Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Who wasn’t watching Eamon Ryan and let him proclaim that the only army Baracks in Dublin was being turned over for housing ? It took Simon Coveney( the actual minister with control over army barracks) to clarify what is happening, which is a feasibility study on what it would take IF they wanted to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

When you have yourself in a situation, over a number of years, were you have to be adaptable and open to change, returning to the same old crisis as covid becomes more manageable is a failure. We will now have covid on top of the traditional FF/FG crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is the main problem with the hospitals and the over crowding. Everyone is sent to A&E whether it is serious or not and this causes the chokepoint. There has to be a better way diagnosis can be done elsewhere outside the hospital and then if needs be the person can be referred. In other countries doctors surgeries/clinics can do almost everything from taking bloods to xrays and in some cases treat minor injuries. As said in this country everyone is sent to A&E. I remember my own father with undiagnosed bowel cancer being told by the doc to go to A&E and my dad and mother went to the hospital on the bus. Its not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

TDs shouldn't have private health insurance, if they are responsible for the public health system it should be the only one available to them. Don't care who has or hasn't got it but I think there should be a law passed that sitting TDs have to exclusively use the public health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ok so why don't you share a link about our superior nurse-bed ratio when compared to other EU countries.

I shared many links with you showing why bed capacity is a major problem in our health service. I even provided data pre-covid on trolley numbers.

Now, tell me....why have successive FF and FG governments prioritised a 'superior nurse-bed ratio' over more bed capacity? Why is the nurse-bed ratio deemed more important and more cost effective than adding bed capacity? Why is the nurse-bed ratio more important than taking so many people off trolleys and chairs year after year??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You have shared INMO commentary on our bed capacity problem, which is hardly neutral.

But as you ask, we are sixth highest in Europe, which to be fair, is down a bit on the last time I checked.

We also have the highest number of nurses per capita in the EU.

"Ireland had 1 288 professionally active nursing professionals (including also midwives) per 100 000 inhabitants in 2018, followed by Luxembourg with 1 172 practising nursing professionals per 100 000 inhabitants (2017 data). Germany, Sweden (2017 data), France (professionally active) and Denmark all recorded more than 1 000 practising nursing professionals per 100 000 inhabitants."

Unlike your biased commentary from an interested party (about as accurate as a SF report on the costs of a united Ireland), the figures I have presented are reputable statistics.

Please answer my 5 questions below.

Ok so why don't you share a link about our superior nurse-bed ratio when compared to other EU countries.

I shared many links with you showing why bed capacity is a major problem in our health service. I even provided data pre-covid on trolley numbers.

Now, tell me....

1. why have successive FF and FG governments prioritised a 'superior nurse-bed ratio' over more bed capacity?
    2. Why is the nurse-bed ratio deemed more important and more cost effective than adding bed capacity?
    3. Why is the nurse-bed ratio more important than taking so many people off trolleys and chairs year after year??
    4. Why did we keep running out of beds every single winter, even before Covid?
    5. Why is our bed occupancy rate always so high?

By the way, comparing INMO metrics to a SF report just makes you look like an ignoramus.

OECD nurse patient ratios do not give the full picture | Health Manager

The OECD figures for nurse patient ratios in Ireland did not portray the full picture of nursing work in Ireland, Prof. Jonathan Drennan, Professor of Nursing and Health Services Research, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University College, Cork, told the conference.

Speaking on “Safer nurse staffing: the right person in the right place at the right time, he said that if you just looked at OECD figures, Ireland, with 12.4 nurses per 1,000 population, had more nurses than most OECD states. However, this was not the full picture, as the Irish figures included nurses working in management and education and that made it difficult to get accurate figures of those working directly in clinical practice. In other countries, part of the registration process involved stating place of work – this did not happen in Ireland.

It had also to be remembered that the environment in which Irish nurses worked was very complex, because Ireland had one of the lowest number of beds per thousand population and one of the highest bed occupancy rates in the OECD. The number of beds in hospitals, patient acuity and dependency, support from other health professionals and patient turnover determined the kind of work which nurses carried out. A small number of beds, increasing patient acuity and dependency and high turnover meant nurses would be much busier.

IRELAND HAD ONE OF THE LOWEST NUMBER OF BEDS PER THOUSAND POPULATION AND ONE OF THE HIGHEST BED OCCUPANCY RATES IN THE OECD.

According to the OECD (2015) Ireland had 2.6 beds per thousand of the population, compared to 13.17 in Japan, 6.13 in France, 4.82 in Luxemburg and 4.35 in Finland.

The bed occupancy rate in Ireland was also very high. According to the OECD, we had a 94% bed occupancy rate, while the rate in Europe ranged from 68% in Slovenia to 84% in the United Kingdom, and 46% in the Netherlands.

Why should I answer the questions of someone who calls me names? I have been perfectly polite in response to your diversionary tactic, but met with incivility.

Because you have avoided the questions all along and then decided to bring Sinn Fein and Unity into the discussion. What would you call that? The mind boggles. The INMO represent hard working nurses and midwives throughout Ireland and I wont let you discredit them to save face for your beloved FG.

Give up so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Presumably because the Gardai and DPP know the legal difference between regulations and guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Phil Hogan and Dara Callerly must be spitting mad losing their jobs for nothing

Hogan lost his own job, had to deny,deny ,deny and left himself with no other way out.

When you look at Coveney and Varadkar, FF actually come out looking ethical 😋

I have an awful lot of respect for the INMO. They do an excellent job of promoting the interests of their members, an example to all unions of how to play the media and lobbying game. They never manage to come across as self-interested as say, the teacher unions, but keep the message simple while hiding the way they have looked after their members so well. A union to be copied.

However, that admiration and respect for them only adds to the scepticism with which I view their pronouncements on health policy. They don't have any interest in fixing the health system, they only have interest in looking after their members. They do a great job of that, and they should be proud of it, but they are the last place to go for an objective view on health policy.

"Pronouncements on health policy" ?!?..."they only have interest in looking after their members"

Where exactly are the Pronouncements on health policy? Did you even read it?

Here is the link again. With actual trolley numbers for each hospital. They have been releasing these numbers for 15 years and the November 2019 press release probably didn't even make the news. It contains actual numbers of people on trolleys in corridors or on chairs for the 11 months.

2019 breaks record for most patients on trolleys – and it’s not even December (inmo.ie)

“Winter has only just begun and the record is already broken. These statistics are the hallmark of a wildly bureaucratic health service, which is failing staff and patients alike.

We take no pleasure in having to record these figures for a decade and a half. We know the problem, but we also know the solutions: extra beds in hospitals, safe staffing levels, and more step-down and community care outside of the hospital.

“No other developed country faces anything close to this trolley problem. It can be solved, but a strong political agenda to drive change is needed.

“The INMO has written to the health and safety authorities this week to try force a change from the employers. Hospitals should be a place of safety and care – not danger.

They are literally begging and pleading for extra bed capacity. For their patients and for their working environment. How can you be so deluded?

Pronouncements on health policy...bloody hell. They just want more bed capacity.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

Eirgrid are building 9 new gas generators around the country. The Greens must be livid.... *cough*pensions*

I’m sure you know what you’re on about. Makes no sense to me.

Greens need to stay a wee while yet to get ministerial pensions so gas is bad but not bad enough to necessitate putting said pensions in jeopardy,

Ryan says we'll only use them if we need them :)

I see the company Kilshane Energy was only four months old when it got the contract. Nice.

• Advertisement

It must get crowded in the trough these days.

We need a new Vincent Brown to expose these new politics charlatans!

Coveney cannot do anything right these days. In late January the Women of Honour group walked out of a meeting with him.

He has continued to ignore their pleas for a statutory inquiry into their treatment in the defence forces. Now further allegations are coming out and they are very recent.

Women of Honour Group ‘deeply disillusioned’ as they walk out of meeting with Simon Coveney - Independent.ie

Parties call for statutory inquiry into DF allegations (rte.ie)

Alleged sexual assault of a female soldier by male officer investigated - Independent.ie

I see parallels in the way FF and FG have treated the mother and baby home survivors - they are only women, hopefully they will stop complaining soon.

They only like to do toothless investigations for optics.

How is this ignoring them?

“The Government has commissioned a judge-led review of various issues in the Defence Forces, although Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that a full Commission of Investigation has not been ruled out for the future.”

There is a process to go through to decide the best course of action.

By avoiding them maryanne. He is actively ignoring them. They've a history of ignoring women in distress. Likely they wanted some PR toothless 'lessons learned' and the women wouldn't have it.

Because it is a cop out.

Women of Honour 'more or less resigned' over review (rte.ie)

Following a meeting with Minister for Defence Simon Coveney last week, the Women of Honour group said they did not take any solace from the possibility of a Commission of Inquiry in the future as they believe it should be addressed now.

The group has consistently expressed concern with the draft terms of a review into allegations of sexism, bullying, sexual assault and rape within the Defence Forces.

They had argued that with the proposed review there would be no investigative process, no statutory basis and no true independence with the setting of the terms of reference and appointment of the review panel decided by the minister's department.

Ms Molloy described today's meeting as "unfortunately, quite disappointing".

She added: "This review is not fit for purpose. It is just not going to get to the root of the problem."

She said that the Government's position poses the question of how severe must such abuse be to warrant a statutory inquiry.

"It goes to severe sexual assault and, unfortunately, rape. With all of those incidents that happened we want to know how much more severe do the incidents have to be to get a public statutory inquiry?

"Is rape not high enough to get a public statutory inquiry?"

Women of Honour told 'no change' to structure of review during meeting with Taoiseach (thejournal.ie)

“We explained to the Taoiseach that another review, however well-intentioned by Government, would not get to the heart of the toxic culture in the Defence Forces.

“If the issues that we have raised are not considered serious enough to merit a full statutory inquiry it is hard to understand what is. We feel this review is throwing more good money after bad as previous reviews have been ineffective.

“We strongly disagree with the position of government to act quickly in trying to address the issues raised without taking the time to truly understand the extent and depth of the problems. This will result in nothing more than a painting over the cracks as opposed to lasting and meaningful change,” they added. 

Correct. But you will never get a FF/FG supporter to admit that. Abuse heaped upon abuse as Catherine Connolly called it.

I note SF are not seeking a statutory inquiry. I wonder why not?

No idea they weren't. So you are trying to change the subject now? Coveney is ignoring the women because they want an investigation with accountability.

• Advertisement

They want an investigation with a payout at the end. The number of these causes that have been jumped on by lawyers is crazy.

Advertisement