Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

we.must be only country in world effecrively covering up deaths,by no longer publishing daily deaths

It is worrying if you believe that.

I would suggest looking at the Economist's rather excellent work tracking excess deaths which gives a much better picture of what is actually going on

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Nobody knows their actual Covid rates because testing is not high enough anywhere. It doesn't really matter though - again Ireland has also had periods where it was in the bottom 3 of case rates in Europe. This is the nature of how the disease works. As to the Western world, I'm rather happy they are not welding people into their homes and forcing residents to resort to bartering among themselves to not starve as is currently going on in China.

I'm not interested in getting into a big argument over Covid anyway, there is a whole other forum for that. Ireland is not an outlier in Europe by any means, it is on the average to good side for overall metrics. This is a good thing to remember. Schooling is incredibly important for children (would have thought this was a commonly held belief) and covid is not a serious concern for children. There are other circulating respiratory illnesses such RSV which are much, much worse. The focus on schools as particular hotspots is bizarre and flies in the face of all studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

"Schooling is incredibly important for children (would have thought this was a commonly held belief)"

I think >99.9% of people agree with this

"Covid is not a serious concern for children."

2 things here:

1) we are causing huge numbers of unnecessary & avoidable infections in children. As thing stand we do not know if long Covid will be an issue for children. Even if serious illness and death rates are exceedingly low a small percentage of a large number is still problematic to me. I certainly don't want it happening to my children because we have an incompetent government more interested in arse covering than their safety

2) these infected children are most definitely causing further infections in the community, some of these infected people will be more vulnerable

You can never make any environment 100% safe but for what is relatively speaking a drop in the ocean compared to the countless billions the government has thrown at Covid can someone please tell me why the government is so reluctant to even try improve ventilation in schools? Before Xmas in the same week they announced a gimmick around electricity bills costing €200m they were trying to scaremonger over HEPA filters in every classroom costing €90m (and even that relatively low figure was rubbished by many)

There's already reports of school children being sent home today as classroom temperatures were too low

Like so much in this pandemic, all predicted by actual experts, all somewhat avoidable and all ignored by the hapless goons in government

"I'm not interested in getting into a big argument over Covid anyway"

On a government thread where posters are discussing the governments response to Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

So, your discussion technique is first to ask loaded questions like: ‘What exactly is your problem?’, then you make accusing statements like: ‘Sorry you had such a tough time with this.’.

In my opinion, these loaded questions and accusing statements are designed to shut down debate and discussion.

I think you are trying to make posters who do not agree with your opinion look bad, in the hope that you look good. I think that if you need to do this, and you are trying to do this, then your opinion and view point are flawed, because you can’t discuss them in an open and honest way.

And why are you answering questions directed at another poster, is there something more going on there that the mods might need to look into?

we are causing huge numbers of unnecessary & avoidable infections in children.

1) I simply can't agree on this point. I don't think they are avoidable. Delayable maybe. I don't want any child getting ill either, but RSV has been putting kids in hospital for years and there has never been a push to close schools because of it. Also we are not "causing" them, they are just happening - an absolutely shitload of kids will have gotten Covid over the Christmas holidays which has nothing to do with schooling for one.

2) Transmission in schools is less than the community. This would seem to suggest that while kids will undoubtedly be the source of further infection it will be less than other activities. It also suggests that unless kids are being locked up in their homes, then they will be at equal or greater risk anyway

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-schools-not-fuelling-virus-despite-omicron-concerns-data-shows-1.4768789

Here is a covid expert suggesting they open schools, which is what the "hapless goons" in government are doing.

On a government thread where posters are discussing the governments response to Covid?

I'm not that interested in getting into the specifics of covid no. What irritates me is discussions around the govt which pretend as if Ireland is an outlier when it isn't.

"Here is a covid expert suggesting they open schools, which is what the "hapless goons" in government are doing."

We all want schools open . I've heard very few people adopt a "close the schools" mantra (that includes some of the harshest critics of the government I've heard). But open in the safest way possible with best mitigation techniques possible (yet again - you can't eliminate transmission 100%). That was obvious from my post I'd have imagined and I've said the same on here before. I've previously linked (from August/September time) to immunologists, scientists etc calling for schools to open and stay open but with actual safeguards in place (mask wearing, air filtration systems, contact tracing, antigen testing etc).

Again why did the government refuse for so long to implement the kind of mitigation experts had called for and some other countries put in place a long time ago? Why is the effort now so half arsed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Government are aiming for herd immunity which won't work. They are also using school kids as guinea pigs. They should be at home until school class rooms are a safe environment. School class rooms are now below the minimum temperature the HSE recommends for the work place. The Government just don't want to admit we were wrong and we fucckked up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - If you want to talk about covid in greater detail can you please do so in the Covid forum, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

More positive news on the state of the economy. People out spending the covid savings.

RTE news : Annual retail sales rise by 16% in November

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0107/1272359-cso-retail-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

A lady tweeted about her nephew getting sick twice and having concerns about sending him back for a third dose. Her concern was dismissed out of hand with, "do you want schools to close till March?". The discussion was how concerns were valid and it wasn't so black and white.

It was a general discussion on closures.

It was said it was 100% preventable. You tried to be cute and ask about this cure for covid likely not knowing or ignoring the context of the discussion.

Its a discussion forum no need for a second Kristallnacht. If you don't want people responding maybe try PM?

• Advertisement

Fwiw luke o neil and pzier have developed the closest thing to a cure,a anti-viral drug,which will turn tide on it permently

Its to be made in cork too

Meanwhile a country with highest and among best educated populace in europe is expected to put up with goverence like this:

i mean this more than anything,whether its shinners or anyone else,we deserve so much better of a government,than this farce

She's a great example of how backward her party can be. I believe they have air conditioners with filters these days.

As regards McEntee being 'modern Ireland' because she's a working mother. We've had working mothers since getting stone age. How out of touch do you have to be to think its a novelty of modern Ireland. Working class mothers have been in the workplace for generations. Might be new to their clique.

I would be v.interested to see the correspondance between mike ryan of WHO,and norma foleys dept

She is (like rest of this government) notrious for flogging outright lies to the public,something deosnt add up on what she claiming here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What deos it matter,they lie and lie all the time and nothing ever changes anyway when caught

Not a huge change in the latest opinion polls but I found this interesting

FG the big loser IMO as the current setup is FG's only way back into government whereas (people may disagree) when the time comes I've no doubt FF will go in with SF. I listened to an interview with Jim O'Callaghan not so long ago where he mentioned this possibility. Obviously he's only one voice and is in no way even guaranteed to keep his seat let alone win a leadership contest

OK, I am starting to see a pattern of you insulting people, and asking loaded questions to avoid having to answer the questions asked. Now you are saying that I am trying to be cute, and that I should not post on a discussion forum.

Last I checked, insulting posters was against Boards.ie rules.

Anyway, let look into this discussion a bit more.

First part was introducing twitter into the discussion, not the best move (I think that twitter discussions should be held on twitter, and boards.ie discussions held on boards.ie, but it seems that others feel differently, and keep dragging twitter into discussions here), but it seems to me that it was done to promote an agenda - insult the current government. One thing that I would like to know from the poster who quoted this twitter, did they reply to this woman on twitter?

That was met with a question, which you say was: "do you want schools to close till March?', when in fact, it was a very reasonable question, and was: "So you are in favor of closing schools again for the foreseeable future?". Now, it seems that you intended to miss represent that posted, as you could have typed out the question that was asked, and not one that you think was asked. I would also like to know that answer to the question asked. If you want to criticise what someone is doing, you need to be able to provide an alternative - no alternative was provided, which meant that questions were going to be asked.

You then replied with a loaded question: "You want her nephew to die?". Where did anyone say or claim this? You wanted it to seem like the poster who had asked a legitimate question wanted someone to die. Now, I think that is very strange. But, It seems that that is how you discuss things.

Then the poster who posted up the tweet, posted: "Certainly not in favour of a performing a social experiment in letting kids get sick for sake of the 'economy'", which does not answer the question asked, but instead tries to like something, the economy, with children going back to school. Now, this I find very interesting, because they are trying to link two things together that don't go together, and it did not work out for them, unless you can tell me more about this 'social experiment', and how it is liked to 'the economy'.

That poster then went on to post: "With 2 lads in work hospitilized over xmas,this omicron isnt the walk in park people are burying head in sand pretending it is". Now, we don't know why these two people were in hospital, they could have been involved in a workplace accident for all I know, but somehow the poster is trying to link these two people (and we have no more information about these two people, o newspaper reports, noting) to the omicron variant of Covid-19. Next we are told that people are buying their heads in the sand - again, an unsubstantiated claim - are we just supposed to believe these claims, and not challenge them? It certainly seems to me that that is what you want.

Next that poster went on to post: "the government with its near zero migigation and intentions to simply ignore the science and slash isolation period is going to result in yet more deaths", now I am not really sure what the claim here is, and I am not bothered as it seems to be another unsubstantiated claim.

Then we have this: "fairly sick of people dying over something,that is 100% preventable", now I want to know what is 100% preventable, is it Covid-19? If it is, I want to know how it is 100% preventable.

I have not received an answer to my questions yet, instead I have been asked a lot of loaded questions that don't have anything to do with the discussion, and have been accused of being stupid and cute.

Then you came up with this: "Its a discussion forum no need for a second Kristallnacht. If you don't want people responding maybe try PM?", which is a contradiction. You are telling me that if I don't want people to respond that I should try PM, but you are the one who is not happy with people responding, and asking questions.

Now, I will repeat the two question, and if you or Blaaz would like to answer them, that would be nice. If you don't want to answer them, that is fine, and then I will know that the claim that was made is rubbish.

What is 100% preventable, and how is it 100% preventable?

You made a silly jokey comment and I called you out in it. Now you're having a rant about it.

I suggest you report anything you deem a personal slight.

Would love to know who on earth the 3% supporting a FG-SF coalition are.

I suspect the last few post-election coalition discussions will look like child's play compared to what's coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Luckily they threw Greens in there, as I don't think FFG can be a considered a coalition anymore.. 😜

Post edited by Suckit on

I'm confident the powers that be will take this covid time to reassess the way we do business.....jk.

Back to heads in the trough asap, those that had to come up for air anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The big unknown is how few seats FF will actually have, I guess 10-20 ,Grassroots will never forgive them for going in with FG and allowing Eamon Ryan near anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Didn't the FF grassroots as well as the FG grassroots approve the coalition with each party so they can't see how they cant forgive them when they approved it.

Just as well that we can go back and read the thread and see that it was actually Blaaz who posted unsubstantiated claims, and that it was myself and another poster who called them on it. You then decided to try and defend the indefensible, and failed miserably.

Now, I have had enough of you trying to shut down discussion on a discussion site, so, up the yard with you.

Yes. Getting covid in school is 100% preventable. You asked him did he have a cure for covid. Gas.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blanch152 threadban lifted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I can't wait for the next GE. I can't wait to not vote for the greens again. They're the biggest enemy for me.

Anything negative that affects me has their input all over it. Whether it's local or national issues.

I see in the news they've started on about methane a lot now...is that the new boogeyman? Remember it was diesel cars and then it was aerosols and then carbon.

Advertisement