Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter - Season 9 - 2021 - US Pace - Showtime (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Will Showtime be a part of Paramount+ when it launches here?

Are Sky or anyone else showing the new epiosde of Dexter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

what does that mean for Paramount+ ?

Sky have a deal the Paramount about the app - does it mean the Dexter might be streaming when the app launches here?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have enjoyed it so far. I think I'd watch Clancy Brown in anything. He is very good at playing unsavoury types.

• Advertisement

He is one those actors who just makes everything he is in 50% better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Disappointed about Molly. Thought she might've played a bigger role. I know she was just a means to an end and to provide info.

Angela seemed to get over her fight with Dexter and finding Harrison with her daughter quickly enough. Of course part of that is pretending she doesn't suspect Dexter.

Wonder will the finale be a longer episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,893 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was hoping Dexter would have make a wink and a nod "There can be only One" when we saw him cuting up The Kurgan and taking his head off.

Expected a bigger Dexter v. Kurt showdown.

Was convinced it was Batista at Angela's door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,678 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

might not have been paying attention at the end, will Dexter tell the police about the bodies or is he going to make the scene dissapear?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I presume when they start looking for Kurt they'll stumble across the bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Aaaagggghhhh.....was working my way steadily through the original series on Sky....had gotten as far as Season 4 Episode 5 where he's just tracked down John Lithgow.

Was waiting to pop on the next episode whick normally download like clockwork only to discover that it's no longer available on Sky ffs.

Is there any point just jumping ahead to the new series or will I be totally lost??

Post edited by Cartman78 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's the best season of Dexter. DO NOT SKIP IT! Trinity killer is the most formidable enemy Dexter has faced and their story has profound and long-lasting consequences for the rest of the show (and the new show).

A stuipd fcuking ending in one way however it was the code caught up with him in the end and at least that is a proper closure this time to Dexter.

And I do not want a mini Dexter spin off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

That was a much better ending than we got previously and reflects more closely how the creator wanted Dexter's story to finish.

I believe he wanted Dexter arrested and eventually executed for the Bay Harbour Butcher killings.

No interest in a "scrappy doo" series. This was the kind of ending they should have done years ago.

I would have loved a meeting between Dex and Batista at the jail, with Batista putting the pieces together. Would only have taken 1 extra episode.

Nice that they tied up Angelas story and in a way brought closure to Batista.

Post edited by horgan_p on

IMHO the Trinity Killer storyline was the strongest of the series. For sure finish it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I've heard it was the best alright....still raging tbh but don't have any obvious way to watch it now (have a basic enough Sky package).... suggestions welcome :-)

Sometimes my friend, you just have to accept that its time to raise the main sail, hoist the jolly roger and leave safe harbors for an exploration around the bay. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know how many times Angela reminded me of Deb, especially

after finding the bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

This was actually worse than the lumberjack ending. An absolute abomination.

An absolutely plot-hole laden, character breaking, shít filled soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

i am kind of disappointed with the ending as I would like to see more of Dexter. This season was probably better than the last two seasons before it. I know Dexter was a bad guy and deluded himself about doing good but it was entertaining to see him in a different setting. Hopefully that is the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I enjoyed that ending, great season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really wasn't expecting that ep to escalate like that. In one way or was very rushed compared to the laid back speed of the episodes before. Really glad he got closure and like mentioned above, original creator for his wish. It's like if they get enough views, they'll continue with mini dex but they really shouldn't.

Really enjoyed that series but was not expecting it to the like that.

Looks like the show runner wants to make mini Dexter

Clyde Phillips

“It’s all in Showtime’s hands,” he says. “If they were to call me and say, ‘We want to do Harrison. We want you to figure it out,’ I’m pretty busy, but I would drop everything I’m doing and jump right into it. I would love to do it, but it’s really up to Showtime.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Most ridiculous opinion I’ve read in a long time.

You best not head onto reddit, imdb or just about anywhere other than your house then.

You'll probably be disappointed.

Utterly cringing that anybody could think that was a competently made finale. Imagine thinking you're in the right on something you've misread so badly.

Dexter was brought down by some randomer who couldn't tell Kurt was a serial killer for 20 years, using a google search to search something he never used. A big LOL from me.

Final episode on a 4.9 on IMDB for anyone wondering.

Season 8 finale on a 4.6

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Enjoyed it myself, liked how it highlighted how he was in fact a monster and not the hero his dark passenger convinced him he was.

Personally would have preferred the do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars ending and him doing a run through of all his crimes for Batista but it's a damn site better than lumberjack Dexter!

Also thought Michael C Hall probably had his best acting as Dexter in the finale. It's a big no to a spin off for me too mind you, we have the closure we needed.

My issues are in the huge number of inconsistencies in the story.

Half way through episode 9, they do a full 180 and start trying to show you that Dexter actually bad. And they start portraying Harrison as some deer in the headlights kid.

Just so we are clear, this is the same Harrison that encouraged a potential school shooter so he could slice him up and lie about it - ruining his life and his parents life, broke the arm of a wrestler after tapping - ruining his season and probably his college chances, brought a knife over to Audreys home with the implication that he wanted to do harm, and carrys around a razor blade to use in altercations. He then kills Dexter (who he thinks is bad) but it's ok when he does it, just not when Dexter does it. Harrison is clearly a very dark person and the show tries to portray him as something else to make the ending work.

Then Angela - has a serial killer in her town for 25 years and she can't put the pieces together. Then a series of utterly hilarious contrivances have her start snooping into Jim. She googles ketamine BHB when he used M99 so immediately that lead should have been completely dead. She seemingly forgets about her missing girls to have this laser focus on Dexter. She solves the BHB case in about 2 weeks despite showing herself to be a completely inept investigator prior to that. A small town cop. It's completely absurd. And then quite remarkably, she allows Harrison to leave for killing someone bad, when she wanted to catch Dexter for doing literally, quite literally the exact same thing.

And onto Dexter, who is in jail on the most circumstantial of evidence, who has been in worse predicaments at least 30-40 times over the shows run - decides to just murder a pure innocent for absolutely no reason. It was completely out of character given the predicament he was in - ie not a big one.

If this season was actually about building Dexter up as this madman who needed to die and Harrison as this poor boy who was not actually bad - then don't write up to the half way mark in episode 9 showing the actual opposite of this stuff.

The season was showing such signs of promise due to Kurt being probably the 2nd best antagonist in the shows run - but as soon as they move away from him it turned to absolute muck. A complete and utter failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SeanT123

great show...so happy it is back.

I remember visiting Miami once and seeing the apartment complex the character lived in.

Watched it twice because something didn't sit right with me and it was the last 20 minutes that ruined it for me. The letter that he sent Harrison that was read during the ending actually screws up the entire season because it nullifies the whole father son dynamic they tried to build up during the 9 episodes. Harrison knew Dexter loved him going by that letter but somehow just forgot about this during the season? Dexter apparently forgot what he said in that letter? It was a really cheap way to give a send off that ended up undoing the episodes before.

Then you have the silliness of Harrison trying to be the good guy despite all his actions prior. Helping to cut up and cover up Kurt's body and then leaving his girlfriend out of nowhere. That's supposed to make him more "normal"? It's a shambles when you actually look into it more critically. He turns on Dexter for Logans death because an innocent died but he himself literally ruined a kids entire life because he wanted to kill him only a few episodes before. A kid that was not only innocent but was being bullied terribly.

The Batista moment in the last episode also had no real point. If anything it needed 2 more episodes and a reunion with Batista figuring out it was Dexter as the BHB all along. It just felt really rushed. Thought it was a meh ending first time around but after seeing it again I'm shocked it was even greenlit. They had 10 years to come up with a satisfying ending and they rushed it in the last 20 minutes. No need for a spin off with Harrison at this point. Best to just let it die out now. I expected Dexter to get caught or die but the way they did it was terrible.

Will Dexter be Harrison's conscience if the make Dexter jr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

This season gets a 5 out of ten. Final episode gets a 6.5 out of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

I loved the ending. Few holes in the plot overall across the season but really enjoyed it.

It kind of reminded me of the last few episodes of the Sopranos. You're rooting for Tony, even though he is a total scumbag. Same with Dexter, at the end of it all the code was a sham and you can see him for what he really is, a stone cold serial killer. And Harrison, as messed up as he is, saw that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The IMDB ratings for this season didn't make sense.

Episodes 1-9 had an average rating of 9.0.

The season was good enough, but it wasn't brilliant or anything.

The final episode was 4.6, so I was expecting awful scutter.

The last 15 minutes or so were a bit silly, but it didn't warrant a 4.6 rating.

IMO it would have been better if Batista had his one to one with Dexter and got to arrest him, or better still, Batista cracked the case.

7.5 for the season overall, and i'm glad it's done tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I'd have liked to see a bit of a showdown with Batista too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I liked it too - maybe a little rushed, but I don't get the outrage. Maybe I'm naïve, but for whatever reason I didn't expect it so it came a surprise. Even after the gun had gone off, it still felt like a "someone shooting from somewhere else for shock value" type thing. I definitely thought there'd be another season with Dexter in it. Also no interest in a Harrison season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I enjoyed it, and I think the outcome was always going to be what it was going to be, but it was perhaps a little bit rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They pretty much ruined Dexter the series as a whole for me, this was a disaster. I was wary from the off as some of the acting is atrocious [the Chief, her daughter, Harrison, his school mates .. all terrible actors] But I gave it a chance and boy did it lead to nothing but disappointment. Everything we thought we knew about his character was just p*ssed on in that last ep [the worst of the whole series btw]

• Advertisement

The series shattered records for Showtime becoming the most watched series in Showtimes history averaging 8 million weekly veiwers across showtimes platforms.

I bet they are regreatting that ending now when they could have streched it out for a few more seasons.

Mini Dexter on the way then I suspect the suits at Showtime will want more Dexter in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As someone mentioned above, i fully see a mini Dex season with Dexter as ghost deb, basically his 'dark passenger' trying to get him to kill while Harrison tries to fight it, could be interesting.

cant say id be interested in a high school wannabe serial killer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I was a little confused by the contents of the letter read out at the end. Harrison had that letter all along? Does it not contradict Harrison's responses/attitude during the first few episodes? And why didn't he question Dexter on his "dark tendencies", earlier if the letter indicated that's why he had to stay away from them? Was that maybe a sign that he knew more about Dexter and his habits from the start?

It made no sense whatsoever.

An example of them having this ending in mind that they were sticking to that did not fit with what they had written.

Harrison as a character made utterly zero sense. For me it was very clear that Harrison was very damaged and the most logical outcome based on what they had written up to episode 9 was for it to be revealed that Harrison killed Hannah in Argentina, and then Harrison over-eagerly kills Angela to protect Dexter. Dexter then has to make a terrible choice RE Harrison, leading to one more season wrapping everything up. Where you can write Dexter going more and more off the rails and actually earning his death.

This Dexter did nothing but protect the town from bad people for the whole season, he took out Matt who admitted to the boat incident and was running around recklessly shooting protected deer with a person literally centimeters away. He scared off a drug dealer and dealt with a huge distributor. How many drug deaths did the show tell us had occured again? Then he saved that podcast idiot and killed Kurt. But when he's chopping up Kurt in episode 9 there is this tonal shift and now Dexter is bad - just forget about all that. And forget about Harrisons wierd psycho behaviour too. He's a good but troubled kid.

Really annoys me that they had Lundy included in the vision at the end. Dexter had literally no responsibility for Lundys death. Guess the writers forgot, the same way they forgot that the BHB never used ketamine.

Finale is now the worst rated episode of Dexter in it's history on IMDB. Rated worse than the Season 8 finale which now looks like Citizen Kane in comparison.

Looks like quite a lot of people care about things such as competent writing and characters.

What they have shown with this continuation is that people really liked the series Dexter and they again made a total balls of the ending however this time they cannont correct it.

Dexter getting caught and Dexter getting punished by the legal system and all his evilness being put to him in court was how it should have ended not in some backwater forrest with no justice.

I would have loved to see his conscience Harry and even Deb talking to him while he was in court and his crimes were being put to him.

i dont think a court case would be popular or interesting as we know it all anyway, you did get the sense in the last episode that he understood his life had destroyed the people around him, his sister Doaks etc.

Season 10 on the way as Michael C Hall returns as Dexter Morgan in Dexter Resurrection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Shrug off a rifle round to the torso. Still, the third time is the charm. So we might get a decent end to Dexter?

• Advertisement
Advertisement