Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tomorrow War - Chris Pratt - Amazon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Honeslty quite enjoyed it, watched last night and far better storyline etc than I had expected.

Sure it's a mishmash of many previous movies but all in all a good solid watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Really enjoyed this. The dialogue was at times a little ropey but at other times it was funny enough. There's so many influences at work here, for my part I counted: Aliens, Terminator, The Thing, but I think it was most heavily influenced by Interstellar. There's a genuinely heartfelt relationship at its core between a father and his daughter and also fathers and sons. Chris pratt is good but Yvonne strahovski takes the acting honours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Watched this with the family yesterday, most definitely a park your brain film but we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Some nods to Starship Troopers in there along with many other sci fi films already mentioned in this thread.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Utter tosh, aliens were goofy no thought put into them. CGI was appalling, story garbage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing. As a film it was bang average but it's the praise for the father daughter stuff that confuses me as I thought the attempt at the emotional family guff failed in general particularly as I don't really rate Yvonne Strahovski as an actor. Other than that it's fine until the latter part:-
    He returns to his time with a toxin that can kill the alien but for some bizarre reason he and seemingly everyone else acts like he failed which was very confusing. He had a toxin guaranteed to kill the aliens and they knew when they would be attacked. It was all a poor attempt to stretch it out for an action scene in the end with Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

mewso wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing. As a film it was bang average but it's the praise for the father daughter stuff that confuses me as I thought the attempt at the emotional family guff failed in general particularly as I don't really rate Yvonne Strahovski as an actor. Other than that it's fine until the latter part:-
    He returns to his time with a toxin that can kill the alien but for some bizarre reason he and seemingly everyone else acts like he failed which was very confusing. He had a toxin guaranteed to kill the aliens and they knew when they would be attacked. It was all a poor attempt to stretch it out for an action scene in the end with Dad.

Agree with you about the end - silly beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Thought it was simple entertainment and the CGI was class... they've clearly spent a wedge on this and you can see it all over the place.

My type of film though, park your brain and watch robots, superheroes or magic... and LOTS of explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I liked it, 7/10 but I thought most of the side characters were forgettable, though like JK Simmons in anything. Not sure it felt like a $200m film in parts though the aliens were well done.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was damn good, great moments and without all the politics made the film really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I can't imagine politicians willing to fight a future war...
    ( and then after all that effort giving up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Decent enough, much better than the usual straight to streaming fare. The aliens looked good, terrifying and the CGI overall was excellent.

It helps when the lead character is someone you can root for, the older daughter actress is decent too.

Respectable 6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thought it was simple entertainment and the CGI was class... they've clearly spent a wedge on this and you can see it all over the place.

My type of film though, park your brain and watch robots, superheroes or magic... and LOTS of explosions.
    $200m I believe but yeah easy fun nonsense watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

The actress is Miranda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Lawson :)
    It was entertaining. Plot holes are to be expected in any alien and time travel film but they were nowhere near as ridiculous as plot holes in Tenet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was alright from an entertainment point of view until the third act when it just got comically bad and turned from Starship Troopers meets Edge of Tomorrow into Fast and the Furious with added aliens.

Not really sure what happened there. It's genuinely like the last 40 minutes was written and directed by a different team altogether. The whole final act is bizarrely based on dismissing all logic previously established in the movie and makes zero sense.

I'm inclined to say it's ultimately a pretty poor movie massively and needlessly dragged down by the last half hour, but propped up by some cool action scenes and good CGI.

Personally I'm really disappointed because it could so easily have been a genuinely good movie if they put even a shred of effort into the final act that properly built on what came before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Cordell wrote: »
    The actress is Miranda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Lawson :)
    It was entertaining. Plot holes are to be expected in any alien and time travel film but they were nowhere near as ridiculous as plot holes in Tenet.
    She also spent several years in a fairly action-heavy lead role in Chuck.

Actually the part where
    they were already there makes perfect sense, and it was quite predictable early on, the invading aliens didn't look like aliens capable of any kind of space travel, they looked like wild animals. So I was expecting them to be some sort of earth creatures that were released somehow, like out of a sealed cave or something related to that Russian meteor from 1800s.

But how the ending was written was indeed a let down. It was stupid to try to unseal the ship like that and risk setting the whole thing off early, knowing what they knew about what happens if they fail.

mikhail wrote: »
    She also spent several years in a fairly action-heavy lead role in Chuck.

She was also Dexter's love but she will always be Miranda for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Entertaining enough but the ending did defy logic totally.
    They really laid on the global warming allegory in this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

joe40 wrote: »
    Entertaining enough but the ending did defy logic totally.
    They really laid on the global warming allegory in this movie.

I thought the movie ended 90 minutes in and I was surprised there was still 50 minutes left.

The tempo change in the third act is so jarring.

That said, I really enjoyed it. Definite edge of tomorrow vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

God that was atrocious. Thought it actually managed to look cheap, amazed how much they spent on it.

Just a lazy load of cliches incoherently slapped together.
    With lots of pointless padding just for length.

For some reason the lab bit just after they jump niggled with me:
    "There's 12 of those blue ampoules, I absolutely need them all"
    - "OK" [clearly picks up 15 ampoules]
    "Yeah I've totally forgotten about those now, we're doing something totally different"

Most of the dialogue sounds like it was written by a 12 year old.

Cheesy sci-fi is great, but this couldn't even do that properly. Made Beyond Skyline look like Citizen Kane in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I finished this over the weekend. It was a relatively watchable 6/10 at best. Tom Cruises Edge of tomorrow was similar in feel but a far far better film IMO.

I can Ordinarily quite happily turn my brain off at the door and ignore plot holes but I now believe that Army of the Dead has unlocked something inside of me as about halfway through that I was actually laughing at how nonsensical it was. And during this I couldn't help thinking of things Like;

We are supposed to believe they would send people to the future instead of I dunno spending the next 30 years getting ready for the invasion that they know when and where it starts.

They think that sending untrained people would be the answer - there was an edited storyline that they poisoned people from the past so that when they were eaten they killed the various monsters and this is actually how they were fighting them. Makes a little more sense.

I don't know where to begin with the final third.... I really don't..... but let's leave it with..... sure it makes more sense to take a few pictures and go back to the US...... show the world and then bomb the **** out of the area.

I think what annoyed me most was the white wash of the most interesting part of the film. That Pratts character in the future leaves his family and he can't see why...... I genuinely thought that there was going to be a twist that at the end him not getting any credit for saving the world is what drives him to leave (the daughter even says that she remembered him being unhappy) and there being a hint that the future is set regardless of what they do........ But no it's dismissed with a simple line of "I know that I would never leave them"

Watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch and thought it was very well done.

Saw on wiki that it's getting a sequel so that's something to look forward to.

Checked the some of the history of the Writer and Director and noticed Director Chris McCay only has one TV credit and I was like.. Ooooohh.. that explains that 😁

Aliens: The Definitive Guide

From Chris McKay on rottentomatoes.com:

J.K. Simmons in another tv/film I liked. This guy is making a habit of being in good ones 🙂

Advertisement