Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's biting me in the garden?

Options
  • 27-04-2021 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭

This is a long shot, but maybe somebody has some ideas. Every year at this time only, I get bitten by something after spending time in my back garden e.g. weeding, cutting grass or just sitting down.

The garden consists of a variety of shrubs, a cobbled path and patio and lawn. No pond or standing water. No pets in our home. Typical urban location in Co. Kildare.

In my family, I'm the only one impacted. Bites are usually 2 or 3 at a time and can be in a line. They are always on my ankles and lower legs. I've never seen anything bite me or anything unusual land/jump/crawl on me. Bites cause small red bumps which are really incredibly itchy for a few days then fade away. Once bitten, no cream will cause relief.

This only happens from mid-April for around a month. Insect repellant on my legs will help. Bites can occur even when wearing long trousers as opposed to shorts.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It could be ants that you are disturbing after they have had a long peaceful rest.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

First thought would be ants, although if you're not getting bitten on your thighs/lower back despite sitting down in the grass, that might be less likely. Could also be fleas - even if you don't have pets, any other furry mammal that passes through the garden could carry them in (especially foxes and hedgehogs). After that, you're into the weird and wonderful world of opportunist parasitology - but don't forget that plants can also cause insect-bite-like lesions. Something spiny poking through trousers could provoke a reaction (I got stung on my knee yesterday when I knelt on a nettle while chainsawing, despite wearing my hard-work overalls).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Thanks! Ants, I'm not sure about as I don't often see these apart from the odd black garden ant. Do these even bite?

I'm now leaning towards fleas. Looking at the pictures of the bites online, the they look similar in terms of shape and pattern. We have had hedgehogs in the garden. It's entirely possible hedgehogs are living somewhere like under my shed. I do have dead leaves under hedges/shrubs so I might start by clearing these out to remove potential hiding places for rogue fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

JDxtra wrote: »
    This is a long shot, but maybe somebody has some ideas. Every year at this time only, I get bitten by something after spending time in my back garden e.g. weeding, cutting grass or just sitting down.

The garden consists of a variety of shrubs, a cobbled path and patio and lawn. No pond or standing water. No pets in our home. Typical urban location in Co. Kildare.

In my family, I'm the only one impacted. Bites are usually 2 or 3 at a time and can be in a line. They are always on my ankles and lower legs. I've never seen anything bite me or anything unusual land/jump/crawl on me. Bites cause small red bumps which are really incredibly itchy for a few days then fade away. Once bitten, no cream will cause relief.

This only happens from mid-April for around a month. Insect repellant on my legs will help. Bites can occur even when wearing long trousers as opposed to shorts.

Any ideas or suggestions?

My bet would be mosquitos. I woke up with a couple of bites on my legs this morning.

We more likely get them this time of year more than the summer as the type we get can breed in wet soil. Or a neighbour may have standing water or you might have a blocked gutter or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

same here OP

been plagued with hives on my legs for the past month, really itchy...went through my bedsheets and found a flea squashed it and no more bites (so far)

specks of blood on your bedsheets is usually a sign of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Could be midges

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bites confined to ankle level does suggest fleas. Some people are more susceptible to bites than others, so you can only defend yourself by using repellent on your ankles.

looksee wrote: »
    Bites confined to ankle level does suggest fleas. Some people are more susceptible to bites than others, so you can only defend yourself by using repellent on your ankles.

True! I also get bitten alive by mosquitoes on any family holidays abroad.

i know fleas are usually found on pets...but where would they reside in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭JPup

If you pull your socks up outside your trouser legs would that help?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    i know fleas are usually found on pets...but where would they reside in the garden?

Fleas live in the environment. They're found on pets - and non-pet mammals - when they're feeding (or have fed, or are going to feed) but the first three stages of their life-cycles take place elsewhere. Warm humid conditions (indoors or out) bring out waves of the fourth stage of the life-cycle - the classic flea.

JPup wrote: »
    If you pull your socks up outside your trouser legs would that help?

Insect repellent works well - but inevitably I forget each year until I get my first set of bites!

but the first three stages of their life-cycles take place elsewhere.

and would they bite in the first three stages?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id say mosquitos too or midges.. Just dont go gardening late in the evening.. Vinegar is great for stopping the itchys or if you come across those insect repelant bands that might keep them at bay

Another possibility is horse flies, son had loads of itchy bites after being at a lake last week and reckon it was them.

Mosquitos will generally go for exposed skin but horse flies are feckers as they get in under your clothes and can cause numerous bites. They actually saw the skin and then lick up the blood!

horseflies? surely too early for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I get bitten every time I cut the lawn too. I spend a lot of time around water getting bit by mosquitos and the bites I get from the garden are the same as around water so I figure it's mosquitos. I get pretty severe reactions to them and they always go for my ankles, rarely any higher than mid calf. They can bite through clothing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

I get bitten by anything that is capable of biting or stinging. I think when i go out they just see a big target instead of a person and they zoom in to get me. I could be sitting with a group of people for the evening but i'm the one who gets bitten/stung. And the site then swells up to ridiculous proportions and oozes and itches and stings. I've tried various products for both stopping them "seeing" me and for reducing the swelling when they've gotten me. The worst have been mosquito, caterpillar and horse flies.
    Trying to avoid the DEET products i started using a dry oil body spray made by Avon. It wasn't marketed or intended as an insect repellent but it was brilliant to keep them away. There were two varieties and it was the blue/green bottle that was called Woodland Fresh i think that was great. Not sure if it's still available but it's certainly worth trying.

For the bites and stings, I have tried everything. The best product i found was Autan Insect after-bite gel. My parents got it in Greece for me every year and it was a life saver. It instantly cooled the site and the the swelling wasn't anything as bad as it would normally be. It's only a little bottle but it lasts a long time. I think i found it on Amazon last year.

and would they bite in the first three stages?

No. But when the third stage emerges as the fourth, it's hungry and can't sit around waiting for its preferred species for too long, so will take advantage of any passing mammal with decent circulation!

like tiny vampires then

• Advertisement

'Tis all in the grand scheme of things, as noted by the bould Jonathon Swift some years ago:
    So, Nat'ralists observe, a Flea
    Hath smaller Fleas that on him prey,
    And these have smaller yet to bite 'em,
    And so proceed ad infinitum

:)

Edit: our morning news here in France this Thursday reminded us to beware of ticks, even in a domestic garden, as they - like many biting critters - are having a great time in this changed climate ... and spreading Lyme disease like it was going out of fashion. :(

horseflies? surely too early for them?

You could be right but the weather was very good at times in the last few weeks.

Was sure that's what has bitten my son last week as the bites are under his clothes, mosquitos we get here only bite on exposed skin.

No experience of flea bites but the cat is overdue a flea dose!!

minibear wrote: »
    The worst have been mosquito, caterpillar and horse flies.

caterpillars don't bite do they???

caterpillars don't bite do they???

Vampire caterpillars?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

I could have written this original post, except mine tend to go up to my knee. And I don’t really do any gardening. I live in an urban setting with not many pets around and I Don’t think any stagnant water. However we do have ants in the estate. Mostly in the front garden by our front wall and a tree right outside my house. Something to do with the sap on the tree I’ve been told. We see them every year around this time and I always get plagued with bites. Only happens for a couple of weeks but now I’m wfh it seems much worse this year.

As a result I’m guessing it’s ants. My wife doesn’t really seem to get bitten. Maybe the odd one.

^^^^^^^^^^

could be fleas, check your bedsheets and the inner lining of your trouser legs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ankles and incredibly itchy could be grass mites (chiggers) imo. Worst few days of my life with them after I napped in some grass one sunny morning

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

It’s plain old midges. At their worst in April to May. Use citronella or rub garlic on your ankles and stuff ur trouser leg into socks. They come out in the evenings. Midges love freshly washed hair and bodies so the more you perspire they quicker they leave to find fresher prey!
    Although if they bite in a line it’s usually a flea. Stuck in clothing so they keep biting. Ugh!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Solli wrote: »
    It’s plain old midges. At their worst in April to May. Use citronella or rub garlic on your ankles and stuff ur trouser leg into socks. They come out in the evenings. Midges love freshly washed hair and bodies so the more you perspire they quicker they leave to find fresher prey!
    Although if they bite in a line it’s usually a flea. Stuck in clothing so they keep biting. Ugh!

Surely midges only leave an itch and a tiny mark that does not last long.

The mosquitoes here leave quite large lumps on me that will be inflamed and sore/itchy for a week or so.

Advertisement