Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mitchells versus the Machines

Options
  • 01-05-2021 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭

I think this cracking little film deserves its own thread (it's on Netflix).
    Lord and Miller fingerprints all over it

Blurb below
    Young Katie Mitchell embarks on a road trip with her proud parents, younger brother and beloved dog to start her first year at film school. But their plans to bond as a family soon get interrupted when the world's electronic devices come to life to stage an uprising. With help from two friendly robots, the Mitchells must now come together to save one another -- and the planet -- from the new technological revolution.

Same producers as spider-verse and the Lego movie.

Monchi is the VIP! Along with the two faulty robots

Foolish human air promo is also hilarious...oh and
    Furbys!!!!
    but too many highlights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Loved the visual aesthetic, thought the casting was great (Abbi Jacobson was perfect for the role) and it feels like the funniest movie I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished and was smiling pretty much the whole way through it. Really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Really enjoyed it. Good story, very funny and fortunately not too preachy about family values.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭Patser

Yeah, really good. Me, My wife and young daughter all loved it, and all laughed at completely different aspects of it.

Great animation, you can see that the Spiderverse team were involved. But fast, gag filled, great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

My highly critical daughter this evening when asked what did she wanted to watch asked for something like the Mitchells vs the Machines that we watched Friday.

The bar has been set high. And I want a dog like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched this last night, it was absolutely cracking! Very funny throughout and with a nice mix of jokes across dialogue and sight gags.
    Olivia Colman as Evil Alexa was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hurrache wrote: »
    My highly critical daughter this evening when asked what did she wanted to watch asked for something like the Mitchells vs the Machines that we watched Friday.

The bar has been set high. And I want a dog like that.
    Monchi the dog was great value...ha ha he reminds me of my own dog who is a French bulldog, he loves to lick faces

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fysh wrote: »
    I watched this last night, it was absolutely cracking! Very funny throughout and with a nice mix of jokes across dialogue and sight gags.
    Olivia Colman as Evil Alexa was great!
    For some reason
    the part where she wanted to be placed on the table to flip flop about angrily was hilarious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This and Spiderverse definitely give me more confidence in the future of American animation than anything Pixar or Disney has produced in recent times. That they're willing to experiment with style and visuals is a much-needed course correction - animation allows for such imaginative artstyles, but for so long most mainstream Hollywood animated films have been pretty rigidly crafted. The use of everything from live-action to sketchbook art here makes nearly every scene just jump off the screen.

I do wish there was a bit more ambition in terms of tone and storytelling. While this is certainly madcap in a refreshing way, the underlying sentimental family drama is very familiar. I think that's where there's still room to push things further.

Still, this is a whole lot of fun on its own terms. Perhaps pitched a bit too wacky for my own tastes here and there, but mostly full of energy and humour in a good way. The
    Furby stuff
    was a particularly unexpected delight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The story beats were rote but that was quickly forgiven when it was layered with both fantastic visual energy and a script frequently firing off proper laughs. And even if it was a little cliché, the cast sold the emotion, never truly dipping outright into nauseating sentimentality.

Who'd have thought Sony Animation would be the dark horse to kick American animation in the backside? Certainly between this and Spider-Verse, studios like DreamWorks should take a long look at themselves.

It is also funny how CGI is now advanced enough, it allows films to have a convincing hand-drawn aesthetic within its margins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Started off well, but for some reason my attention started to drift in the 2nd third. But the last 25 minutes or so they absolutely pulled it out of the bag. Its a film thats genuine and sincere but also mercifully free of gender and identity politics. Just pure, honest, wholesome, sincere entertainment, which has been lacking in recent times. The relationship between the father and daughter is the heart of everything really and its executed beautifully. Im not a father myself but I'd guess theres quite a few Dads out there with daughters watching this who may have been hit hard in the feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

As mentioned earlier, this very much feels like a Lord & Miller production but I also see there's a large overlap when it comes to the creative team behind Into the Spiderverse, TMvsTM and Gravity Falls.

I've only heard very good things about that show and was putting off watching it until my son was at an age where we could watch it together. I think I may have to abandon that plan now and give it a watch ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Which show, Gravity Falls? It's a great watch, I just get annoyed that the kids plough on through the episodes without me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

one of the best movies ive watched in a while. if i had to find a complaint, it was maybe 10/15 mins too long but thats reaching. voice cast was fantastic, if kids enjoyed it id recommend watching more of eric andre (Mark) and abbi jacobsen's (Katie) stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Brilliant film, loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Have watched it twice in the last week and it's an absolute blast. For me the final setpiece drags a bit but there's enough spectacle and the animation is so good that it's barely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It really is a great movie. I'd say if you had kids in the target age range for it, it would be even more enjoyable.
    For some reason, I have a strangle dislike for Maya Rudolph and once I clocked she voiced the mother it took away some enjoyment (it's almost irrational really).

I think it was the first time I watched something and felt there was a bit toooo much going on visually at some parts. I thought I was turning into my Dad! Thankfully, I settled into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Loved this film, watched it for family movie night last weekend, kids enjoyed it so much they insisted we watch it again this weekend!!
    Can't say I mind though 🙂

razorblunt wrote: »
    For some reason, I have a strangle dislike for Maya Rudolph and once I clocked she voiced the mother it took away some enjoyment (it's almost irrational really)

i used to have the same thing tbh, ive gotten over it now but she used to irritate me for no apparent reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭flazio

one of the best movies ive watched in a while. if i had to find a complaint, it was maybe 10/15 mins too long but thats reaching. voice cast was fantastic, if kids enjoyed it id recommend watching more of eric andre (Mark) and abbi jacobsen's (Katie) stuff.....
    If by that you mean "Disenchantment" don't bother. That show just proves that Matt Groening has really lost his touch.

Tell me, did anyone from "Big Hero 6" transfer over to Sony Animation? Because I think it had very similar vibes.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    If by that you mean "Disenchantment" don't bother. That show just proves that Matt Groening has really lost his touch.

havent watched that yet but ive heard very mixed things tbh

i was more joking on the fact that two of the main voices are known for shows that are wildly inappropriate for the audience of this movie (broad city & the eric andre show)

Advertisement