Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4: scumbag car

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

How did SAAB end up as the last vestibule of the semi-luxury euro-saloon?

I've just been telling young ones in supermac 4 courts the aul 93 is bespoke.

please god open the pubs

Does anyone else feel like the desirability of Audis, Range rovers, BMWs, Golfs, Passats etc has gone down as it has become almost the default to drive one? Yes the car itself might (will) be great to drive but just that portion of the excitement that once came from the exclusivity factor has now vanished, unless you're driving a clearly top of the range model. Even then it will never equate to how it would have felt to drive even a 3 series a generation ago. Audis in particular have gone (at least in my head) from being something that always caught my eye to being part of the background of carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Does anyone else feel like the desirability of Audis, Range rovers, BMWs, Golfs, Passats etc has gone down as it has become almost the default to drive one? Yes the car itself might (will) be great to drive but just that portion of the excitement that once came from the exclusivity factor has now vanished, unless you're driving a clearly top of the range model. Even then it will never equate to how it would have felt to drive even a 3 series a generation ago. Audis in particular have gone (at least in my head) from being something that always caught my eye to being part of the background of carparks.

Golfs have been in the top 10 selling car models for a long time now. I would lump them with the Focus at this point with the amount of them around. Most carparks these days are full of SUV/cross-over yokes - Qashqai, Kona, Sportage, Juke etc.... Once you're not in one of them I'd still say there's a bit of allure left in the German saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If you want exclusivity and desirability Tesla has taken the place that Audi , BMW and Merc had with the ppl who want to show they are doing well without being flashy or loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Audi drivers are universally known as complete tossers over here in England. They make BMW drivers look like sedantry old lads in a Volvo.

A certain demographic drive Audis over here. I could list out the characteristics of the stereotypical Audi driver but I will be accused of racism.

• Advertisement

TBH I would never have put VWs in a category of desirability. Grand solid car- I have owned a Golf in my time. But the Passat...really? I associate any diesel VW especially a Passat or Jetta as the car of choice for farmers and more rural types.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The desirability of them couldn't have gone down in too many people's eyes if you're seeing them everywhere nowadays.
    Exclusivity has decreased, and affordability has increased, but clearly desirability has stepped up a notch.

TBH I would never have put VWs in a category of desirability. Grand solid car- I have owned a Golf in my time. But the Passat...really? I associate any diesel VW especially a Passat or Jetta as the car of choice for farmers and more rural types.

I suppose Passat would be the least desirable of the cars generally deemed desirable.

I suppose the increased quality of what is considered the average car to drive is similar to how the standard of phone people have has improved massively over the years. In the 2000s people would have baulked at the thought of paying even 300 for a phone, now the median price people pay must be about 700-800 euro. People look around at what other people are driving and human nature being what it is they see that as the reference point. Fewer people are willing to make do nowadays with a car they don't really like that much and push the boat out to get the one they actually want, hence all the Golfs on Irish roads despite being frustratingly way more expensive than other hatchbacks; they simply are the best and most desirable.

I suppose Passat would be the least desirable of the cars generally deemed desirable.

I suppose the increased quality of what is considered the average car to drive is similar to how the standard of phone people have has improved massively over the years. In the 2000s people would have baulked at the thought of paying even 300 for a phone, now the median price people pay must be about 700-800 euro. People look around at what other people are driving and human nature being what it is they see that as the reference point. Fewer people are willing to make do nowadays with a car they don't really like that much and push the boat out to get the one they actually want, hence all the Golfs on Irish roads despite being frustratingly way more expensive than other hatchbacks; they simply are the best and most desirable.

I no longer own a car. I lease in England...luckily enough the car leasing market is very competitive and widespread over here. Not sure what is like in Ireland these days but there was really no car leasing market in Ireland 15-20 years ago to the general public.

In fact I don't plan on ever buying a car again.

Basically for £250-£350 a month I can drive a brand new car (BMW, Merc, Audi) of whatever make every two years. No NCT or tax to pay. Just insure it and keep under a certain mileage which is easy enough to judge in advance. Obviously Porsches etc will cost £600-£700 per month.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    The desirability of them couldn't have gone down in too many people's eyes if you're seeing them everywhere nowadays.
    Exclusivity has decreased, and affordability has increased, but clearly desirability has stepped up a notch.

I think that while the demand has gone up, people getting those cars are more likely now to feel they are just getting something they expect to be able to have, or even the minimum they would feel content with, and modern financing options facilitate this.

In the past, a person buying an audi, bmw or merc felt they were buying something exclusive - for one the, less exclusive brands were less powerful and comfortable than they are today and fewer of these top brands were on the roads. I think this all touches on a broader sociological point that luxury and high material living standards in general aren't as exclusive or unobtainable as they once we're so the sense of excitement from them is diminished in general. This doesn't mean that these cars arent as powerful as they are, but the more common cars with huge bhp figures are the less noteworthy it is.

I can't help but admire a top of the range Tesla when I see one, but give it a few years and they will become more common and therefore less noteworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I no longer own a car. I lease in England...luckily enough the car leasing market is very competitive and widespread over here. Not sure what is like in Ireland these days but there was really no car leasing market in Ireland 15-20 years ago to the general public.

In fact I don't plan on ever buying a car again.

Basically for £250-£350 a month I can drive a brand new car (BMW, Merc, Audi) of whatever make every two years. No NCT or tax to pay. Just insure it and keep under a certain mileage which is easy enough to judge in advance. Obviously Porsches etc will cost £600-£700 per month.

So, quick comparison from the first sites I found on Google. An Audi A4 35 TFSI, 48 month contract:
    UK: €286 (£247) p/m
    €2,577 (£2224) downpayment
    Ire: €656 p/m
    €4,656 downpayment

Leasing costs in Ireland are insane in comparison to the UK.

So, quick comparison from the first sites I found on Google. An Audi A4 35 TFSI, 48 month contract:
    UK: €286 (£247) p/m
    €2,577 (£2224) downpayment
    Ire: €656 p/m
    €4,656 downpayment

Leasing costs in Ireland are insane in comparison to the UK.

and even then the costs in England have rocketed during Covid. I signed up for my latest car in December 2019 with delivery for March 2020 which was pushed back to July.

My car now would set me back £150 extra per month and £1600 extra down payment. Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Passat CC and Arteon would be decent enough looking, 06 up Passat with the faulty everything kind of pi$$ed off the farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

More doors for more whores according to a sticker I saw recently

Seen a few of these in the midlands recently, and a few "Dirty Diesel" stickers.

abord1-600x600.jpg

Advertisement