Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill and Melinda Gates are divorcing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Kardashians will be on the prowl for Bill.

She married well

TAKIQc6.png

On a capital invested basis the above statement is true :pac:

Melinda probably thinks that a 3.5 inch floppy is so 90's and wants to move on.

Bill wants to upgrade to get more ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The Kardashians will be on the prowl for Bill.
    That is the wedding I NEED to see happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

osarusan wrote: »
    Been seeing this across loads of platforms all day, don't know why it's such big news really. Beyond them being famous, there is no wider impact.

Same as Bezos' divorce, not sure why news organisations think people will care.

Seems like they'd agreed on the division of the estate before announcing the divorce anyway.

Me neither. Couple grows apart. Happens.

The money seems to be the reason. But that seems to be non-contentious. So I don’t get it.

No doubt somebody will say I cared enough to post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

banie01 wrote: »
    Just saying...
    o2l5lt8yx5x61.jpg

Makes about as much sense as the usual conspiracy shite that's spouted about him. :pac:

• Advertisement

Housefree wrote: »
    Big tech has no influence on you? Even at the back of Boards some Microsoft server is running.

Most web and db servers are nix based, not windows based.

You could argue their office productivity tools are king, but that's because they spend money on them.

You can choose to use free office productivity tools if you want to, got right through two degrees using Apache open office, Linux desktops and assorted Linux servers.

Most of Microsoft's profit comes from corporate enterprise office sales and cloud (azure etc) with a third prong being its hardware (e.g. surface products) and gaming side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

UsBus wrote: »
    Could be some Epstein revelations on the way, if some accounts are correct. She may be distancing herself or securing some assets.

Could be, he wasn't the only Bill to visit that island.

Well he is about to make her a very happy lady! She will be the worlds second richest lady.

oh not another one ...this is depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What island? I’m totally lost !!!

I thought they’d already agreed to give the majority of their assets away. Was it ‘just’ a
    pledge? Does it still count now? If you’ve done a King Lear can your wife recoup the assets? How much is left? What island?

thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,206 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What island? I’m totally lost !!!

I thought they’d already agreed to give the majority of their assets away. Was it ‘just’ a
    pledge? Does it still count now? If you’ve done a King Lear can your wife recoup the assets? How much is left? What island?

thank you!!

there is still a massive amount left. they only gave 50-60Bn to their foundation. their foundation mind, not their charity. the bill and melinda gates foundation is not a charity. they can withdraw their money from their foundation any time they want. Bill is worth a whole lot more than 50-60Bn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

km991148 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think they genuinely try to use their money for good.

Lots of way worse billionaires kicking around.
    the bar (in terms of very visible billionaires) is kinda low though.

this is a good, in depth long read about gates.

Humanity Does Not Need Bill Gates
    On everything from climate change to global health, the billionaire tycoon is a study in shamelessness.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/05/humanity-does-not-need-bill-gates

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Very interesting that the two richest women on the planet are there because of divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Blowfish wrote: »
    He stepped away from Microsoft years ago, he doesn't really have all that much influence there.

He had a massive part in creating the tech industry as it is today i.e. fast delivery of half tested shyte products that users then have to help work the bugs out of.

Microsoft were the driving force in creating the modern software industry which is not alone computer software anymore, but phones, household consumer goods, cars, tractors, hell even airplanes.

The Microsoft way of doing things is why Boeing jets were fooking falling out of the sky.
    Ill conceived poorly written software, add ons that cost extra and assumptions being made that users could work out things when things went pear shaped.
    All a Microsoft hallmark.

Except in this it was pilots who were expected to realise what the code was doing and make a decision how to rectify all in 3 fooking seconds.

BTW the adds on were a safety must not some nice to have extra.
    But how does it influence me, I dont use boards or any social media because Microsoft has anything to do with it, that's like saying the wright brothers influence me because I flew to ibiza on holidays

Well next time on your flight to Ibiza check out if that plane is a Boeing 737 Max and just think about that old software and hope they ironed out all those bugs and shortcomings. ;)

That telly in the corner now probably needs internet access to receive updates, another throwback to software industry and Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

the bar (in terms of very visible billionaires) is kinda low though.

Oh, I'm with you there.. I used billionaire for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jmayo wrote: »
    He had a massive part in creating the tech industry as it is today i.e. fast delivery of half tested shyte products that users then have to help work the bugs out of.

Microsoft were the driving force in creating the modern software industry which is not alone computer software anymore, but phones, household consumer goods, cars, tractors, hell even airplanes.

The Microsoft way of doing things is why Boeing jets were fooking falling out of the sky.
    Ill conceived poorly written software, add ons that cost extra and assumptions being made that users could work out things when things went pear shaped.
    All a Microsoft hallmark.
    All that is besides the point though, the original comment was this:
    2 very dangerous people, have way too much influence in the world and people's lives.
    Neither of them have much current influence at all. I mean Bill can give his opinions and views on tech via talks etc and has various shareholder votes (just ~1% of Microsofts), but that's about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should read that article i posted.
    'world's 3rd richest man doesn't have much influence' sounds a little unbelievable.

Blowfish wrote: »
    All that is besides the point though, the original comment was this:
    Neither of them have much current influence at all. I mean Bill can give his opinions and views on tech via talks etc and has various shareholder votes (just ~1% of Microsofts), but that's about it.

they have a decent amount of influence, particularly on people's lives in poorer countries through their foundation which is not just their money but many billions more from people like Warren Buffet etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

it's current endowment is 50 billion dollars

glasso wrote: »
    they have a decent amount of influence, particularly on people's lives in poorer countries through their foundation which is not just their money but many billions more from people like Warren Buffet etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

it's current endowment is 50 billion dollars

they certainly have a positive influence on the health of the people in those countries. what other influence do they have?

• Advertisement

they certainly have a positive influence on the health of the people in those countries. what other influence do they have?

eh, is that not enough?

while well-meaning the influence is very big - e.g. probably deciding when exactly 100's of millions of people in poor countries will end up getting a covid vaccine

eh, is that not enough?

while well-meaning the influence is very big - e.g. probably deciding when exactly 100's of millions of people in poor countries will end up getting a covid vaccine

what is their involvement in the covid vaccine rollout in those countries?

what is their involvement in the covid vaccine rollout in those countries?

as of january 2021 the Gates Foundation had committed $1.75 billion to the global Covid pandemic - a large amount of that going to COVAX

that buys A LOT of Astra Zeneca shots for example.

if they didn't put that serious amount of wedge in a lot of people in poor places would be in an even worse position vis-a-vis their chance of getting a vaccine
    COVAX, co-led by the GAVI vaccines alliance, says it aims to deliver 2.3. billion COVID-19 doses by year-end, including 1.8 billion doses to poorer countries at no cost to their governments. It hopes to start some deliveries next month.

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/covax-explained

as of january 2021 the Gates Foundation had committed $1.75 billion to the global Covid pandemic - a large amount of that going to COVAX

that buys A LOT of Astra Zeneca shots for example.

if they didn't put that serious amount of wedge in a lot of people in poor places would be in an even worse position vis-a-vis their chance of getting a vaccine

i don't think we are disagreeing with each other. there seems to be an inference by some that they have a malign influence. I was just curious what that might be. Hence:

I'm not suggesting that

but the ramifications of their influence and serious amount of money can be huge

e.g. if they didn't put that $1.75 billion in, where else was it going to come from....?

you wouldn't have heard that they didn't put in the money, but that would have been a hugely negative thing.

jmayo wrote: »

Ah come on, that's not exactly fair. You don't have much energy left for things like creating good, finished products and improving on them after you've spent your entire work week trying (and usually succeeding) to brutally shut down innovative competitors.

William Henry Gates III just a good dude, man. Doing good things. And sure, maybe he's from a long line of bankers, had a sociopathic level of "competition" in his childhood, and only ever amounted to anything because mommy got him a contract with IBM. But come on. He's buying up all the farmland in the world to do good stuff. And just because indigenous farmers are going out of business, corporate farming profits are soaring, and hunger is increasing, doesn't mean he's a bad dude.

He's the vaccine guy. With massive investment in big pharma. THE VACCINE GUY, for heaven's sakes. How could the vaccine guy be a bad guy?

What exactly do you want from your billionaire philosopher kings?! Blood that isn't other people's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

km991148 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think they genuinely try to use their money for good.

Lots of way worse billionaires kicking around.

he has a god complex. he thinks we need to be saved by him
    add that to the access his money gives him. he is a very dangerous person.
    Zero influence in mine

you may think this but
    Follow the donations of his foundation and who it funds. then ask yourself if those recipients influence public policy . that's where you'll be surprised.

And if you believe this man with such massive wealth who can walk on any tv to talk about his plans for the world while constantly speaking at events with political and social leaders has no political influence with parliamentary politics, the UN and WHO and more...then you are naïve.

Even look at his pictures with Epstein , see who else is there.
    he moves at the highest levels in terms of money and politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It depends on who you ask I wouldn't say their dangerous myself but I do think he has done some harm with some of the policies that they have pursued throughtout the world like in India where he hasn't done much good for Indian farmers.

What a pile of crap - Hitler created gasses to kill people and billionaires are continuing that work...

paw patrol wrote: »
    he has a god complex. he thinks we need to be saved by him
    add that to the access his money gives him. he is a very dangerous person.

you may think this but
    Follow the donations of his foundation and who it funds. then ask yourself if those recipients influence public policy . that's where you'll be surprised.

And if you believe this man with such massive wealth who can walk on any tv to talk about his plans for the world while constantly speaking at events with political and social leaders has no political influence with parliamentary politics, the UN and WHO and more...then you are naïve.

Even look at his pictures with Epstein , see who else is there.
    he moves at the highest levels in terms of money and politics.

this is moving firmly into conspiracy theory territory

trying to associate him with Epstein and by extension child rape

more debunked conspiracy theories about Gates going to Epstein's island where were of course rubbish

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-bill-gates-epstein-island-idUSKBN22R2C4

classic conspiracy theory tactic and complete rubbish

lots of people were at hundreds of events where that scumbag Epstein would have been at before he was outed as a child rapist.

Gates is a very wealthy guy and chosen to do something with his money and also other people's money in the purpose of what he sees as good

certainly has helped in a lot of initiatives in developing countries in the health arena

of course he is meeting with serious politicians and industry leaders - you can't do these things over gmail or probably outlook in his case

(again some absolute rubbish stories from India were pushed around by the conspiracy theorists but were surprise surprise complete bs in reality https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-gates-india-idUSKBN22V27F )

• Advertisement

this is moving firmly into conspiracy theory territory

trying to associate him with Epstein and by extension child rape

more debunked conspiracy theories about Gates going to Epstein's island where were of course rubbish

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-bill-gates-epstein-island-idUSKBN22R2C4

Well, which is it? Because the article you've linked here to debunk the island trips is also confirmation that Gates and Epstein were "associated" with each other, and Gates along with several employees of his foundation met with Epstein on multiple occasions (as reported by the NYT).

Advertisement