Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time car finance/PCP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I got a pcp quote for an audi a6 before Christmas. Car was 60k euro. Pcp breaks into 3 parts, roughly equal in my case. Deposit could be smaller as mine was max allowed but if you do that the monthlies increase.

Offered 20k for my own 6 year old a6 which would be deposit.

550 euro a month or something like that for 36 months which is about 22000

20000 odd still owing at end of 3 years

So....I'd have to give my perfectly good fully paid for car as a deposit

Pay 550 a month

Still owe 20k

The headline grabber is the brand new a6 for 550 a month, a bargain some might think

But if you break it down, an a6 would cost 3 times that to pay back over 36 months in reality
    If I went into that, there's very little chance of me stumping up 20k in 3 years time to buy out a car I had been driving for 3 years and probably a bit bored of at that stage. No, I'd be nearly certainly refinance and get a new one...the cycle continues indefinitely.

That's how pcp works, adjust your figures accordingly. I'm not saying anything for or against pcp, it does suit a lot of people.

But just be sure you understand exactly how it goes and make your decision. For some, 550 a month forever (or 200,300,400, whatever) on a new car replaced every 3 years is great, others not so much.

I think that's a very good summation of it.

In 3 years time - You will have (just wild guesstimate) €20k Equity. i.e. You will owe VW Bank €20k for a car that's worth €40k....

So it becomes so so painless, to just....Use that €20k equity as the deposit for your next 3 Year PCP, continue paying the same monthly amount, and get another new car.

If you are someone who likes to have a new car (like my wife), then it is possibly one of the most efficient ways of doing so. (The madness of buying a new car every 3 years and taking the massive hit on depreciation every time is a separate conversation...!!!!)

I have to say though, in fairness to VW, the Zero % APR that they do on a lot of deals, does make it pretty good value. You really are just spreading out the cost of 3 years depreciation across 3 years without anything added on. When we bought my wife's first VW on PCP a few years ago, it was a toss up between a Passat and an X-Trail. Both had similar base prices and Nissan were actually giving us a better trade in on her old banger, but VW just blew them out of the water on the monthly cost with the 0% APR Vs Nissan's that was done through AIB. As far as I remember, it was about 120 a month of a difference.

Advertisement