Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council contribution fees

Options
  • 29-04-2021 2:20pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to factor in council contributor fees for renovating an existing house. This house has been occupied by my wife's mother for the past 40 years. The house is now in my wife's name. The house is already connected to the mains water supply and the electricity grid.

My wife and I had to resubmit a planning application to add two dormer windows to the house. I'm concerned that our to-be-renovated house will now fall under the radar of new council contribution charges. I know the county-by-county charges vary, I've seen some Facebook group threads...yawza:pac:! Anyone have any experience of renovating an existing property and being asked to pay a council (I hate this word) "contribution"?

Anyone contest such fees and how did it go for you? Do you now have a crater the size of Mars outside your home that the council refuses to acknowledge:eek:?

Cannot wait to see your replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi all,

I'm trying to factor in council contributor fees for renovating an existing house. This house has been occupied by my wife's mother for the past 40 years. The house is now in my wife's name. The house is already connected to the mains water supply and the electricity grid.

My wife and I had to resubmit a planning application to add two dormer windows to the house. I'm concerned that our to-be-renovated house will now fall under the radar of new council contribution charges. I know the county-by-county charges vary, I've seen some Facebook group threads...yawza:pac:! Anyone have any experience of renovating an existing property and being asked to pay a council (I hate this word) "contribution"?

Anyone contest such fees and how did it go for you? Do you now have a crater the size of Mars outside your home that the council refuses to acknowledge:eek:?

To the best of my knowledge, you will only be asked to pay a contribution for the space you have added and the first 40m2 will be free, so if your adding 60m2 to the house via attic conversion then you will be asked to pay the contribution on 20m2, if you have received your grant of planning it will be the first condition on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi all,

what local authority are you dealing with?

and what EXACTLY will you be applying for, and what size?

two dormer windows to a roof is an aesthetic application..

but an attic conversion incorporating 2 new dormer roof windows is a different beast altogether

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what local authority are you dealing with?

and what EXACTLY will you be applying for, and what size?

two dormer windows to a roof is an aesthetic application..

but an attic conversion incorporating 2 new dormer roof windows is a different beast altogether

Hi @sydthebeat

Planning for retention permission for changes to an existing dwelling house. We plan to convert the attic space to living accommodation. Planning permission for a second story was granted many years ago, but we had to submit a retention application with some design extras.

Space wise: about 70 sqm.

Hi @sydthebeat

Planning for retention permission for changes to an existing dwelling house. We plan to convert the attic space to living accommodation. Planning permission for a second story was granted many years ago, but we had to submit a retention application with some design extras.

Space wise: about 70 sqm.

what local authority?

so to get this right, permission was granted for a second floor years ago... but it was built slightly different so youve had to retain the whole lot of it now...

and youre also looking to convert the attic as part of this application?

House is based in West Cork.

o to get this right, permission was granted for a second floor years ago... but it was built slightly different so youve had to retain the whole lot of it now...

Correct

Correct

• Advertisement

House is based in West Cork.

o to get this right, permission was granted for a second floor years ago... but it was built slightly different so youve had to retain the whole lot of it now...

Correct

Correct

Thanks

http://corkcocoplans.ie/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2016/07/Development-Contribution-Scheme-2015.pdf

this looks like the development contribution scheme in cork. (others can clarify)

domestic contributions seem to be rated at €19.04 for west cork.
    there doesnt seems to be a reduction for extensions

you need to contact the council on this to clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can see a ninja edit coming in Syds post :D

muffler wrote: »
    I can see a ninja edit coming in Syds post :D

LOLLLL

Advertisement