Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycleways, cyclepaths, good 'uns and bad 'uns . . .

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is a short enough stretch but they created shared (pedestrian & cyclists) cycle paths around Grange Castle Business Est from the Canal bridge at Adamstown to the Profile Park roundabout on the Nangor Rd where it kind of meets up with the existing crappy shared cycle path (shared with cyclists, pedestrians and truckers who park their artics there so they can get a breakfast roll)
    It is mostly good except for the somewhat tolerable stones and crap on the surface and that for some unknown reason the cycle path cedes priority to private entrances.
    The start of the cycle path heading west from Profile Park roundabout wasn't really thought through and you either use the busy road for 100m or you need to come off the roundabout and cycle a few metres in the wrong direction to access the dish ramp.

Further on, there is a cycle path on the R136 Ballyowen Road from the N4 to the N7. Some of it is on the road adjacent to the bus lane. Other parts are off the road and shared with pedestrians - I've never actually used this.

ON the southern side of the N7 there is a cycle lane which goes all the way down to the N81 - some of this is on the footpath and other parts in the bus lane (some of the bus lane is not operational so speeding motorists use this to undertake other drivers). A spur heads down Katherine Tynan Rd as far as the Belgard Rd. The Belgard Rd also has some kind of cyckle path shared with traffic so i wouldn't really acknowledge this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I understand - tbh I would always have stood on the footpath by the wall (LHS) and waited for traffic to clear - isnt there a pedestrian crossing there also?

Not designed for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's not great but at least there's good visability all around. I typically move right out almost into the junction (so at least the drivers behind can see me) and then dart across to the cycle track when i get a green but always checking for red light breakers. At least you can easily hear light breaking trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Cycle path from Seapoint Ave to Sandymount is a joy. Loads of families and kids use it safely to enjoy the coastal views. I cycle it as often as I can, just to lift the spirits. Let’s hope it is made a permanent feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

CapnHex wrote: »
    Cycle path from Seapoint Ave to Sandymount Sandycove is a joy. Loads of families and kids use it safely to enjoy the coastal views. I cycle it as often as I can, just to lift the spirits. Let’s hope it is made a permanent feature.

Careful. We don't want to open the Sandymount can of worms again just yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

It's not great but at least there's good visability all around. I typically move right out almost into the junction (so at least the drivers behind can see me) and then dart across to the cycle track when i get a green but always checking for red light breakers. At least you can easily hear light breaking trucks.

Thats exactly what I used to do but always tried to join the cycle track just at the level crossing as joining it before leaves you at risk of left hooks from traffic turning into Alexandra Road. So it was usually a race to get to the cycle track before the traffic behind started hassling you for not being on the first bit of track. Hopefully when they design the cycle track through Eastpoint and the port it will be a distant memory

Cycled from sandymount to vico Road at the weekend. Mostly fantastic but there's a strange part around some back roads near the forty foot. Is this even a cycle lane? Is it to just block parking? Is it to clear space for upcoming construction? Because there's no way a bike can fit in there

https://imgur.com/a/SQkxmjT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Not a bike lane, just to prevent parking.

... Is this even a cycle lane? Is it to just block parking? Is it to clear space for upcoming construction? Because there's no way a bike can fit in there

https://imgur.com/a/SQkxmjT
    To prevent motorists from parking on the footpad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we've seen those pop up at the ballymun interchange on the M50 - even on the slip roads. had been wondering why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Further on, there is a cycle path on the R136 Ballyowen Road from the N4 to the N7. Some of it is on the road adjacent to the bus lane. Other parts are off the road and shared with pedestrians - I've never actually used this.

This is part of my commute out of town to CityWest, via the Canal.
    It's a grand stretch, you need to jump back onto the dual carriageway at junctions, or use the pedestrian crossings. I do the latter due to speeding etc..
    I'm glad to have it though, it means my commute from the City Centre to CityWest is about 80% segregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I love the Clontarf to Sutton cyclepath, and now the Baldoyle to Pormarnock greenway to get you off that god-awful road too.

Would be great if it all linked up, but I'm no sure if that will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

I posted this before, but I think it's natural home might be here

529729.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Wow- did somebody actually sit down at a desk and draw that out I wonder. It must be in a plan somewhere.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Wow- did somebody actually sit down at a desk and draw that out I wonder. It must be in a plan somewhere.

I get the impression that the guys putting in new paths are told every new path gets a bike lane too, and they took them at their word

The purpose of these is so that cyclists stopping to turn right (because cyclists aren't "real" traffic, and need to pull over for such a complex manoeuvre :rolleyes: ) can pull in safely, avoiding stopping in the lane, causing an obstruction to other cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

vxKQ3zG.jpg

This may well be the shortest bike lane in Dublin. The intention may be similat to Type 17's post as it ends at a pedestrian crossing. There is no dished footpath to allow you up on the path and sharing with pedestrians and a tree must be a sqeeze.

Type 17 wrote: »
    The purpose of these is so that cyclists stopping to turn right (because cyclists aren't "real" traffic, and need to pull over for such a complex manoeuvre :rolleyes: ) can pull in safely, avoiding stopping in the lane, causing an obstruction to other cyclists.

Except that there's no turn at all there. It's the far side of a one way traffic light system over a narrow bridge, with a pedestrian crossing linked. So if you're on the "bike lane" you've got the bridge to your back.

They’re a nice idea in theory, but I’ve yet to see one done right. There’s one at the Clonskeagh entrance to UCD, so that UCD-bound cyclists can wait for a right filter without blocking city-bound cyclists, but there’s not enough room in it and I’ve never seen it being used - Few people probably know what it’s for anyway.

• Advertisement

This one in rural Lusk has always intrigued me. It's beside the R132 at The Five Roads. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose as there's a hard shoulder on the main road and the track can only be accessed by dismounting and crossing some marshy ground. It's only about 200m long and ends at the bottom of The Ducky Rooney's Lane after crossing what looks like a gated private lane with two properties.

I can only imagine that it was a 'future proofing' exercise when the roads around there were re-aligned when the M1 was under construction.

kZdTjlMh.jpg

Zs2x7Jdh.jpg

nv9B5aLh.jpg

BEopIlvh.jpg

Ironically, because it's hard to access, it isn't getting used, and slippery moss and algae has built up, meaning that it isn't getting used...

Type 17 wrote: »
    Ironically, because it's hard to access, it isn't getting used, and slippery moss and algae has built up, meaning that it isn't getting used...
    The recent dry spell has killed off a lot of the moss. During the winter, the track is normally green coloured and slippery.

the one near kilshane cross is like that too - it's on the south side of the road so doesn't get much direct sun; and is/was often covered in hawthorn cuttings when the hedges were cut in autumn or winter.

Advertisement