Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar chargers/thermostats

Options
  • 18-04-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all, am new to posting here. I'm trying to research solar powered batteries/generator I could setup in my shed to power the heat source for fermenting. Has anyone come across anything suitable?
    I'm not sure if I'd use it to power an element or a heat mat underneath my vessels but would there be anything out there worthwhile but also not too expensive?
    I don't know the exact power requirements to run a source up to say 20 celsius but assuming 12v or under should be fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

For the effort of putting in solar with battery (which you need, as most of the heating will happen at night), you could just run a length of cable to the shed.

I have done this in 2 of the last 3 homes I was in and could have done this with the third home too.

Current house has a loop of 25m of arctic blue power cable running out to out garden shed, its plugged into a downstairs socket and runs through an old hole in the wall left by a cable tv utility.

About 50e for the arctic blue, and a bit extra for socket terminals and multiway sockets in the shed (most surplus to requirements), and a bit extra on cable fittings to keep the cable high on the fence and tidy, out of the way of kids & lawnmowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

Cheers sharigan, I was just thinking of power consumption and just having a handy stand alone unit that could be moved also. In a nutshell free power or as efficient as possible to brew is what I'm aiming for :-)

Advertisement