Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A hostile relative now working at GP practice I attend

• 11-04-2021 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I’ve just learned that a deeply nosy and nasty relative that I don’t speak to, is now working at my GP practice. It’s horrifying to think that this person has access to my deeply personal medical records. What should I do.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod: I think this would be better suited to the Personal Issues Forum, moving there for the local mods to review and reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How do you know that this person would have access to your records?
    I realise you don't like or trust this person but confidentiality is a major part of working in a doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Is there any reason you think they would be interested???

I can’t see why unless there is something you are not sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

YellowLead wrote: »
    Is there any reason you think they would be interested???

I can’t see why unless there is something you are not sharing.

I think a nosy relative would love nothing better than to take a look. I don't know what you can do really. I wouldn't like someone I dislike to look at my records, even though there is nothing of interest in there. The bigger question is, who in a medical practice has access to the records?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Change GP and ask for your records to be transferred and deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Change GP and ask for your records to be transferred and deleted.

That will definitely draw attention to the ops files because I assume its the admin person who'd have to prepare them for transfer ti new surgery.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would imagine that the only option would be to get a new GP. Do you know the role the relative will have? Would they have access to the files? I know in my GP practice the receptionists would have access to my prescriptions and would understand the reason for some visits (blood tests, ante natal, vaccinations etc.) so I imagine that would be typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

That will definitely draw attention to the ops files because I assume its the admin person who'd have to prepare them for transfer ti new surgery.

In this case I would ask the specific GP to ensure the files are kept away from the person in question due to concerns about confidentiality.

In this case I would ask the specific GP to ensure the files are kept away from the person in question due to concerns about confidentiality.

Rightly so by banging on about data privacy law. The OP might be over reacting and the relative is spot on but if there is a genuine risk of compromising information being leaked then the employer needs to be informed in written form and the concerns clearly stated

That's assuming the relative hasn't already had a good look at the records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Does the relative know u are a patient there?

I was in a similar position before, I knew the receptionist and she knew me. For sure she looked at my records as I had an appointment at the time. All mental health related. If it were anything else I wouldn't care, but with mental health I definitely would feel judged.

I did mention it to the doctor, only she flobbed me off by saying she wouldn't be looking at them.

Just to clarify, receptionists do have access to patients files. It's part of their job putting records, letters, prescriptions together.

I obviously don't know what would be in your medical records, but if there isn't much don't stress over it. It's obviously really annoying but not much can be done.

One idea you could do, is write a letter to your doctor with "FAO Dr. Healy" On it. Explain the situation and maybe ask to change your name to an Irish spelling in the system? She wouldn't think to look u up like that. And if u do get in contact with the doctors again u simply spell out your name.

It's not that simple. Records are all on a computer software ware system, that receptionists work off of. They have full access due to their duties.

This is very true.

Unless op writes a letter directly to the GP, asking them to "silently" transfer , without the relatives knowledge, the OPs records to the new one. All depends on the GP weather they will understand or not give a damn. I'm sure it can be done, and has been done before.

LilacNails wrote: »
    This is very true.

Unless op writes a letter directly to the GP, asking them to "silently" transfer , without the relatives knowledge, the OPs records to the new one. All depends on the GP weather they will understand or not give a damn. I'm sure it can be done, and has been done before.

Unless everyone involved is highly unprofessional you can bet that the GP will realise what’s at stake if information gets leaked after they have been formally informed about concerns.

Unless everyone involved is highly unprofessional you can bet that the GP will realise what’s at stake if information gets leaked after they have been formally informed about concerns.

That is assuming the relative hasn't had a good nose in the filing cabinet and the computer system already. Naturally, everyone is going to deny all knowledge. Switch GPs is the only option here. You'll never want to deal the place again if this person is behind the reception desk or answering the phone.

But what's to formally be informed?
    We don't know if the new secretary has form with leaking information professionally or if it's just gossip outside of their professional life.

Nobody can guarantee that the relative didn’t have a nose around yet and that’s not even the point. It doesn’t harm to remind what’s at stake here if they can’t be professional. The threat of not getting a work reference or a bad reputation is enough for lots of people

Unless the relative is stupid, they're going to keep shtum about anything they see in the OP's records. Sorry OP, this horse has bolted. Just move to another GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Apparently she starts work there tomorrow. My family learned of it today. We all attend this GP. We were horrified. There is mental health information etc (as we had a bereavement). There’s highly sensitive information that is deeply personal. We haven’t spoken to this person in 15 years. And yes she’s very nasty. It’s mortifying to think she can (as a receptionist) and will go through our records. I’m changing doctor immediately but it’ll take weeks.

A phone call to the GP first thing in the morning is the way to go here, I think. If tomorrow is her first day, she'll likely have somebody training her in and showing her the ropes for the first while. It might stop her getting a look at the records for a short while. Sorry this has happened to you, by the way.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    A phone call to the GP first thing in the morning is the way to go here, I think. If tomorrow is her first day, she'll likely have somebody training her in and showing her the ropes for the first while. It might stop her getting a look at the records for a short while. Sorry this has happened to you, by the way.

Thank you. She worked at another medical facility for years. Needless to say we avoided it like the plague. This came out of the blue. I’m going to call the GP tomorrow and tell him to seal our records immediately as someone we’ve had terrible trouble with before now has access to our most private information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

vladmydad wrote: »
    Thank you. She worked at another medical facility for years. Needless to say we avoided it like the plague. This came out of the blue. I’m going to call the GP tomorrow and tell him to seal our records immediately as someone we’ve had terrible trouble with before now has access to our most private information.

I recall you used be able put passwords on basic word files to protect them -perhaps the GP’s system has a way to restrict access to files by having a second layer of passwords to open/protect certain files? Worth asking the GP. I’d also get each family member to ring & flag their concerns and get assurances.

I recall you used be able put passwords on basic word files to protect them -perhaps the GP’s system has a way to restrict access to files by having a second layer of passwords to open/protect certain files? Worth asking the GP. I’d also get each family member to ring & flag their concerns and get assurances.

Yes and the GP’s at the practice have computers in their individual offices. Mine regularly gets up my file on it and prints out prescriptions from it. So surly he can do something to restrict access.

Imagine the nosy person in your area, whom your family has had legal issues with years ago, suddenly has your entire family’s medical history at the tips of her fingers, that’s the situation we’ve found ourselves in.

Don't forget there may also be physical files in that practice. This isn't going to be solved by password protecting Microsoft Word documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is assuming the relative hasn't had a good nose in the filing cabinet and the computer system already. Naturally, everyone is going to deny all knowledge. Switch GPs is the only option here. You'll never want to deal the place again if this person is behind the reception desk or answering the phone.

Perfect.

OP; the present may be too late to save but you can safeguard the future asap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Agreed.
    Make it known as quickly as possible to the GP practice.
    If it's a busy practice, and also a training period involved, she hopefully will not have time or opportunity to start looking through files.

It would be very hard on you and others to have to change from a GP you have been with, and are used to. Also, I'm not sure if information is deleted when one moves from a practice, so the files might still be held and accessible. That's something you could ask, when you contact them.
    Depending on what part of the country you are in, it can also be difficult to find a new GP.

I hope it can be sorted, ASAP.
    I would hate this, so I do understand how you must feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I would switch GP then ask the New GP to personally contact the Old GP and let them explain and arrange the transfer of the records and deletion or sealing of the records. Under GDPR you might be able to get them deleted.

Try not to cause trouble for your relative that would only add fuel to the fire, it's been 15 years so maybe they have cooled down or have regrets too. Simply explain that there was a family falling out and you are not comfortable that they might have access to your records or dealing with them to book appointments.

Its very hard to find a new gp easily.
    And I think files are transferred from old gp to new, I've never heard of them been deleted entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Be careful of any comments made about the receptionist, you may be correct but it could be seen as libel.

Not sure the GP will be happy with your opinion of his new employee!

I really sympathise with your situation and would leave the practice ASAP. But don't dig a hole for yourself.

Very distressing for you, especially after a berevement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Do you even have to explain why you need to change GP? I wouldn't bother. Get into the new GP first. Then -Simply call and explain that you would like your files and personal information transferred to the new GP as soon as possible. Tell your family members to do the same. GP would probably need the request in writing too. Either e-mail or hand-deliver a note for the same.

Advertisement