Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I add insulation in trench in old slab for new plumbing?

• 30-04-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭

I have having an old slab removed in places for insertion of a new plumbing pipe. The old slab is not insulated. When this is being done, is there anything stopping me from adding some EPS (as chunks or beads) or glass foam insulation gravel around the pipe to get a wee bit of insulation benefit? I know it is not going to make a huge difference but I have seen the thermal conductivity data on concrete and even a crude 1 cm of EPS makes a significant improvement that is worth the ten mins it would take but I don't want to damage the new laid concrete. It is being done by plumbers who are not very knowledgeable on the topic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

location?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

location?

Its an old terrace building. We will cut out a trench in the slab for a four inch pipe in the back room ground floor to move a toilet. There is no random barrier or anything under the slab. I guess the slab dates from around 1970.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

perhaps
    http://www.polytherm.ie/p/calpex-pre-insulated-pex-pipe/pcalpex
    if it liable to get wet when concrete poured

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you insulating the waste pipe or am I misreading it?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you insulating the waste pipe or am I misreading it?

I have no desire. I just want to insulate part of the the floor will be opened up. Only the pipe part of the floor will be exposed so it wont make a huge impact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ah ok, I wouldnt bother in that case, you will have so much cold bridging to render the insulation pointless.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ah ok, I wouldnt bother in that case, you will have so much cold bridging to render the insulation pointless.

I see. I hadnt considered cold bridging but yeah that would be huge.

Advertisement