Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

The only time I remember talking to an inter county player who didn't think he was going to win a championship match was in 2001.

Offaly had lost the hurling Leinster and All Ireland heavily to KK in 2000. I was working in Offaly and was chatting to Johnny Dooley. Offaly were ageing, had shipped 3 bad beatings to KK since 1999. I said well Johnny are you looking forward to playing Kilkenny on Sunday?

He replied 'ah the only team that's going to beat Kilkenny are Kilkenny themselves'. It was very un Offaly. But bad beatings and when your ageing that can happen to you. They were well beaten as expected. They never (Offaly) came near to replacing that brilliantly skilful team.

Exactly!! That's what surprised me. I wouldn't agree with him. I know if Mayo in their prime played Kerry 70s in their prime Mayo would win due to training, diet advances etc. I think that's what he meant.

Even beating Kerry and Tyrone of the 2000s would be tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭C__MC

Although limerick are rightly favourites, Cork and kk have hurt them in this era of dominance

KK

18, limerick won but only just

19, kk won

Cork

18, draw

18, limerick after extra time

19, Cork win

21, limerick win

Waterford must be sick of limerick, limerick have dishes out some hidings to them since 2019

2019, league final and munster round Robin

20, munster and all Ireland final

21, semi final

Limerick look in Serious shape, Dublin footballers esque

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭C__MC

I just think waterford weren't good enough in the noughties

They butchered some chances, didn't they hammer limerivk in a munster semi only to lose to the same team in the semi,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Only by 2 points, after we had played three weeks in a row, and John Donnelly denied a clear penalty.

Just for the record... 😀

In 2007. Richie Bennis came out with his semi final quote after the match, we scored 5 goals today and Dan got none.

In 2007 Waterford drew with Cork, won the replay and were out 3 Sundays in a row. Waterford very unlucky v Cork 2006. Those were the years they might have challenged for an AI. Not 1998, 2002-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but it wasn't their fault. They came up against the great Donnie Ryan that year

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Could someone explain this to me , an inter county team take to the field after nine months training and spend 60 minutes playing with four in the forward line and when they find themselves six points down they decide the only way to win the game is to go back to six forwards . If 4 forwards was good enough for sixty minutes , then why change. Wexford were particularly guilty of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That's just reminded me of the story you'd hear about Micko Dwyer back in the day when he'd go into the Cork dressing room after the Munster final every year and plamas them about how they were the "second best team in Ireland." He might even have been half serious about it!

• Advertisement

They (Cork) had a fine team. Micko always said the right things. Never gave any opposition any motivation! Poor oul Micko is shook enough. He was flying managing Wicklow at 76 or so but time has caught up on him a bit.

Does any Cork person know is Donal O'Grady keeping well? I thought he looked poorly in the Christy Ring birth centenary documentary last November. A great hurling man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I remember someone once saying that Micko was the best sports psychologist ever and I can see the truth in that.

The cork lads will obviously tell you more but saw Donal on the pitch before the game last week and he seemed to be looking grand to the naked eye anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

doesnt count so,I'll ask the record keepers to erase it.

I'll call it here if and it's a big if kk beat cork tomorrow,limerick will beat them by ten plus in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Its a fear of being hammered but its a self destruction tactic as you have no chance to win the game unless the opposition don't show up. Waterford have tried this 4 times against Limerick and failed. In 2017 they played a sweeper v galway in the final, a team that had run through the championship picking off teams from 50 to 60m and rarely scoring a goal. Its stupid tactics that lost relevance in the early part of the last decade.

Ah that's great I hadn't seen him since the documentary and he looked a bit gaunt in it.

Micko's results with counties like Kildare, Laois and Wicklow were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

a lot of posters here putting far to much stock in history.

Judge this championship on the performances of the teams in this championship alone.

Waterford were terrible in the first round and lost against a Clare team who have a serious lack of depth with only two decent players. Waterford were so bad in the first round that a 100% improvement wouldnt scare anyone.

Limerick had a bit of a game for a while against a young cork side, but when they lost a man they went up a few gears and always had it in them.

Tipp made hard work of A very average clare side in the semi and never showed anything to make them be considered title contenders, their first half in the Munster final caught everyone by surprise but couldnt keep it up.

The QF’s in leinster were pointless, while wexford put in a massive shift and rattled Kilkenny in the semi they couldnt finish the job and kilkenny had a handy leinster final win. How bad were galway? Some considered them to be the best places to challenge limericks.

There is a question over how good kilkenny are, what level are they hurling at because a 9 point win against a weakened dublin side isnt exactly emphatic, but their display under pressure against wexford was impressive, however should it even have been that close?

Cork vs kilkenny will be interesting to see how good kilkenny actually are because the level leinster hurling is at is difficult to judge, and how far Cork have come can be gauged against kilkenny.

Tomorrow will tell a lot but i don't see anything happening that will scare limerick - the only team left that has turned up everyday so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Galways displays turned this championship upside-down. The most likely challengers to Limerick turning in two terrible performances had massive knock on effects for the entire competition. It resulted in a poor Dublin team reaching the LF, which KK won at their leisure and as a result we dont really know where they're at. Cork as a result end up in a hsndy QF rather than facing Galway or KK.

The terrible first half performance against waterford made them look better than they are and they took advantage by beating a wounded and aging Tipp.

KK are the only really unknown quantity left. Cork have shown nothing to suggest they're significantly better than other years so unless KK bring fire and brimstone then Limerick will pocket another AI in 2 weeks time.

I would never write off a Brian Cody team totally. They'll bring an honest endeavour (if, big if, they get past Cork) and a belief. It probably won't be enough against Limerick. But we can't say for definite. It'll be close if the last 2 meetings are anything to go by. Limerick won a semi final against a jaded Waterford, nothing more. Hyped up teams often fall in many sports.

Some posters here are in complete awe of them. Limerick accumulate points but they take a long time in their matches to knockout teams. Someday they'll leave a team in it too long, and their might be a goal burst or scoring spree from the opposition.

Huw Lawlor won't fear Flanagan, no Kilkenny player will fear any Limerick one. If you were Mikey Carey, DJ's son, would you fear a Limerick man?? They'd be chomping at the bit to get at them. Padraig Walsh, TJ. Like Cork lads, hurling is bred in them, their life. They'll come home victorious or on their shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Flanagan won't fear Huw Lawlor. What has Mikey Carey done that will make the Limerick HF line quake in their boots? If hurling is bred into Kilkenny, how come they've won no underage AI in years and no Senior in 6 years? You're getting carried away with your own narrative, put down the Internet for a while like a good lad, you're spouting on here too much as it is.

I didn't say Limerick should fear KK. I'm countering the 'invincible' Limerick line. They mightn't have underage recently but they get a few off the U20s each year.

Kilkenny 36 All Irelands, Limerick 9. They didn't care much for your half forward line in 2019. I'm sure Mickey Carey will acquit himself well.

Nothing worse than a parvenu. Won nothing in 6 years. You spent 45 years in the wilderness.

I'll spout on if I want to, you don't control who posts. The nouveau riche 😂 Go back to your Massey Ferguson MF 'man'. Get yourself a proper tractor. Are you hand milking 10 cows? Traming hay in the heatwave? Can't beat the buck rake😂

• Advertisement

It was just a light-hearted comment, no need to be a humourless gowl about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Maybe lay off the sherry you're making a fool out of yourself.

Kilkenny are not at Limerick's level at the present time

How do you know? You thought that in 2019 and you were the 'fool' going home with your tail between your legs. Kilkenny mightn't be at Limerick's level, or Cork, but we won't know until, 22 August.

Ye are a very precious crowd in Limerick. Suggest that someone could give you a game and you throw out the insults. They have won no All Ireland yet. KK tore into you in 2019 in the first half and when ye reacted it was too late. What's to say it'll be different this year? Kilkenny may have improved more than ye. Learn to win with grace and less thuggery on the field too.

Now that's a foolish statement. Getting ratty when someone offers a different view point. Thinking your better than the team that last beat ye in the championship and ye haven't played them yet. It only took you one post to make a fool of yourself!

You posted this post in 2015 🤣🤣🤣

'So they've won 11 of the last 16, 8 of the last 10 and 4 of the last 5. They seem to be way ahead of the pack with nobody getting close to them. There's no sign of a certain Mr Brian Cody retiring. At what stage should some change be made to the structure before people get disillusioned with the setup for example splitting Kilkenny into North and South Kilkenny for example.'

What a loser statement.

I think '04 was Waterford's best chance. We got past them in the semi, but if Mullane hadn't been sent off in the Munster Final and been available to line out against us, it might easily have been a different story.

Meeting Cork then in the All Ireland final, after already beating them in the Munster...

IF hurling is bred into Kilkenny ? IF ?

Don't be absurd.

A lad on a hurling forum, MfMan, who quotes Winston Churchill on counties making progress in hurling back in 2015..jaysus I've heard it all!

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” - Winston Churchill.

I find it ironic, as an Irish man, to hear Churchill saying never yield to force.. Considering the Tans and Auxies were unleashed by him here. And you're quoting this fella who felt the Irish were a lesser race, a champion of Empire? Good God. Moronic.

Good advice from Churchill when a heifir breaks through a fence I suppose.

True enough. Cork were really up for that final though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭somespud

The only certainity is that Limerick are in the final its upto Cork or Kilkenny(the counties with most All Irelands)to get to the final and challange. Limerick have nothing to lose and just play the game against the super powers of hurling. I would mention Tipp but they are out, I fear for Limerick coming up against such hurling aristoracy.

Advertisement