Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leicester v Ulster match thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Brewster wrote: »
    Ah the power from Leicester was immense. Ulster needed to get another score ahead. Cooney going off was a big blow.

Easy to look powerful when the opposition has effectively stopped trying, the first half when Ulster actually were trying you didn’t see that power...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

That game was in the bag and they f@£ked it up...

I've been super supportive of the current coaching setup over last few years but this year in cup competitions we are serial bottlers...I'm just fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ulster's attack was magnificent in the 1st half. But why did they start box kicking everything in the 2nd half? It was like they were 3 points up and trying to close out the last minute of a game, but from the very start of the half. They never came out for the and half.

2 Leicester tries came directly from 2 of the most braindead pieces of play from 2 of Ulsters most experienced players (Henderson and Addison). Ulster completely choked. Absolutely gutted, they won't get a better shot at a trophy for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

George Ford was absolutely incredible to be fair.

As I said earlier, it's odd how underrated he is outside of England. Even defensively, he's surprisingly effective. He rarely gets shown up despite his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ulster are still a pretty average team.
    They badly need a few quality players.

Timoney looks the best of their backrow.
    Signing an 8 will probably be a priority for them.

Too many sloppy turnovers are going to cost you in the end.

Leicester are a team on the up under Bortwick, a bit of dog in them again.

Funny game with each side dominating one half and the other hanging on.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I actually can’t believe we came out second half and tried to kick the ball to death.

Why?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

awec wrote: »
    I actually can’t believe we came out second half and tried to kick the ball to death.

Why?!?!?!

This........... Why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Can't believe what I just watched, we just gave them the game in the second half and they really weren't all that impressive. Stupid penalty after stupid penalty to gift possession to a team that relies on their maul and bringing big ball carriers onto the ball on first phase. Brainless. Burns and Alby the primary culprits for me. Burns retreated into himself once they got a foot-hold and quit running the ball - a tactic which gave us the lead and match momentum in the first place. Not sure what Alby brings, he gave them the ball back twice in the last two minutes and slowed the ball down consistently.

Other players let us down in key moments as well - Henderson's needless penalty, O'Sullivan failing to clear out a back with a running start and being overpowered too easily on our own try line, Hume shot up recklessly for their last try as if he was deliberately trying to make me look bad for complimenting his defence earlier on.

We had players on the bench that were capable of bringing a high tempo game to try and get the team back to where they were in the first half. Didn't quite manage it but our depth has certainly improved. Lowry was nice, Addison runs beautiful lines as well - he's been out so long I forgot how aesthetically pleasing the way he plays is.

Bit gutted at that all round tbh. Not sure where we go form here - a fit Addison and a rejuvenated Nakarawa would be a godsend but there are more pressing miracles to be handed out in a pandemic I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Easy to look powerful when the opposition has effectively stopped trying, the first half when Ulster actually were trying you didn’t see that power...

I hope you're not an ulster fan, because it's extremely disrespectful to your team to suggest they just stopped trying

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

OldRio wrote: »
    This........... Why.

because in the first half they won the collisions and scored both tries while Leicester were down a man

2nd half they were being driven backwards. Leicester have half the English team playing for them, and not many of them had a bad game tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Akrasia wrote: »
    I hope you're not an ulster fan, because it's extremely disrespectful to your team to suggest they just stopped trying

I hope to god they weren’t trying as thats trying Ulster are in a worse place than I could imagine, it’s up there with the Gloucester collapse that knocked them out of the CC... 6 months on and nothing learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I will also never get tired Timoney just zooming away from people. He'll be a middle of the pack player for the rest of his career probably, but he's often fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Next year is our year lads..

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »

Our year to balls it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

because in the first half they won the collisions and scored both tries while Leicester were down a man

2nd half they were being driven backwards. Leicester have half the English team playing for them, and not many of them had a bad game tonight

Maybe they did play well. But you cannot deny Ulster started playing directly into their hands in the 2nd half. Abandoned their attacking game which was glorious in the 1st half and played like there was a minute to go and they were trying to close out a game. And kicked everything to the 6'5 full back who was taking everything.

Not to mention the 2 absolutely braindead errors from 2 of them most experienced players, which cost 14 points.

Whether or not Leicester played well, Ulster bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

bilston wrote: »

Reminds me of Only Fools and Horses...
    This time next year we'll be millionaire's.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Even when Ulster were on the front foot they kicked the ball away. It was even mentioned in commentary 'They stopped playing'

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Just seen the Cooney KO, surely no one think that's a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Hey boy

awec wrote: »
    Mathewson is absolutely mince.

Is he staying??

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I will also never get tired Timoney just zooming away from people. He'll be a middle of the pack player for the rest of his career probably, but he's often fun to watch.

My God! What pace. Unbelievable. I think he's better than average. I think he needs a physical player beside him. He's upped his physicality and looks bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

That was utterly spineless from ulster in the second half. They'll always flatter to deceive. No belief. Marhewson was hopeless when he came on as well. All they did was box kicks at the start of the second half. Too afraid to keep playing. Did they really think they could win the game with just defending? They're nowhere near good enough to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Makes no sense, why did they go into their shells after the break. They had Leicester on toast at that point. Bizarre.

Advertisement