Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamonn4711

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Looks like a very nice bike gone up in the adverts section there. Might be worth an offer.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117056950#post117056950

I see the link is down. What was it and any idea why the link went down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

eamonn4711 wrote: »

Advertised elsewhere I'm guessing.

Here it is - https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-tcr-advanced-for-sale/23684660

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a rule of the cycling adverts subforum here that if you want to sell something on it, you can't list it elsewhere too - e.g. so if you're bidding on it, you can see who else is bidding on it, and not be up against someone who may be bidding on it on a different site.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I went from an alliminium tiagra to a carbon 105 and the difference is night and day.Particularly carbon to alliminium as carbon has less road vibration. I'd get 105 at the least. I had 10 speed tiagra and I always felt it was missing a gear between 6 an 7. I don't have that issue with the 105. Plus 105 is bomb proof.

I'd have a look at the giant defy advanced, cube gtc attain etc which are endurance bikes made for comfort but can go like the clappers when needed. A tcr is a pure racing bike and will not be as comfortable as the defy or attain. So unless you want to time laps or that, stay away from pure racing bikes. The more comfortable your are, the more you will enjoy cycling and want to get out on it. There are members on a giant website who own both tcrs and defys and the defys are their favourite bikes by a mile due to the comfort of them.

Basically, I'd get the best bike you possibly can now with the money you have as you won't need to upgrade later. Plus, when you have something more shiny that is the mutts Nutts, you will want to get out on it more. I'd definitely go for an endurance bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I went from an alliminium tiagra to a carbon 105 and the difference is night and day.Particularly carbon to alliminium as carbon has less road vibration. I'd get 105 at the least. I had 10 speed tiagra and I always felt it was missing a gear between 6 an 7. I don't have that issue with the 105. Plus 105 is bomb proof.

All that for sub 1000? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

At the price range the op is talking about the upgrade will most likely be modest enough unless second hand most bikes with 105 are at his max budget .He will have to go for something that won't tick all the boxes but can still get a good bike for his needs .

Is Tiagra much of an upgrade on Sora? I've seen a few cheap bikes with Tiagra. I've seen a few makes that I don't know about but look decent. Anybody know if Corratec, Sensa or Bhoss are any good?

Just wondering did anyone have an opinion on those makes?

Looking at them with google corrtec and sensa make high end bikes going by the prices did not see bhoss have not seen them about but if you see the spec on a bike you should get an idea i suppose the frame is different but as bikes are made up of components mostly well known you can compare them with the more popular makes and get an idea .I know that is little help unless someone comes on that actually has one or other of tose bikes .

Would you believe I found a bike on facebook, carbon frame, ultegra. Make is DHC Racing but it only has 2 rings on the crankset. Is that a big deal?

• Advertisement

Would you believe I found a bike on facebook, carbon frame, ultegra. Make is DHC Racing but it only has 2 rings on the crankset. Is that a big deal?

Two rings on the front is normal. Fair play, any pics of it?

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Two rings on the front is normal. Fair play, any pics of it?

I'm not sure if this will work. Apparently it's a carbon frame too.

looks fine was well within your budget ?

Two chainrings on the front is preferable imo, easier maintenance, better shifting. With a tipple you don't get much more gears as many of them crossover and are the same ratio.
    If you do end up struggling on some hills put a cassette with larger chain rings on the back, assuming the rear derailleur supports it.

looks fine was well within your budget ?

€320 would you believe

€320 would you believe
    Nice!

Do you know the chainset size, looks like a standard 53/39 but very difficult to tell from those photos. If you need to change the cassette at the back it's not expensive but chainsets can be pricey.
    Although if you don't do many hills it's a non issue.

harmless wrote: »
    Nice!

Do you know the chainset size, looks like a standard 53/39 but very difficult to tell from those photos. If you need to change the cassette at the back it's not expensive but chainsets can be pricey.
    Although if you don't do many hills it's a non issue.

No I don't know the chain set size tbh. I'm probably thinking I won't need it anyway as I tend to only use 2 rings on my current bike.

No I don't know the chain set size tbh. I'm probably thinking I won't need it anyway as I tend to only use 2 rings on my current bike.

Yeah that's the same for most people and why it is very rare to see a triple these days.

If you have any issues with hills changing the cassette at the back is a cheap fix.

harmless wrote: »
    Yeah that's the same for most people and why it is very rare to see a triple these days.

If you have any issues with hills changing the cassette at the back is a cheap fix.

I just thought going from 3 rings to 2 would be a downgrade but it seems not. That's a relief

I just thought going from 3 rings to 2 would be a downgrade but it seems not. That's a relief

It's an upgrade, lighter, less maintenance, smoother shifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

As with many Facebook marketplace purchases make sure the original owner doesn't spot you out on it or there could be trouble :pac:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    As with many Facebook marketplace purchases make sure the original owner doesn't spot you out on it or there could be trouble :pac:

Oh god, never thought of that. I hope that's not the case

Are you collecting the bike or meeting somewhere may be nothing wrong at all always a chance buying like you are .Don't know what the condition of the bike is but if they are throwing in pedals and Garmin might be looking to shift it quickly. You will have judge when or if you meet the seller good luck hope its OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

At this point I've no idea who is buying what but to whomever is buying that DHC keep in mind you're buying work and if it's the op I'd be keeping you current bike over that. Rear mech jockey wheels look shot so chain will be also, along with cassette and likely chain rings. It looks like a well used and less minded commuter. The groupset albeit Ultegra 6600 is old school these days. The frame itself may well be carbon but not all carbon is alike and I can't say I've ever heard of that brand. The wheel braking surface is likely worn to the last and you'll be wanting to replace that bar tape. The only thing of interest I'd have there would be the mudguards.

Again if it's the op then your money would be far better spent on a groupset 5800 or otherwise which may mean a wheel upgrade depending on your free hub. If I were you I'd take a pass on that bike and put away some more money for something else.

It's sold but for the money this would have made your bike feel a lot better. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058182357

Advertisement