Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of verrucas while running

• 14-04-2021 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭

I've had one for years on the midstrike area of my left foot and it seems to have had children immediately around it in the last year or so so those home treatment plasters with the hole in them probably are not suitable now :(.
    Anyhow its now becoming bothersome when running so I think its time to get it sorted, especially as there are no races on right now so if treatment puts a halt to training for a week or two its not a major deal.
    Most podiatrists in Dublin seem to offer freezing or acid treatment for it. I'm wondering if there are any pros or cons from either from a running perspective?
    Is it possible to keep running during the treatment which looks like it may take a few weeks?
    Any recommendations for one in Dublin (south county) or Bray?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Would you not be better sitting down first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I would advise getting them treated as soon as you can as they will only multiply and/or become you painful.

Freezing is the only way to go imho...you'd probably need a few days off running after it (obvs take the word of the chiropodist on this).

As you said, better to get it sorted now while there's no races on. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Carman, sounds like the way to go alight, should have dealt with last year, lesson learned.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just an update on this as perhaps others may have something similar and have been holding off.

I went to a podiatrist who said that these are not actually verruca's at all, they are corns and I had them on both feet.
    The podiatrist said these are fairly common on runners feet as the friction from running can cause them.

Removal was pretty much painless and quick (they are essentially dead skin) with a knife (i didn't look), but it was virtually painless.
    €55 euros for both feet and i don't need to take any time off running, why didn't i get them sorted a couple of years ago when they first came??!! In addition, my healthcare provider, Laya, covers 50% of the cost as well, winning.

The main reason I did now was there was no events on so I reckoned it was finally time to get sorted. I will go back in three months for a checkup and potential tune up before the Belfast marathon assuming vaccinations permit by then..

So if anyone has pains in the bottom of their feet and has been putting off getting sorted, it may be just corns and removal is cheap and quick, now is as good a time as any to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Supercell wrote: »
    I've had one for years on the midstrike area of my left foot and it seems to have had children immediately around it in the last year or so so those home treatment plasters with the hole in them probably are not suitable now :(.
    Anyhow its now becoming bothersome when running so I think its time to get it sorted, especially as there are no races on right now so if treatment puts a halt to training for a week or two its not a major deal.
    Most podiatrists in Dublin seem to offer freezing or acid treatment for it. I'm wondering if there are any pros or cons from either from a running perspective?
    Is it possible to keep running during the treatment which looks like it may take a few weeks?
    Any recommendations for one in Dublin (south county) or Bray?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

My little lad had them last year, we when to local GP, he froze them every 3 weeks. Was still able to do his sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Get it removed is my advice. You'll have to rest for about 2-3 days after treatment but good to go after that !

Advertisement