Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good areas in Ireland for an investment property

Options
  • 10-04-2021 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all.
    After years of saving hard I will be looking to buy an investment property at around the 150k to 170k mark max early next year as a cash buyer; i dont want any mortgage debt on the property. Ideally a 1 or 2 bed apartment/duplex with minimal maintenance. And happy to consider renting to government on long term rental scheme.

This is my first time doing such a venture and i want to see if anyone has any experience in this and generally what part of the country they would consider a relatively safe bet (in terms of protecting the capital, a decent rental return €1,100 to €1,200 pm and bouyant rental market).

Within my price range I see plenty of properties in the following areas that I would like investment opinion on;

Drogheda

Balbriggan-this one seems v topical?v cheap for a reason?

Ballyfermot-i understand has one the best returns in the country?

Clondalkin

Citywest

Finglas

Tallaght

Limerick

Waterford

Maybe there are other areas I am missing that could be relatively decent value that people have knowledge on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Waterford should be a good place with major investment currently occuring, it's perfectly setup for rent seeking activities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

One area I'm looking at is Cahir in Tipperary. (I have one property there and keeping an eye out for another)

Strong employment, properties reasonably priced and good tenants at €900-€1000 per month.

It's also is a great town to live in with many amenities and doesn't seem to have an anti-social element

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brenno1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Waterford should be a good place with major investment currently occuring, it's perfectly setup for rent seeking activities

Thanks Wanderer, i have heard a few people mention Waterford alright. Would you have anymore insight into the type of investment currently occuring there?

Darc19 wrote: »
    One area I'm looking at is Cahir in Tipperary. (I have one property there and keeping an eye out for another)

Strong employment, properties reasonably priced and good tenants at €900-€1000 per month.

It's also is a great town to live in with many amenities and doesn't seem to have an anti-social element

Thanks Darc. Interesting indeed. Will have to investigate that one a bit further.

brenno1 wrote: »
    Thanks Wanderer, i have heard a few people mention Waterford alright. Would you have anymore insight into the type of investment currently occuring there?

these developments are coming on stream in waterford, theres some serious investment involved, i suspect property and land speculation, and demand for so, is increasing significantly, property prices have already risen by 12% in the last year, i expect this to continue, largely due to these investments

https://waterfordnorthquays.ie/

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/07/28/michael-street-reimagined/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ballyfermot is good, your target audience will be a single mum (or couple) with 2-3 kids. So they can get 1300 from hap and they can usually top this up by about 200. So you are looking at 1300-1500 per month. No fear of them losing their job or not paying you.
    They generally do stay for a good few years. If you are looking at the ex council houses. Chances are you may need to replace windows and heating system. Other tye. That they are good.
    You can turn the house around between rentals very fast.

It’s a bit of a mad area. Try to rent to someone from the area, non locals don’t settle aswell

ted1 wrote: »
    Ballyfermot is good, your target audience will be a single mum (or couple) with 2-3 kids. So they can get 1300 from hap and they can usually top this up by about 200. So you are looking at 1300-1500 per month. No fear of them losing their job or not paying you.
    They generally do stay for a good few years. If you are looking at the ex council houses. Chances are you may need to replace windows and heating system. Other tye. That they are good.

you d hardly be prejudice, would you!

you d hardly be prejudice, would you!

How’s that ?
    I’m just giving my experience.. can’t comment on the other places

these developments are coming on stream in waterford, theres some serious investment involved, i suspect property and land speculation, and demand for so, is increasing significantly, property prices have already risen by 12% in the last year, i expect this to continue, largely due to these investments

https://waterfordnorthquays.ie/

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/07/28/michael-street-reimagined/

Waterford suffers from high unemployment, the Max HAP in Waterford is €600. So you have little protection.

Waterford suffers from high unemployment, the Max HAP in Waterford is €600. So you have little protection.

Thank you both for your insights. Ballyfermot and Waterford seem to be good for investment from other sources Ive spoken to as well. They seem to top the list at the areas within my budget.

Ted, interesting point about the older council houses. My fear is they could be a money pit but I woupd imagine they are built v well compated to the newer apartments.

• Advertisement

How’s that ?
    I’m just giving my experience.. can’t comment on the other places

apologies, a hasty response, but the truth is, everyone is getting hammered under our current housing situation, including property owners, its a right mess

yea i ll agree with this, its becoming a very serious problem, with rising property prices, and low wage inflation, this is becoming a serious problem for everyone, again, including property owners

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Hi all.
    After years of saving hard I will be looking to buy an investment property at around the 150k to 170k mark max early next year as a cash buyer; i dont want any mortgage debt on the property. Ideally a 1 or 2 bed apartment/duplex with minimal maintenance. And happy to consider renting to government on long term rental scheme.

This is my first time doing such a venture and i want to see if anyone has any experience in this and generally what part of the country they would consider a relatively safe bet (in terms of protecting the capital, a decent rental return €1,100 to €1,200 pm and bouyant rental market).

Within my price range I see plenty of properties in the following areas that I would like investment opinion on;

Drogheda

Clondalkin

Citywest

Finglas

Tallaght

Limerick

Waterford

Maybe there are other areas I am missing that could be relatively decent value that people have knowledge on?

7 of the 9 areas mentioned in that list stand out to me for anti social activity and not as up and coming areas in which I’d invest my hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

7 of the 9 areas mentioned in that list stand out to me for anti social activity and not as up and coming areas in which I’d invest my hard earned money.

Small areas in some of them have problems, the remaining areas are full of normal people. You'll quickly spot which areas to avoid once you visit them.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Small areas in some of them have problems, the remaining areas are full of normal people. You'll quickly spot which areas to avoid once you visit them.

im deeply offended by this statement, im far from normal! :D

They don’t need to be up and coming to make a good return

They don’t need to be up and coming to make a good return

Agreed ted. A neighbour of mine invested his pension in a house near crumlin and has done well out of his investment over the years. By his own admission it isnt the best of areas in terms of antisocial behaviour but he was lucky and has had great tenants that look after the house v well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hi all.

Drogheda

Clondalkin

Citywest

Finglas

Tallaght

Limerick

Waterford

Limerick is still a good bet

athlone , the roscommon side ( Monksland specifically ) is not subject to RPZ , plenty of well paid jobs and strategically a good location on the map

Tuam , galway city is so absurdly expensive , a decent sized town like Tuam has to benefit and its still considerably cheaper than other other towns with motorway access , not a good wage town itself but no town in galway is , the city is the economy

Waterford , still cheap and you have enough of a population to sustain a reasonable economy , relatively wealthy hinterland around the city in every direction , kilkenny and waterford are home to a lot of strong farming communities , this all helps in terms of spending in the city

portlaoise , good location strategically and growing in size , not as good as Athlone but certainly the second best in the midlands

one of my cousins is a modest sized builder in dublin and drogheda this past twenty years , he is based in Clonee at the moment and reckons there is still value there relative to the rest of dublin , transport options are horrendous obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

I reckon Arklow is worth a punt,....there’s a huge shortage of housing due to the lack of sewerage infrastructure but there’s a lot of inward investment Coming down the tracks,data centre,SSE port hub,possible Dublin port relocation.....good rental yields currently and commutable to Dublin on m11 network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Roughly what sort of yield are people expecting

(Gross annual rent / Purchase price ) x 100

• Advertisement

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Roughly what sort of yield are people expecting

(Gross annual rent / Purchase price ) x 100

Hoping to get at least 8 - 9 %

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hoping to get at least 8 - 9 %

you will be looking at fairly modest areas wherever you buy so

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you will be looking at fairly modest areas wherever you buy so
    Also factor in that your mortgage is being chipped away at. Must small times landlords treat property as a pension.
    At the end you can either sell and take a lump sum or keep renting and use the rent to live off , your mortgage will be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Also factor in that your mortgage is being chipped away at. Must small times landlords treat property as a pension.
    At the end you can either sell and take a lump sum or keep renting and use the rent to live off , your mortgage will be paid.

A lot of small landlords buy property within their pension. This gives tax free rental income and tax free profit on any subsequent sale.

However only specific pensions (company director ssap pensions are one type) can purchase property and there are strict regulations that apply.

And with stock markets at all time highs, quite a few are moving into property and cashing out of the markets.

Problem is there simply is not much choice out there at present and anything decent is selling above what would be considered value

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OP specified cash buyer, no mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

IMO - nowhere.
    Invest abroad. The way property investors are treated in Ireland will just end up choking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The best property investment is in REIT shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Limerick is still a good bet

athlone , the roscommon side ( Monksland specifically ) is not subject to RPZ , plenty of well paid jobs and strategically a good location on the map

y

Monksland is in Roscommon. It is not subject to an RPZ for a reason. The houses are badly built for the most part and are miles from Athlone or Roscommon town.

Monksland is in Roscommon. It is not subject to an RPZ for a reason. The houses are badly built for the most part and are miles from Athlone or Roscommon town.

Are they not adjacent to an industrial estate. ? I vaguely recall visiting clients there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Balbriggan has a brilliant rental market but some of the houses had pyrite issues eg Moylaragh.

Just beware the tax burden.

Advertisement