Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Extended warranty for Tesla - worth it or not?

  • 08-04-2021 1:13pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭ Sam W


    Tesla has an extended warranty which covers an extra 2 years with 40k km or 4 years with 80k km on top of the normal warranty.

    The price is around 1,300 euro for 2 years, and 2,600 euro for 4 years.

    Has anyone purchased this before? Is it worth it or not?

    There are also other third-party warranty products which are much cheaper than Tesla's. Anyone used them before?


Comments

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    Never knew they done it.
    For comparison, bmw wanted €900 odd for a 520d a few years back so it’s not too much more.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    Sam W wrote: »
    Tesla has an extended warranty which covers an extra 2 years with 40k km or 4 years with 80k km on top of the normal warranty.

    The price is around 1,300 euro for 2 years, and 2,600 euro for 4 years.

    Has anyone purchased this before? Is it worth it or not?

    There are also other third-party warranty products which are much cheaper than Tesla's. Anyone used them before?

    Where have you seen this, this was offered in the past but as far as I'm aware has ceased by Tesla and others a year or so ago.
    Would be good investment if intending to sell on in the future


  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭ Sam W


    slave1 wrote: »
    Where have you seen this, this was offered in the past but as far as I'm aware has ceased by Tesla and others a year or so ago.
    Would be good investment if intending to sell on in the future

    https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/extended-warranty?redirect=no

    It would direct you to the following link:
    https://sales.inzmo.com/en/tesla/ie

    I guess the only advantage is that you do not need to pay anything in case of a warranty claim. You can just book your services as usual in the app and mention it to Tesla that you have this extended warranty. For third-party companies, you would have to pay everything upfront, and then sending a hell lot of documentation to the third-party and risking not getting paid for any kind of loophole...


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭ ted1


    Excludes battery and motor.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    ted1 wrote: »
    Excludes battery and motor.

    Because already covered directly by Tesla


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭ Orebro


    Sam W wrote: »
    https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/extended-warranty?redirect=no

    It would direct you to the following link:
    https://sales.inzmo.com/en/tesla/ie

    I guess the only advantage is that you do not need to pay anything in case of a warranty claim. You can just book your services as usual in the app and mention it to Tesla that you have this extended warranty. For third-party companies, you would have to pay everything upfront, and then sending a hell lot of documentation to the third-party and risking not getting paid for any kind of loophole...

    So it's not really a Tesla extended warranty, it's an insurance policy provided by a third party.


  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭ Sam W


    Orebro wrote: »
    So it's not really a Tesla extended warranty, it's an insurance policy provided by a third party.

    Well, all of these extended warranties, GAP insurances and such are provided by third parties. The difference is that this one is Tesla's official partner, so you would just be able to book your services with Tesla whenever you want, without having to think how much money you need to pay out first.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭ Orebro


    Sam W wrote: »
    Well, all of these extended warranties, GAP insurances and such are provided by third parties. The difference is that this one is Tesla's official partner, so you would just be able to book your services with Tesla whenever you want, without having to think how much money you need to pay out first.

    Ah ok, didn't know how extended warranties worked tbh - always thought when done via the brand then it was the manufacturer extending it rather than it being an insurance product, makes sense!


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭ ted1


    slave1 wrote: »
    Because already covered directly by Tesla

    And would you not expect an “extended warranty” to extend your duration of the period they are covered for ?

    The MCU etc are also covered directly by Tesla


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Let's be blunt here. Older Teslas have poor build quality compared to other cars that were €100k new. A lot of problems have been sorted on these older cars by now and plenty of owners are still under full warranty from Tesla. My own car is 7 years old, has done almost 150k km and I still have nearly a full year of bumper to bumper warranty left. If I hadn't, I'd consider paying €1300 per year to be covered

    That said, the most common problems are MCU, which is now fixed for free by Tesla even for cars out of warranty and the door handles, which Tesla now fixes with free labour, but you pay for the part (about €300) so not so sure if that money is worth it

    The newer Teslas are far better built and quality is improving continuously

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
Advertisement