Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame - retrofit insulation

Options
  • 08-04-2021 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of pumping the cavity in an existing timber frame house? As outlined in the animation on this link:

http://www.retrofoamuk.com/timber-frame-wall-insulation.php

I know that pumping the external cavity is a big no for timber frame structures. But am interested in this alternative, if anyone has any knowledge of it.

The external insulation/wrapping option is not a runner due to the cost. The house is a 15 yr old bungalow.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Also, if anyone knows an Irish company doing this, could they post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Biker1

KaneToad wrote: »
    Also, if anyone knows an Irish company doing this, could they post a link?

Hard to see how beneficial this would be. Basically compressing the existing insulation with foam !!!!. Also no certification provided, only statement saying currently being tested.

Biker1 wrote: »
    Hard to see how beneficial this would be. Basically compressing the existing insulation with foam !!!!. Also no certification provided, only statement saying currently being tested.

I suppose it depends on the quality/quantity of the existing insulation.

Lack of certification would be an issue, certainly. I'm a bit sceptical of it but was keen to hear from someone (if they exist) who had this done in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I can only see it being useful if the existing insulation is absent or pure rubbish.

At any rate - if there's no Agrement Cert then I wouldn't entertain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

At least if you pi$$ into the wind you get a verifiable result.
    The result here could be anything:
    un-sleeved wall vents come to mind.
    un-sleeved power cables getting embedded in gung
    if you have a service cavity.....

not for me

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Not a popular practice, by the looks of it!
    I guess this means the likelihood of finding anyone who actually got it done is low.

Oh well, back to the drawing board..

Advertisement