Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Hill of Doon in Oughterard

• 16-04-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭ obi604

Hi

I have heard some people taking about the hill of Doon in Outgherard - that it’s a nice spot, so may do this over the weekend.

I’ve googled it and not sure if it’s just a scenic drive or a walk or a hike.

Can anyone tell me? Would like to do a hike type activity is it something along the lines of diamond hill etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ blaris

It's ok, just an easy enough hike, Coillte-like trails. Mostly just overgrazed destroyed blanket bog, windmills and conifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭ obi604

blaris wrote: »
    It's ok, just an easy enough hike, Coillte-like trails. Mostly just overgrazed destroyed blanket bog, windmills and conifers.

Thanks.

Is there a trail you can follow?

Do you actually get to climb a hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ blaris

Hmm, it seems I was posting about Doon just after Moycullen. The Hill of Doon past Oughterard does look rather more appealing. But I have not been there. Apologies.

blaris wrote: »
    Hmm, it seems I was posting about Doon just after Moycullen. The Hill of Doon past Oughterard does look rather more appealing. But I have not been there. Apologies.

Noted.

Anybody else know anything about the Hill of Doon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭ stampydmonkey

obi604 wrote: »
    Noted.

Anybody else know anything about the Hill of Doon?

Went there loads of times as kids and got engaged there too. It's a gorgeous spot. You drive all the way to the end of the road and can park up. There's a jetty below the last parking spot. Great for a picnic. You can then walk the hill or head down by the lake. It's stunning in every weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭ stampydmonkey

Went there loads of times as kids and got engaged there too. It's a gorgeous spot. You drive all the way to the end of the road and can park up. There's a jetty below the last parking spot. Great for a picnic. You can then walk the hill or head down by the lake. It's stunning in every weather

Ah ok, so you can actually climb the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭ jkforde

Hill of Doon is on the north side of the lake, the Glann road leads to a viewpoint from which you can see the Hill of Doon peninsula. The end of the public road leads to the continuation of the Western Way over to Maam, a truly class walk during fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭ ax530

I know of it as a drive/cycle to a scenic spot viewing point over corrib. Have not walked down to shore but believe you can.

The young lad loves climbing but his main thing is getting to a summit like you would in Diamond hill or Moylissa, abbey hill etc.

It seems this spot at Doon is not ascending a hill, it’s
    More so a walk beside a hill, is this correct?

• Advertisement
Advertisement