Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete for shed foundations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is a plastic sheet necessary for a slab that’ll be outdoors?

Generally good practice for damp and protection of the concrete. I laid plastic down for my driveway. A little ott but I sleep soundly...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The least amount of effort for a shed has to be a deeper meshed slab and minimal ground prep, i.e. remove topsoil, shutter, mesh and pour.

Digging out subsoil is a right pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

What N needed for this (where no cars etc on it, just a few people) someone said 30 N to me but from what I can see it wouldn’t need that strength ???

30n would be a minimum strength, adding water to this mix to make it more workable will significantly weaken the mix leaving you with a lower N mix. the type of ground will dictate the dept of foundation, but most will be in the region of 9"-10",a lot of Quarries will have a minimum charge equating to 4 m3, plus a charge for every extra hour the truck is there. In certain circumstances it may be much cheaper to get a crew working local to do the job as they can get an extra m3 or two for a fraction of the cost available to Joe soap. Another option is to collect a dry mix from the quarry yourself, but the shut filling will be high, so two sheets of ply or similar to funnel the mix is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Can you buy a ton bag of concrete anywhere. Ready mixed. ?
    Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lumen wrote: »
    The least amount of effort for a shed has to be a deeper meshed slab and minimal ground prep, i.e. remove topsoil, shutter, mesh and pour.

And the arms and back :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Lumen wrote: »

Yep. Effort vs cost and of course the ground conditions. If it's well compacted ground then lashing down 150mm with a 10mm mesh would be pretty bomb proof for a small area like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

tmabr wrote: »
    Can you buy a ton bag of concrete anywhere. Ready mixed. ?
    Ty

You can bring a tonne bag to the quarry, but can't leave it, it goes off even when dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

DamoNolan wrote: »
    Can I ask who you got the ready-mixed off?

Kilsaran
    Was it 30n10 ?

Included VAT?

I didnt order it so not 100% sure on the concrete type, I will find ask. I would say it did include VAT.

Advertisement