Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upgrading car good or bad idea?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shocks.43

Casati wrote: »
    What’s a typical day driving for you look like? Would a long range EV be feasible? You’d save a fortune on diesel with something like an ID4

Its a commute to work of 160 km each way 3 days a week and some travel within work . Don't think an EV would be suitable as there is no charging facilities in work . What is the actual range in a ID 4 .My route is 80 km motorway and 80 km country roads .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Shocks.43 wrote: »
    Its a commute to work of 160 km each way 3 days a week and some travel within work . Don't think an EV would be suitable as there is no charging facilities in work . What is the actual range in a ID 4 .My route is 80 km motorway and 80 km country roads .

You could look at id3 tour as well. WLTP range is 550 km but I’d say in winter cold days you’d be safe enough doing 350 km on a charge. Might be worth looking at. ID 4 with big battery would be a bit less as it’s bigger but still good range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Casati

fits wrote: »
    You could look at id3 tour as well. WLTP range is 550 km but I’d say in winter cold days you’d be safe enough doing 350 km on a charge. Might be worth looking at. ID 4 with big battery would be a bit less as it’s bigger but still good range.

I can’t see an EV working with that daily mileage unless you get something like a Tesla model S

I can’t see an EV working with that daily mileage unless you get something like a Tesla model S

Real world ranges of them all here

https://ev-database.org/cheatsheet/range-electric-car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I wasn't doing the same length of commute but I was doing big miles all the same. Buy something decent and run it until it's uneconomical to repair and then replace. Your current A4 should be able to hit 300k easily if your mileage is mainly N road and motorway. Service it with the correct spec oils and filters every 3 months and replace suspension bits and consumables as needed. You'll find if looked after it will look after you and will end up being cheaper in the long run.

• Advertisement

Range stated is simply not achievable at 0 degrees and motorway speeds

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    What's the car that costs 14k to change to? And what's the mileage? I think 2 years old to 4 years old might be your sweet spot if you can give back the 4 year old with less mileage than you're going in with this time.

Sorry just getting to reply now. Its a 191 A4 with 35000 miles on it ,

User1998 wrote: »
    Its easy to sell a high mileage car as long as its reflected in the price. I sold a 2013 Golf with 300k km’s in less than 6 hours and have sold plenty of cars with well over 200k km’

Think that's miles off the point of the op, I flipped a 2016 passat estate last week with 360000kms on her for a tidy €750 profit.....but I bought cheap AND sold cheap. But the op is overviewing a totally different 'model' of car ownership. Coming from a 4yr old A4 up to a 2 yr old A4 with 50000km pa is always going to be an expensive practice

User1998 wrote: »
    Its easy to sell a high mileage car as long as its reflected in the price. I sold a 2013 Golf with 300k km’s in less than 6 hours and have sold plenty of cars with well over 200k km’

Think that's miles off the point of the op, I flipped a 2016 passat estate last week with 360000kms on her for a tidy €750 profit.....but I bought cheap AND sold cheap. But the op is overviewing a totally different 'model' of car ownership. Coming from a 4yr old A4 up to a 2 yr old A4 with 50000km pa is always going to be an expensive practice

I understand what you are saying Ken . But I suppose my question is , is holding onto it for another couple of years with depreciation and any repair bills to be a better option , and when is a good time for me to change ? Maybe there is no good time .Thanks very much for all the opinions / advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah no good time in that it's never going to be cheap to do your mileage. I'd probably try what you are doing, buy as low mileage 2 year old as you can and get rid at 4 or 5 before mileage goes interstellar and problems start.
    Going to be expensive though and it's a gamble no matter what you do.

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Yeah no good time in that it's never going to be cheap to do your mileage. I'd probably try what you are doing, buy as low mileage 2 year old as you can and get rid at 4 or 5 before mileage goes interstellar and problems start.
    Going to be expensive though and it's a gamble no matter what you do.

Joe Duffy have tiny mileage 202's for 36k. If they matched that 17k your getting on that 191, the cost to change might be better value. You could plan to sell it Jan/ Feb 2023 with circa 100km and 6 months factory warranty left- at which stage it should fetch v strong money.

https://www.audicentre.ie/en/offers/used-cars/used-audi-a4-sales-offer.html?utm_source=carzone&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=the-big-sale-may-2021&utm_content=audi-a4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭User1998

It seemed like OP was under the impression that if they kept the car for 2 more years that it would be completely un sellable. I was just pointing out that thats not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Passat?

Joe Duffy have tiny mileage 202's for 36k. If they matched that 17k your getting on that 191, the cost to change might be better value. You could plan to sell it Jan/ Feb 2023 with circa 100km and 6 months factory warranty left- at which stage it should fetch v strong money.

https://www.audicentre.ie/en/offers/used-cars/used-audi-a4-sales-offer.html?utm_source=carzone&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=the-big-sale-may-2021&utm_content=audi-a4

Thanks Casati. Sure i will give them a buzz I have a feeling the trade in offer will be low
    but I will check it out and see what they come back with.

Range stated is simply not achievable at 0 degrees and motorway speeds

If you had opened my link you would have seen real world ranges in a variety of conditions. Including cold weather and motorway driving.

But that’s neither here nor there. Op should probably just keep their current car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If you had opened my link you would have seen real world ranges in a variety of conditions. Including cold weather and motorway driving.

But that’s neither here nor there. Op should probably just keep their current car.

The ID4 is only getting 295km in cold weather in your link so not suitable for the OP regardless.

Keep your car OP

domrush wrote: »
    The ID4 is only getting 295km in cold weather in your link so not suitable for the OP regardless.

OP

Yes 295 km at 120 km per hour. In -10C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Yes 295 km at 120 km per hour. In -10C.

The OP has said their commute is minimum 320km, with likely more during the day. That’s far too close for comfort, an EV is totally unsuitable.

The OP has said their commute is minimum 320km, with likely more during the day. That’s far too close for comfort, an EV is totally unsuitable.

I agree. For an EV to work I would need approx 500km. For me diesel is still my best and prob only option for now .

I agree with you. I’m just clarifying the post that implied the ID4 real world range is 295 km which is incorrect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement