Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Definitely a solid interim solution while we wait for NBI. That 100 euro per month charge is a killer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Do you get stung for customs charges when the package gets here?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

After seeing my area announced for FTTH through NBI 2025-2026 I decided to take the plunge for Starlink. Seeing as orders placed back in February are still waiting I'm assuming not to see this arrive until December at the earliest but more likely early 2022.

Bit worried about the install part of it, as I'll definitely need to find someone be it someone who installs TV Satellites etc to do the install.

Anyone here place orders in the last few months and get lucky with the order being shipped or is everyone pretty much waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wikily

If you can go up a ladder and hammer drill 4 m8 rawlplugs, pop dishy into a 25eu satellite bracket and just turn it on. Route cable through attic, and drill 25mm hole for router placement on landing..... Velcro should do. Simples.🤪

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I'm still waiting since Feb but even if I try to place a new order for an address close by using the Plus Code it still says mid to late 2021. Considering its now October I'm hoping I will get it soon. NBI says we won't be getting fibre until 2025/2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

I don't understand why it takes them so long to send the kit out. Surely they are able to manufacture them quickly and the cost of delivery is paid by the customer so that can't be a reason either for a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

supply and demand. They cant make enough dishes quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Maybe it is a good thing, is there only 1 satellite currently at Irish sky?

What bandwidth capacity of 1 satellite would be? 20-30 Gbps, I suppose.

You’ll get Imagine type of congestion very quickly when you start to ship dishes faster than launching new satellites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wonder what starlink will be like once they start selling it to anyone who wants it.

I think demand will be huge and speed limits and caps will have to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For 1200 euro a year. Has no one exhausted getting a long aerial to fit a 4G recover antenna on. That sounds far cheaper than the 5 grand you'll spend on this till NBI... I'm fortunate to have imagine and also 4G locally with an external antenna. If mine was patchy I'd get a long aerial to mount the antenna to.

Oh I forgot the 500 euro initial fee too . That would buy you top of the line. Router

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I ran Three on 2x Poynting lpda-92 meter long antennas (configured for MIMO) with an unlocked modem for a couple years before getting Imagine - it still only netted me an average 20Mbit but varying between 5-40Mbit. This was with the modem forced to stay on 3G because 4G even with full signal was so contended I was getting 5Mbit consistently.

I've been very lucky with Imagine so far (knock on wood) as there is a lot of people in the area using Eir's rural fiber, and many others wouldn't have line of sight to the Imagine mast due to all of the hills here. Eir's fiber stopped 900M away and NBI wont get here til 2026.

You can throw as many antennas at 4/5G as you want but you wont be able to overcome contention if its over subscribed.

Ultimately the question with Starlink is also going to be contention for me. I've hopped between 3 fixed wireless providers now since they were great at the start then just over sold and became unusable. Still dreading the day Imagine here goes the same way.

Unfortunately wont do the job for me. While initially I found it hard justify the cost, seeing the Fibre rollout between 2025/26 (2024 if we get the acceleration) worst case scenario is Il be overpaying ~65 euro a month for the next three - five years.

With that at least I dont have to ping other people at work to upload files on my behalf nor do I need to wait X amount of time for large files to download.

Saying that, if rumours are true and this "mid to late 21" starlink date runs into mid/late 2022, I might just wait it out and hope we have more concrete timelines for NBI by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fair enough.

I run a dual LTE setup. The core is the imagine with fall back or dual operation of Three. Cost total 80pm. So I have capacity and fallback if needed. Only cost me an additional LTE router and antenna . Attached to existing chimeny mounted FM antenna pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Just got my notification email, the 400 odd euro is a stinger alright but I'm happy to get rid of my fixed wireless.

Got mine there as did two friends.

Came in sooner than I thought, contract with vodafone not up til March.

100 quid a month is the real stinger but hoping itl be worth it while we wait for NBI rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

I was losing hope that it was actually gonna happen this year. Email hit my inbox around 2:30 this morning.

Happy days...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Looking at Reddit last night there was quiet a few posts from Ireland there where people got the nod yesterday, they must be sending a batch of them here in a single load.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Got my notification yesterday too, and I paid for it, so should arrive early next week. The big question for me is whether or not it will work with Sky Q. The internet is currently 50/50 with people saying it worked fine for them and not at all for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

As far as I know all Ireland and New Zealand have both been fully opened for new Starlink orders with the substantial backlogs also being worked through quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 john1066

Received my notification this morning. Would someone say how long it took between notification and the equipment arriving?

Happy days indeed 😁 especially as the NBI site is telling me they are speeding up their program and in the same breath they are saying

they'll get to me in 2026. I seem to remember when it was launched they were going to be done in five years (=2024). Seems they don't understand the meaning of the word initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

anyone who got their notification whereabouts are you situated .. I'm up near the border (still southern) and ordered in Feb, no notification

😪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Got my notifcation last night too. Less than 2 months since I put down the deposit. Based in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 john1066

Sounds easy enough - what diameter of bracket works? Also wondering how the dish fares in the stormy winds we get at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Eleusis

Got my confirmation last night. So exciting!! Im near the border. In leitrim. Been waiting since Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

I got my notification email yesterday afternoon. I'm in the middle of moving house to a location with no phone signal and no Internet access until the nbi get there in 2024 so I am extremely grateful to be able to use this service . I'm based in Mayo.

• Advertisement

Advertisement