Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reap Scheme

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

_Brian wrote: »
    Is it set that 10Ha is the smallest farm viable ??

Allot of small holdings will be exempted which is a pity.

Think minimum is 2ha

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Still confused as to what non grass indicator species are. Also it seems that if you already have a good standard LIG you will get a good grade. But if you start with a poor LIG you will get a poor grade.....not really much incentive to try to improve grade.....have I got this completely arseways??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

893bet wrote: »
    The way I see it if I can get into the scheme and break even from it with the place fully fenced and a few bits done then I am happy with it. Nice trial for two years also before signing up to a longer 5 year type one.

The above should be a no brainier for farmers that would be in your shoes. I know farmers that never went into REPS because they said they had too much work to do. Utter madness as the first year payment alone would have tidied up an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

cuculainn wrote: »
    Still confused as to what non grass indicator species are. Also it seems that if you already have a good standard LIG you will get a good grade. But if you start with a poor LIG you will get a poor grade.....not really much incentive to try to improve grade.....have I got this completely arseways??

I know grass I had, that would have been managed like LIG, I have seen a lot more clover, and birds foot trefoil in the sward...
    Maybe these are the kinda species they are talking about?
    Oh, and nettles, not sure they mean those though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

cuculainn wrote: »

I presume they mean denizens of natural meadows like Ox Eye Daises, Cowslips, Knapweed, Plantain, Dandelion etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭893bet

Is there a limit on how much artificial fert can be spread if you make it into this scheme? I don’t see it in the official documentation if there is

Is there a limit on how much artificial fert can be spread if you make it into this scheme? I don’t see it in the official documentation if there is

“ Land receiving low inputs of chemical and organic Nitrogen fertiliser (less than 40kgN/ha) can be selected. “

https://assets.gov.ie/133019/3aa3c4bc-79e3-4708-9b6f-da63b0ae3ffa.docx

See Annex 5

Now, all I did was open doc and search for fertiliser, I didn’t read it for more info in there on low inputs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭893bet

“ Land receiving low inputs of chemical and organic Nitrogen fertiliser (less than 40kgN/ha) can be selected. “

https://assets.gov.ie/133019/3aa3c4bc-79e3-4708-9b6f-da63b0ae3ffa.docx

See Annex 5

Now, all I did was open doc and search for fertiliser, I didn’t read it for more info in there on low inputs...

Sure. I saw that. Was wondering if there is any limit on P and K application.

How do the department ensure compliance with these types of requirements? Never been in a scheme like this (and prob wont make it into this one given the limitations).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure if it applies to the pilot but soil testing would seem to become mandatory as Dept. want 'measurable gains'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sure. I saw that. Was wondering if there is any limit on P and K application.

How do the department ensure compliance with these types of requirements? Never been in a scheme like this (and prob wont make it into this one given the limitations).

There is limits to artificial P&K. I think the limits are equivalent to 1.5 bags of 18-6-12/acre.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

There is limits to artificial P&K. I think the limits are equivalent to 1.5 bags of 18-6-12/acre.

But can they test that? What if it was getting blackened with slurry for P&K?

Grueller wrote: »
    But can they test that? What if it was getting blackened with slurry for P&K?

They cannot really test for N but they could test for P&K. This was the problem with the previous LIPP and THM. Lads took the money and spread fertlizer as normal, just abiding by the dates for cutting etc.

The new results based LIP, MSL and late cutting meadows will change all that. If you spread toouch fertlizer you will not have the multiple species, late cut meadows will be too thick with grass and Indicator species in MSL will not take. You score will be low and you will lose out.

One thing I saw recently is if there is stone walls around the field they will score them as well and they will impact your payment

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

What are the environmental or biodiversity aims of the scheme?
    What is the advisors cut from the payment?
    Not that sure that I will join, not a very ambitious scheme.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    What are the environmental or biodiversity aims of the scheme?
    What is the advisors cut from the payment?
    Not that sure that I will join, not a very ambitious scheme.

Last time with Teagasc the plan cost over 600 Inc vat. Nutrient plan cost another 400 + if I remember right. Nearly 1100 Inc vat. Vat is at 22% I think as it's professional fees.

This time you have a slightly more complicated plan, you will still have the nutrient plan and the yearly inspection/sign off for payment.

At a guess taking inflation into account. Plan will be 7-800euro Inc vat, nutrient and first signoff about 5-600euro and 3-400/year after that.

Over 5years expect to pay 2.7-3k over lifetime of the plan in fees

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Last time with Teagasc the plan cost over 600 Inc vat. Nutrient plan cost another 400 + if I remember right. Nearly 1100 Inc vat. Vat is at 22% I think as it's professional fees.

This time you have a slightly more complicated plan, you will still have the nutrient plan and the yearly inspection/sign off for payment.

At a guess taking inflation into account. Plan will be 7-800euro Inc vat, nutrient and first signoff about 5-600euro and 3-400/year after that.

Worst thing on allot of these schemes is when consultants and contractors are paid there’s little left

• Advertisement

“ Teagasc’s fee will be similar to their charge for work on other environmental schemes, like the hen harrier scheme, according to a spokesperson, who said its fees would likely be €300 for the first year and €200 for further years.”

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/schemes/advisory-fees-for-reap-will-be-similar-to-other-schemes-teagasc-40358905.html

The nutrient management plan could be more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Worst thing on allot of these schemes is when consultants and contractors are paid there’s little left

Read in journal that farmer should only get cost of drawing up plan and any income foregone by implementing plan ( ie no positive gain ) according to EU

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Advertisement