Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal

Options
  • 12-04-2021 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi folks can anyone tell me if the harbour in Enfield is accessable at the moment, also do I need permits etc for boating on the canal? I have a 14ft sea nymph and only going for a few hours with the kids etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Should be open now, might be worth ringing the local council. No permit needed. :)

337453_3174849468503_27434817_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=SXvFcu3eEhoAX8cSJb4&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f929cf03d62ac31372cc32d1e48ec0f3&oe=6099DA35

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Don't wish to start an argument but I was of the understanding that all boats on the canals required a permit, unless they're small and unpowered (dingy/ rowboat)

From the WI guidance on permits:
    SECTION 3 – CHOOSING THE PERMIT(S) YOU REQUIRE

Combined Mooring & Passage Permit (CMP)

Any boat owner wishing to use the canals needs to purchase an annual Combined
    Mooring & Passage Permit (CMP). This allows you to use your boat on the canals
    and moor for up to 5 days in any one location.

All CMPs commence on the 1st November and cost €126 per year.
    If you make short or infrequent visits to the canals and do not stay for more than
    5 days in a single location or remove your boat from the navigation after each use an annual CMP permit is all you will require.

<snip>
    Canoes, kayaks and small unpowered craft which are removed from the navigation
    after each use are not required to hold a CMP

You can also apply for a free visitors permit allowing you to use the canal for 30 days in one calendar year.

I know that hardly anyone does this, but.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Don't wish to start an argument but I was of the understanding that all boats on the canals required a permit, unless they're small and unpowered (dingy/ rowboat)

From the WI guidance on permits:
    SECTION 3 – CHOOSING THE PERMIT(S) YOU REQUIRE

Combined Mooring & Passage Permit (CMP)

Any boat owner wishing to use the canals needs to purchase an annual Combined
    Mooring & Passage Permit (CMP). This allows you to use your boat on the canals
    and moor for up to 5 days in any one location.

All CMPs commence on the 1st November and cost €126 per year.
    If you make short or infrequent visits to the canals and do not stay for more than
    5 days in a single location or remove your boat from the navigation after each use an annual CMP permit is all you will require.

<snip>
    Canoes, kayaks and small unpowered craft which are removed from the navigation
    after each use are not required to hold a CMP

You can also apply for a free visitors permit allowing you to use the canal for 30 days in one calendar year.

I know that hardly anyone does this, but.....

I stand corrected :o;)

Advertisement