Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Raw files.

Options
  • 22-04-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i shot my first Raw images last week, nothing special just a few random photos at the end of a few wildlife shots, the thing is, all the jpeg images uploaded to the laptop as usual but no sign of the Raw files, they're still on the card as i can view them in camera playback, my question is, how do i import the raw files? :confused:,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The short answer is that they should just import like the JPEGs. But since it looks like that didn’t happen, some more info might be helpful:

Camera model?
    Processing software?
    Does your processing software support the Raw files from your camera?
    PC or Mac?
    How are you transferring the images?
    Are your sure you’re shooting Raw, or Raw + JPEG?
    If you’re shooting Raw + JPEG, does your camera have two memory cards, and is it set to write Raw to one and JPEG to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭glaswegian

The short answer is that they should just import like the JPEGs. But since it looks like that didn’t happen, some more info might be helpful:

Camera model?
    Processing software?
    Does your processing software support the Raw files from your camera?
    PC or Mac?
    How are you transferring the images?
    Are your sure you’re shooting Raw, or Raw + JPEG?
    If you’re shooting Raw + JPEG, does your camera have two memory cards, and is it set to write Raw to one and JPEG to the other?

Thanks Gregor, my camera is a canon 90d
    I upload my images via card reader to picassa on Lenovo laptop,
    i also have canon DPP installed,
    camera was shooting Raw only,
    Raw files don't show in folder.
    (hope that makes sense :))

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

glaswegian wrote: »
    Thanks Gregor, my camera is a canon 90d
    I upload my images via card reader to picassa on Lenovo laptop,
    i also have canon DPP installed,
    camera was shooting Raw only,
    Raw files don't show in folder.
    (hope that makes sense :))

Perhaps copying from folder to folder without picasa getting involved will help.
    Picasa is a photo management app with basic editing and sharing functionality not a RAW post-processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

You need to install the latest Microsoft "Raw Image Extension" to your computer. The files will then appear as thumbnails in File Explorer rather than as generic icons.
    You may want to copy over the files yourself rather than using Picasa.

markmoto wrote: »
    Perhaps copying from folder to folder without picasa getting involved will help.
    Picasa is a photo management app with basic editing and sharing functionality not a RAW post-processor.
    Thanks Mark, i am aware picassa won't process Raw files, it's how i've always uploaded to laptop, but Raw images don't show in any file folders e.g. pictures folder or photos folder, do i need to download Raw processing software before i can view my Raw files?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

do i need to download Raw processing software before i can view my Raw files?

Not if you already have Canon's DPP installed. That'll read and edit the files from your hard drive in exactly the same way as it does from the SD card.

I don't use any import software, other than File Explorer. I open the SD Card, select (usually) all the files; copy them straight to a nominated file on an external hard drive for storage and editing; then wipe the SD Card.

Windows 10 can display the freshly imported RAW files without further intervention but for the most part, I do my first - and often only - review of the new photos through DPP (Quick Check, full screen), reading them from the external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Thanks Mark, i am aware picassa won't process Raw files, it's how i've always uploaded to laptop, but Raw images don't show in any file folders e.g. pictures folder or photos folder, do i need to download Raw processing software before i can view my Raw files?

What windows version do you have?
    Did you try solution below?
    athlone573 wrote: »
    You need to install the latest Microsoft "Raw Image Extension" to your computer. The files will then appear as thumbnails in File Explorer rather than as generic icons.
    You may want to copy over the files yourself rather than using Picasa.

Apparently you need to explicitly tell Picasa to import RAW files, they're ignored by default. If you've only ever shot in JPEG before, you wouldn't necessarily have seen that a check-box somewhere in the settings is unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

You say you only shot RAW, but you're seeing JPEGs on your computer.

Maybe that has something to do with how Picasa imports images. But, I'm just asking in case you didn't set your camera to RAW capture only.

Assuming you did....

With your card reader connected to your computer and your card in the slot, simply browse to the folder of images on the card using Windows File Explore.

Right-click on the folder and copy/paste it to your desktop.

Then open DPP and point it to the folder of RAW files on your desktop.

You are now seeing the RAW images.

DPP is very basic.

Consider Lightroom or CaptureOne, if you want to dig deeper!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Most cameras (including Canon 90D) come with image transfer, basic raw editing and possibly other bits of software free.

Have look at https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-90d.html?type=software&language=&os=windows%2010%20(64-bit)

PS I am Nikon shooter!

• Advertisement

Thanks all, i'll have to spend a wee bit of time digesting.all your advice, i've been interested in photography for a few years but always felt a bit intimidated by the Raw side of things, that's why i use picassa to import and make small edits but after recently shelling out for the 90D i thought i might as well take the leap and try a few shots and see how complicated or not Raw editing is, i didn't get too far.

after recently shelling out for the 90D i thought i might as well take the leap and try a few shots and see how complicated or not Raw editing is

If you're only taking your first steps in this world, I would strongly recommend you use the DPP software you already have. No, it's not very powerful, but it's designed explicitly for the files the 90D creates, and it's probably better at this stage not to be overwhelmed with a million high-performance features and a steep learning curve.

As long as the card (or camera) is connected, you can use DPP to edit the files where they are, without importing them, and then convert and export the edited images to any other folder of your choice.

If you're only taking your first steps in this world, I would strongly recommend you use the DPP software you already have. No, it's not very powerful, but it's designed explicitly for the files the 90D creates, and it's probably better at this stage not to be overwhelmed with a million high-performance features and a steep learning curve.

As long as the card (or camera) is connected, you can use DPP to edit the files where they are, without importing them, and then convert and export the edited images to any other folder of your choice.

Sorry, I have to disagree. SD cards etc. are unreliable. It is best to get a copy onto a PC/MAC/Cloud ASAP. And then take a backup. Plus, the SD card will be much slower than working on a decent PC/MAC with an SSD.

An easy to use, free editing package, that handles RAW formats (including 90D's) is Adobe Photoshop Express.

You also might find it useful/enjoyable to go on a photography course. Dublin Camera Club (DCC) run a 10 week on-line course twice a year, staring January and September. The feedback from people who have gone on it has been very positive. Full disclosure: I am a member of DCC and am involved in the course. DCC is a registered charity and the lecturers give their time for free. Details of the course can be found at https://www.dublincameraclub.ie/shop/photography-courses-dublin-camera-club/introduction-to-photography-september-21.

Sorry, I have to disagree. SD cards etc. are unreliable. It is best to get a copy onto a PC/MAC/Cloud ASAP. And then take a backup. Plus, the SD card will be much slower than working on a decent PC/MAC with an SSD.

My suggestion was made in the context of the OP already admitting having trouble just getting the files from the camera to the laptop. At this stage, the fewer steps they need to take to start editing, the better - even if it's only to mess around with the first two test photos. From this and the other posts, there is definitely no need for the OP to be investing in upgrading their computer equipment and software when what they have already exceeds their needs and experience.

Thanks CelticRambler, i downloaded the Microsoft Raw software previously mentioned, i deleted the images on my sd card,i took some more pictures in Raw,
    plugged card reader with card into laptop, (apologies for what might sound like naive questions) how do i view my images on DPP or File explorer?

My suggestion was made in the context of the OP already admitting having trouble just getting the files from the camera to the laptop. At this stage, the fewer steps they need to take to start editing, the better - even if it's only to mess around with the first two test photos. From this and the other posts, there is definitely no need for the OP to be investing in upgrading their computer equipment and software when what they have already exceeds their needs and experience.

I did not suggest any need to upgrade their computer. Adobe Photoshop Express is an ideal beginners application. It is available for Android, IOS, PC and Mac. So it will most likely run on the OP's equipment. There is no investment required as it is free. Nor is there any investment required for the Canon supplied software as it is also free.

I did not suggest any need to upgrade their computer. Adobe Photoshop Express is an ideal beginners application. It is available for Android, IOS, PC and Mac. So it will most likely run on the OP's equipment. There is no investment required as it is free. Nor is there any investment required for the Canon supplied software as it is also free.

If you go into File explorer the Card reader should show up under "This PC". I would post sample screen shots but its not supported on Boards.

Have a look at this video it might help. If you are still stuck PM me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-pmga7ikrs

Adrian

how do i view my images on DPP or File explorer?

In DPP, the card will show up in the folder list as an additional drive (similar to those seen in the green circled area). If you don't see the folder list when first opening DPP, a single click on Folder View in the toolbar (circled red) will show it.

folderview.jpg

Your card should be labelled EOS_DIGITAL, and the images will be in DCIM/100Canon

In DPP, the card will show up in the folder list as an additional drive (similar to those seen in the green circled area). If you don't see the folder list when first opening DPP, a single click on Folder View in the toolbar (circled red) will show it.

folderview.jpg

Your card should be labelled EOS_DIGITAL, and the images will be in DCIM/100Canon
    Thanks, i copied and pasted the folder to desktop, it shows on Dpp as 101 canon but won't open when clicked, i tried various other folders and they open, i can open the folder in file explorer, i'll try again at the weekend, i'm starting to get slightly irritated now:D

i copied and pasted the folder to desktop, it shows on Dpp as 101 canon but won't open when clicked

:D You remind me of several friends for whom I provide IT support - doing stuff I specifically advised against, and then things don't work! :pac:

When you come back to it tomorrow (or the next day ... or next week!) confirm the following:
    - with the card in the camera, and only using the camera's LCD screen, are there any images on the SD card?
    - if so, take a fresh image: can you see that?
    - if so, then with the card in the laptop/card reader, can you see the images on the card using DPP (having single-clicked on the 101Canon folder)?

Those steps will help determine whether or not the camera, the card and the software are correctly set up.

• Advertisement

:D You remind me of several friends for whom I provide IT support - doing stuff I specifically advised against, and then things don't work! :pac:

When you come back to it tomorrow (or the next day ... or next week!) confirm the following:
    - with the card in the camera, and only using the camera's LCD screen, are there any images on the SD card?
    - if so, take a fresh image: can you see that?
    - if so, then with the card in the laptop/card reader, can you see the images on the card using DPP (having single-clicked on the 101Canon folder)?

Those steps will help determine whether or not the camera, the card and the software are correctly set up.
    Sorry mister Rambler :o, i'll concentrate a bit more this time.:D

51134494077_62b8f18153_z.jpg

Took a few more Raw pics, can see them on the back of the camera, card in reader connected to laptop, folder won't open when clicked in DPP.

Took a few more Raw pics, can see them on the back of the camera, card in reader connected to laptop, folder won't open when clicked in DPP.

Right. That's where your import problem stems from.

Now
    - can you open that same folder (on the card) in Windows File Explorer and see .CR2 or .CR3 files in it?
    - what's in the 100CANON folder, and if it's images, can you see them in DPP?
    - can you see in DPP the images in one (any one) of the folders on your hard drive?

Edit: have just seen that there is a widespread problem with the import of .CR3 files across all common photo editing and archiving software. I think you might be an unfortunate statistic.

Mr Rambler,
    Yes to question 1,
    100 Canon is an empty folder, 101Canon contains the Raw files i took this morning, won't open in DPP
    i can see all jpeg images in folders in DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Your camera generates .CR3 files which are a relatively new file type, with which not all software is compatible. It is possible that upgrading your version of DPP to a more recently released version may remedy your difficulty.

Mr Rambler,
    Yes to question 1,

OK, so are they .CR2 or .CR3 ?

And can you confirm (using Windows File Explorer) that there are files in the folder you copied to the desktop last night?

It'd be very strange for the Canon software not to see its own files, so there's definitely something weird going on there.

If you have the means to upload large files to a shareable location (e.g. Dropbox), you could send me a link so that I can see if it works on my system with my version of DPP.

The files are CR3,
    The files are definitely in the folder i copied last night.
    I don't have Dropbox, is there any other way around it.

I don't have Dropbox, is there any other way around it.

Google Drive? Or compress them the old fashioned way to send by email (not sure how much that would reduce them by).

A wee bit of progress made, I have a canon 750D which i was using before i bought the 90D, i took a few raw images with that, plugged the card and reader into the laptop, the files are CR2 and i can see them on file explore and DPP, so are the CR3 files the problem?

• Advertisement

A wee bit of progress made, I have a canon 750D which i was using before i bought the 90D, i took a few raw images with that, plugged the card and reader into the laptop, the files are CR2 and i can see them on file explore and DPP, so are the CR3 files the problem?

Certainly sounds that way. What version of DPP are you using - the one that came with the 750D or did you (re)install one for the 90D?

And what version of Windows are you using?

Now here's a thing I didn't know: the 90D offers you a choice of two RAW types, old-style RAW, tagged .CR3, and a lossless compression C-RAW file, tagged ... .CR3 This latter type is intended to be used in conjunction with wifi transfers, and as you asked elsewhere about wifi connection, I wonder if you've set the camera up to save in CRAW rather than RAW?

That doesn't explain why you can't see the files in DPP, though, as the newer versions are built to handle both types - unless Windows is somehow interfering with the display of the previews.

Advertisement