Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City to Inis Mór ferry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

90 Minutes on a boat is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

sgthighway wrote: »

If it means not going to Doolin or rossaveal by road I'd imagine a lot of tourists caught for time would go from galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

New boat can do Aran in less than an hour its a high speed ferry

It's only 1 of the 5 ferries, they'll need to schedule for 90 mins, unless they have a fast service for some of the departure times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

It really isn't TBH, especially if you are staying in the City Centre and also if you are an islander who wants to do some city shopping

• Advertisement

Considering the current advice for getting the shorter crossing, 90mins looks like a time saving...

"If you are taking the shuttle bus you should present for boarding at least 90 minutes prior to the ferry departure time. If you are driving to the port we recommend that you present for boarding 30 minutes prior to departure."

Really looking forward to this service in the summer. Early morning coffee in town, hop on the ferry, Inis Mór for the day, cruise back in the evening and walk up for a pint outside Neachtains.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    New boat can do Aran in less than an hour its a high speed ferry

According to the press releases from Aran Island ferries, it will be a 90 min journey time

While it can go beyond this, it will have an operating speed of 20 knots making the fastest possible journey time, 75 mins. Taking into account slower speeds closer to land, and the likely diversion to take in the Cliffs of Moher, the 90 min journey time is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Wait until you hear about cruise liners

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If they plan the schedule to allow for a decent day trip and back in time for dinner the tourists will fill it no problem. Once the tourists can come back, of course. 90 minutes on a boat is no problem, it will be part of the experience, and far more enjoyable than the drive to Rossaveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think this is a great addition, and am looking forward to it. The ability to wake up on a random morning and check the weather and decide to leave from the city within the hour would be pretty cool, and not have to worry about bus schedules or travelling out to Doolin or Rossaveal. The same for the return journey.

I have seen it advertised a lot lately, but with no scheduled dates yet. Anyone have an idea of when it will commence roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Compared to the hour on the bus, waiting in Rosaveal and then the "Short" ferry trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Very often the bus rocks up as the ferry is leaving. Except for one day, I think it’s Friday, the time saving isn’t much, but as some have mentioned, it’s not being on a coach for half the time.
    I do remember rough crossings from Galway, so seasickness time could be doubled too 😂 but for the most part tourists would rather a single/longer boat trip I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

You would be suprised to see how quick the weather/waves on the bay gets once you are on a boat & you pass the Lighthouse Causeway, off Salthill the waves can & do reach 2m+

There is that part of it too. I do recall being a young lad on the dun aengus going over to Aran, man it was rough

The new boat is supposed to have been designed with comfort and the conditions in mind so we'll have to wait and see I guess

Personally I can't wait to go for a spin over to aran on it.

Rough outline of the plan is: get the bus in, hop on the boat, pick up a bike in Aran, cycle the island, grab a bite to eat, another spin, boat back, then, depending on tiredness it'll be (a) a few drinks and a bite, late bus home or (b) bus home, pick up a pizza, fall asleep on the couch

Can't wait ha!

I remember as a young fella going out on the Dun Aengus for a trip around a US Battleship that was on a visit anchored off Salthill ,she was huge and as we passed her by she turned her guns towards us and lowered them down in a salute, she was the USS Glennon pity we get no visits anymore from the US Navy. The Dun Aengus ran these trips around her for the week of her visit there was a crew of 350 on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I remember as a young fella going out on the Dun Aengus for a trip around a US Battleship that was on a visit anchored off Salthill ,she was huge and as we passed her by she turned her guns towards us and lowered them down in a salute, she was the USS Glennon pity we get no visits anymore from the US Navy. The Dun Aengus ran these trips around her for the week of her visit there was a crew of 350 on her.

Presumably this ship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Glennon_(DD-840) ?

Not a battleship, but a destroyer 1/20th the size of an Iowa class battleship.

Presumably this ship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Glennon_(DD-840) ?

Not a battleship, but a destroyer 1/20th the size of an Iowa class battleship.

Actually not her must have the name wrong I remember she had 3 very long guns on her forward turrets because the were up in the air as we approached and then lowered as we passed. Anyway to a kid she was big wish I could find info on her visit.

Certainly taking their time announcing the timetable and start dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fitz* wrote: »
    Certainly taking their time announcing the timetable and start dates.

Announcement due in the next cupla days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Announcement due in the next cupla days.

https://www.aranislandferries.com/day-tours/galway-city/cliffs-of-moher

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/irelands-largest-domestic-passenger-ferryto-set-sailas-services-emerge-fromlockdown-40409438.html

Tour Dates
    Daily departures: June 4th - Aug. 30th

Tour Times
    Depart Galway City Docks: 9.30am

Arrive at Inis Mór (Kilronan Pier): 11am

Depart Inis Mór (Kilronan Pier): 3.30pm

Arrive at the Cliffs of Moher: 4.15pm

Depart Cliffs of Moher: 4.30pm

Arrive at Galway City Docks: 6pm

Tour Prices
    Adult: €49.00

Student: €44.00

Senior: €44.00

Child: €25.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's a little disappointing that it's been set up as a tour and not a ferry services, but I completely understand it. June - Aug will be peak tourist season, so it's an attractive trip if you're a tourist staying in town to be able to see Galway Bay, Inis Mor and the Cliffs in one swoop and for only fifty quid.

Hopefully this won't be the case all of the year. It would be great to be able to cycle to the docks, make the crossing, spend the day on Inis Mor spinning around on your own bike, ferry back to the docks and cycle home in time for dinner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I have to agree, I'm a little disappointed. It's expensive and the 2hr30m journey back is excessive. Definitely geared towards tourists.

Will definitely do it once but with 4hrs of travel for 4hrs on the island I'll probably revert back to the old crossings after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I hope there is a bar aboard.

It's almost set up to entice you to stay overnight. As once you get settled on the island, 3 hours is not a lot of time really. Especially if it's a nice day and you want to cycle around etc.

Actually... would make for a very nice overnight trip and you can select a different return date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I agree it's a one-time thing but we've never taken a boat around the cliffs so that could be nice to do once. It is barely enough time to grab lunch and have a little wander so that's a good idea to stay a night, rent some bikes, and get in a proper day while it isn't too crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Looking forward to this!

Mr_A wrote: »
    I hope there is a bar aboard.

I don’t think there will be. For every one of you hoping there is, there’ll be three that don’t. There’s Corrib Cruises for that.

• Advertisement

Don't they sell cans on the existing ferry?

Advertisement