussion with my consultant (who I trust 100%) I'm firmly in the yes camp.

    The sooner I can get it the better.


  • #2


    They have observed over 90,000 pregnant women in the US who have been vaccinated and found that there was no significant risk to maternal or foetal health.

    Im 24 weeks pregnant. I had the AZ vaccine in early March and am awaiting my second dose. The known risks of catching covid and the effects it would have on me and my baby far outweigh any hypothetical and probably non-existant risks from taking the vaccine.


  • #2


    I am fully vaccinated and am pregnant now. I was very much trying to get pregnant when I got the vaccine and would 100% have taken it in pregnancy. For me it seems the best way to protect the growing baby. I was so happy to see the move to prioritising vaccines for pregnant women who wish to get it. If I am offered a booster before my due date I will take it too. Pregnant women seem to be getting sicker now with covid and the reports of still births are just heartbreaking.


  • #2


    I will be taking it also as the risks of getting covid far outweight any potential risks of the vaccine. Unfortunately I am 30 weeks though so I would need to get the first dose in the next 2 weeks to allow me get both doses before the 36 week mark. I was with my GP and the midwife (domino scheme) this week and neither of them could tell me how or when I will get the vaccine.


  • #2


    Sarah1916 wrote: »
    I will be taking it also as the risks of getting covid far outweight any potential risks of the vaccine. Unfortunately I am 30 weeks though so I would need to get the first dose in the next 2 weeks to allow me get both doses before the 36 week mark. I was with my GP and the midwife (domino scheme) this week and neither of them could tell me how or when I will get the vaccine.

    My sister got it in the coombe this week. She is domino scheme too. You would hope they are calling the women furthest along first.


  • #2


    Minier81 wrote: »
    My sister got it in the coombe this week. She is domino scheme too. You would hope they are calling the women furthest along first.

    That's great to hear as I am also the Coombe. Do you know how she was notified about the vaccine?


  • #2


    I just rang the Coombe and spoke to the covid triage desk and the Covid ward and they both seem convinced that no vaccines are being given out in the Coombe. I don't really know where to go from here. It seems it might be just a case of wait and see.


  • #2


    Sarah1916 wrote: »

    That's great to hear as I am also the Coombe. Do you know how she was notified about the vaccine?

    She got a phone call asking if would take one and was told to come to up on the bank holiday monday. Now she is 40 so might be one of the first to be called. She knew last Saturday but I'm sure she only got the call on thur or fri.


  • #2


    Sarah1916 wrote: »
    I just rang the Coombe and spoke to the covid triage desk and the Covid ward and they both seem convinced that no vaccines are being given out in the Coombe. I don't really know where to go from here. It seems it might be just a case of wait and see.

    I would ring to speak to your midwife to ask again. Triage desk is about segregating incoming covid patients, making sure they get private rooms etc. So covid triage and covid ward would have no involvement in vaccines as patient with covid can't get a vaccine til 4 weeks after they recover anyway.


  • #2


    Minier81 wrote: »
    She got a phone call asking if would take one and was told to come to up on the bank holiday monday. Now she is 40 so might be one of the first to be called. She knew last Saturday but I'm sure she only got the call on thur or fri.

    Although now I am wondering if she randomly got called for left over staff doses or something..... I'll see her at the weekend to quiz a bit more. They might have called a few older mothers to be or patients with conditions for leftover staff ones.


  • #2


    There is some positive news here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/pregnant-women-and-people-in-their-50s-set-to-be-vaccinated-from-next-week-40394869.html

    Looks like women will be referred from their maternity hospital to vaccination centers in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.


  • #2


    xalot wrote: »
    There is some positive news here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/pregnant-women-and-people-in-their-50s-set-to-be-vaccinated-from-next-week-40394869.html

    Looks like women will be referred from their maternity hospital to vaccination centers in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

    It’s a bit confusing. Your supposed to be referred following discussion with your Doctor. When this was first announced it was mentioned that it’s not meant to be a blanket referral for all pregnant women. I am not back with hospital until I am 27 weeks so I wonder if that means I will be waiting until then to be referred or if they will be going through all the patient files and then referring.

    Anyway OP all of us have very different risk for covid exposure. If you are WFH, keeping contacts to a minimum and no kids in school then your risk of catching it is so small compared to someone who is working in a role where they are interacting with people every day in a place with higher levels in the community.
    Your worry is understandable it would be far more reassuring if the clinical trials were completed and published.


  • #2


    Just an update on this, I was in with my consultant today and she has referred me for the vaccine (I'm just shy of 24 weeks). She said the wait time is about 2 weeks.


  • #2


    mohawk wrote: »
    It’s a bit confusing. Your supposed to be referred following discussion with your Doctor. When this was first announced it was mentioned that it’s not meant to be a blanket referral for all pregnant women. I am not back with hospital until I am 27 weeks so I wonder if that means I will be waiting until then to be referred or if they will be going through all the patient files and then referring.

    Anyway OP all of us have very different risk for covid exposure. If you are WFH, keeping contacts to a minimum and no kids in school then your risk of catching it is so small compared to someone who is working in a role where they are interacting with people every day in a place with higher levels in the community.
    Your worry is understandable it would be far more reassuring if the clinical trials were completed and published.

    Thanks. I do work from home, but my son is in creche so I guess there's a worry there. I have a hospital appointment this week anyway, so will talk to somebody about it then.


  • #2


    Has anyone gotten pregnant after taking the vaccine. I'm worried about fertllility?


  • #2


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten pregnant after taking the vaccine. I'm worried about fertllility?

    There is zero evidence to suggest that the vaccines have any effect on fertility whatsoever.


  • #2


    Does any one know anyone that has gotten pregnant. I'm. Vaccinated but just worried


  • #2


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Does any one know anyone that has gotten pregnant. I'm. Vaccinated but just worried

    I'm pregnant now and got my 2 jabs in January. Woohoo!


  • #2


    Rang my gp this morning to find out how i get referred or what I need to do to get the vaccine. She said they havent been given any information yet from dep of health. Hoping I dont have to wait til my next hosp app as i’ll be 28 weeks by then.

    Anyone have any info on how to get it or any more info as stuff in the news is all very confusing.


  • #2


    Just an FYI - I was in Holles Street today and they said that they hadn't been given any guidance about referring pregnant women as yet. They have only been vaccinating high-risk women to date. The doctor told me to get in touch with my GP about the vaccine.

    Might be different in other hospitals. But it seems the HSE are saying one thing and doing another - so if you're up against it time-wise and want to be vaccinated before 36 weeks, probably best to speak to your GP too.


  • #2


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten pregnant after taking the vaccine. I'm worried about fertllility?

    I got the 1st dose of Astra Zeneca in March and got pregnant that same cycle a week or two after!


  • #2


    Naid23 wrote: »
    Rang my gp this morning to find out how i get referred or what I need to do to get the vaccine. She said they havent been given any information yet from dep of health. Hoping I dont have to wait til my next hosp app as i’ll be 28 weeks by then.

    Anyone have any info on how to get it or any more info as stuff in the news is all very confusing.

    I spoke to my GP this afternoon and they have put me on their list. It seems to vary from practice to practice, which isn't very helpful!


  • #2


    I spoke to my GP this afternoon and they have put me on their list. It seems to vary from practice to practice, which isn't very helpful!

    Thanks for that. Waiting on them to ring me back with an update. Its very confusing altogether.


  • #2


    Minier81 wrote: »
    I'm pregnant now and got my 2 jabs in January. Woohoo!

    one person does not a full trial make!!

    give it 5 years and see where we are with real world outcomes. The people in the trials would be ideal in profile. you may see where women in their 30's or 40's once struggled, it's now a dead end. the thrombosis may be the start and or the end of it, that's why 5 year trials are done. If you have a vaccine inside you now, then welcome to the trial!

    that's not hyperbole, that's the fact of the matter, so time will tell I'd imagine.


  • #2


    rusty cole wrote: »
    one person does not a full trial make!!

    give it 5 years and see where we are with real world outcomes. The people in the trials would be ideal in profile. you may see where women in their 30's or 40's once struggled, it's now a dead end. the thrombosis may be the start and or the end of it, that's why 5 year trials are done. If you have a vaccine inside you now, then welcome to the trial!

    that's not hyperbole, that's the fact of the matter, so time will tell I'd imagine.

    There is so much scaremongering BS in this post, I don't know where to start.

    For anyone concerned, get your information from trusted resources - HSE, NHS, NIAC, EMA, WHO - not conspiracy theorist bozos on the Internet such as yer man here.


  • #2


    I am 12.5 weeks pregnant and a private patient of the Coombe. My Consultant referred me for my vaccine today and said he and the other Consultants send a centralised list to the HSE and I will then be contacted directly for an appt in Citywest. I've to see him again in 3 weeks and he said I should have heard by then.


  • #2


    Minier81 wrote: »
    I'm pregnant now and got my 2 jabs in January. Woohoo!

    Thanks. Whst vaccine did you get. Congrats x


  • #2


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Thanks. Whst vaccine did you get. Congrats x

    I got Pfizer. I work in healthcare which is why I got it so early. So happy to be pregnant, we had been trying for ages and we actually were going to start ivf next month so this is just amazing.
    For me getting the vaccine was a no brainer, and this was before we knew about the number of covid related still births too.
    There are alot of anti vax rumours circulating about impacts on fertility and sperm count, look to reputable sources for your information xx


  • #2


    I am 12.5 weeks pregnant and a private patient of the Coombe. My Consultant referred me for my vaccine today and said he and the other Consultants send a centralised list to the HSE and I will then be contacted directly for an appt in Citywest. I've to see him again in 3 weeks and he said I should have heard by then.

    That is great to hear! I am in the Coombe as well but I am public and also doing the domino scheme so I hope we are all put on the list at the same time. I am 30 weeks already so I don't have much time left before I can get the vaccine and even less if I was to get both doses 4 weeks apart before the 36 week mark. Hopefully I will hear soon. I am not with the midwife again until next Wednesday.


  • #2


    The NMH and the Rotunda have both put up posts on Twitter saying women will be contacted by text to see if they want the vaccine and then they can call to set up an appointment. The NMH is starting with women 30+weeks.

    Nmh appointments in the Aviva and Rotunda in Connolly hospital


Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.