Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal from a solicitor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

baalad wrote: »
    Honestly. Yes i smoked cannabis earlier that day. And yes of course i avoided the checkpoint. I knew i would be in trouble. Its easy criticise me now and give me grief but at the time i had to make decision and that was the decision i made. Was i also pulling in to make a call? YES!

Iam not trying to come on here saying feel sorry for me, iam innocent. But i was NOT driving erratic. I did NOT have slurred speech and i was certainly not incapable of driving.

Its the lies in his statement that i cannot accept. When i say what proof does he have ? what did he observe etc Iam speaking from the perspective that by law he has to have had reasoning etc The same way my solicitor knows iam guilty but we can still have a defence. Some people here do not like that. I have no choice but to defend myself simply because the statement provided is not true.

Having this hang over me for over a year and a half has been far worse then any punishment i will receive.

We are all human and we all make mistakes in life. I will likely pay for the mistake i made so to those of you getting on my back. Go easy. We are all fighting battles you know nothing about

Not driving erratic and no slurred speech wouldn't be a defence for a guy just over the drink driving limit so I'd imagine it's the same with driving under the influence of drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Speak Now wrote: »
    Not driving erratic and no slurred speech wouldn't be a defence for a guy just over the drink driving limit so I'd imagine it's the same with driving under the influence of drugs?

I think he's more pissed that the Garda is alleging that he had slurred speech etc when this was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I think he's more pissed that the Garda is alleging that he had slurred speech etc when this was not the case.

I'm think I'm like a toastmaster after a few pints, my designated driver tells me otherwise lol.

Speak Now wrote: »
    I'm think I'm like a toastmaster after a few pints, my designated driver tells me otherwise lol.

I getcha. But let the man keep a shred of dignity...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Ok fine, but the other posters here have remarked several inconsistencies and a tendency to confabulate. Do you have a history of anxiety disorder? If so, you may want to make your solicitor aware of it.

He knows. I specifically asked if i should request anything from my doctor but was told it was irrelevant.

Its as simple as i messed up or the guard messed up basically is how it was put to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Yes that is possible but my solicitor thinks that the fact he made me take it at the station indicates he may have forgot to do it roadside or he may have doubted if the arrest was justified. Because apparently its a strange move on the guards part. This is coming from my solicitor not me!

Yes he arrested me on suspicion of driving under the influence but there is no evidence that my speech was slurred, no evidence that my car smelled of cannabis and no evidence my pupils were dilated....... because they were not. This is why my solicitor thinks he made sure i done a drug drager test at the station. Because only that would justify the arrest/stand as evidence!

There is a few pages into this forum so this might be said already but when you were taken to the garda station did they take a blood sample.from you? Also not sure why people keep referencing barristers when you can't hire a barrister and in the district court a solicitor is better for.you as barristers just take instructions from solicitors so they aren't going to be any better. Barristers are for circuit courts and above,a barrister working in the district court is working there to gain experience or because a solicitor can't make.it to court, it wouldn't be worth it for you to pay a solicitor and a barrister (you can't choice one or the other you would be paying for both unless you get assigned legal aid).

If a blood sample was taken then you should have received a sample yourself to test independently. If you think you weren't over the limit you should have this tested. If a blood sample wasn't taken from you then you should probably get a new solicitor to fight the case on this basis. Also you must absolutely be present in court for a hearing date, a hearing could proceed in your absence but this would not be good for you if they are in fact making things up and your solicitor is in fact working with the garda to make sure the gardas case is resolved in his favour (which is literally the opposite of his job so none of this makes any sense really)

Yeah they do that kind of thing quite a lot. It's one reason I try and avoid them, even though I haven't committed an offence more serious than j-walking.

I've seen them provoking people on nights out and arresting them, but the worst was one of my mates was stopped three days after coming back from Amsterdam and was above the limit for THC. He was a medical intern on his way to Beaumont hospital at 5am in the morning. He was completely clear headed and sober but the boarding pass on the passenger side of the car caught the Garda's eye. Not only did he lose his driving licence but faced a fitness to practice hearing. We lost him to suicide in 2019.

The Garda was chancing his arm with my mate. But the words "strong smell of marijuana" and "slurred speech" drove him to an early grave.

Blaming a member of an garda siochana for the suicide of your friend is at the very least unfair. If your friend smoked so much weed while on a holiday that he was still over the limit three days later he had no business being in a hospital treating patients. The fact that he was "clear headed and sober" is a subjective statement that you have no facts to back up,only his word. This is why we have these laws, anyone could say they are clear headed and sober. Your friend might have told you that story but it doesn't sound factually correct. Your friend took his life because he had something going on mentally that you may never understand, but to blame another human being for that is despicable. I am sorry for your loss,I have suffered loss through suicide and it brings endless suffering, trying to find out "why". But your friend did not commit suicide because of that Garda and it is shameful that you would place that burden on another human being. We are all responsible for our own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Sorry OP but I've no legal expertise but this thread was a great read, I'm sorry but you turned away from a checkpoint, had cannabis earlier that day and is the reason you are here.

More importantly you spilled all the beans to a bunch of random strangers under the slightest bit of pressure, I can only imagine what you told the gard on facebook that's landed you a new charge.

Sounds to me like the question you need answered is pick holes in this arrest and see can you get me off cause my solicitor won't. I think the issue might be he's already written it off for you.

awsah wrote: »
    Blaming a member of an garda siochana for the suicide of your friend is at the very least unfair. If your friend smoked so much weed while on a holiday that he was still over the limit three days later he had no business being in a hospital treating patients. The fact that he was "clear headed and sober" is a subjective statement that you have no facts to back up,only his word. This is why we have these laws, anyone could say they are clear headed and sober. Your friend might have told you that story but it doesn't sound factually correct. Your friend took his life because he had something going on mentally that you may never understand, but to blame another human being for that is despicable. I am sorry for your loss,I have suffered loss through suicide and it brings endless suffering, trying to find out "why". But your friend did not commit suicide because of that Garda and it is shameful that you would place that burden on another human being. We are all responsible for our own actions.

My friend took his life because he believed his life was over once he could no longer practice as a doctor. He blamed himself because he knew that THC could stay in his bloodstream for up to a month after consuming it. He was usually the designated driver on nights out because he hated being impaired. He was extremely careful, took his responsibilities and his studies seriously and that was what undid him.

He let himself go at a stag party in Amsterdam. I met him the day after he came back and he seemed in good spirits, but definitely not high. More than 72 hours after he arrived home THC was found in his blood. He wasn't high at that time either. He never drank the day before going on call, his mum would never have allowed weed in the house and smoking it was totally out of character.

No the reason he was tested was the boarding pass he had left on the passenger side seat of his car. The Garda asked him about that and this triggered a series of events that ended my best friend's life.

Losing his driver's licence was one thing, but losing his right to practice medicine was what really kicked him. He couldn't understand how his colleagues polydrugged all the time, but he made one mistake and got caught. There was also no need for the Garda to publicly allege that my friend was high and that he could smell marijuana off of him.

I appreciate that the Gardaí have a job to do, but my advice to people generally is to stay away from them as much as possible because. This may seem harsh or ungrateful but if they are looking to tie you to a crime, keep your lips closed.

He knows. I specifically asked if i should request anything from my doctor but was told it was irrelevant.

Its as simple as i messed up or the guard messed up basically is how it was put to me.

Ok this makes a lot more sense now. Your nerves are wound tight and this is why your story has changed several times here. I am guessing that your nerves are what caused you to blab to the Garda?

My fear is that because of a medical condition which is 100% not your fault you are rather easy to take advantage of and less than capable of acting in your own self interest. In the days to come you need to keep a clear head. Ask your GP if there is anything you can be prescribed for this.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Hi guys. Just wondering if i should be concerned or not.

Without giving away too many details i basically approached a solicitor before Christmas to represent me in a court case i had coming up in January. I met him for around 5-10 minutes and gave him a brief description of what had happened etc He explained to me that i had nothing to lose by requesting evidence before deciding how to plea so i told him to go ahead and do that. He told me my appearance was therefore not necessary in court on that day.

However, This is where things get very fishy from my perspective. On the day of my case he rang me asking where i was and he said "the guard prosecuting you said your supposed to be here" to which i was so confused that i have cannot actually remember my reply but i should have said "what the hell are you talking about, you specifically told me i did not have to attend because you were just requesting evidence"

I remember him describing things as "chaotic" and then saying "don't worry, ill take care of it" He later called me to say that my case was adjourned (which i expected) but he also said a new charge was being brought against me also.

I have never received ANY summons about this alleged new charge and my solicitor has virtually not contacted me since yet my case is being heard next week.

The only time i heard from him was when the evidence came back, he emailed me the evidence and told me to "consider the evidence" . I replied given my version of events and i highlighted one or two statements made that i believe were not true but i havent heard from him since. I have called him maybe 6/7 times over the past month. One of my calls was returned which i missed but i rang him back and got no answer. I have emailed his secretary and i get no reply. I have texted him personally on whatsapp and i also get no reply despite seeing him online etc

Iam online the past 2 weeks looking for advice and everyone tells me i need to get a solicitor but i already have one lol Is this normal? Should i be concerned or is he just waiting until closer to the court date to contact me about my defence etc ? My court date is next Friday.

Another strange complaint i have is that i told him i was struggling financially and would have to request legal advice initially but he responded saying "don't worry, i won't charge you much" and i just went along with it like an idiot!

Well I think if you have a summons or a charge sheet directing your attendance at a court on a given date - common sense I think would say you appear -
    You failed to appear - judge could have issued an arrest warrant - but obviously the judge entertained the solicitors explanation as to why you failed to appear -
    As far as I’m aware the court , on hearing your financial situation - makes a decision on your entitlement or not to legal aid -
    Guards may inform court if so aware , that you have finances or in a position to pay for your own solicitor -
    If this is district court - first offence - represent yourself - things happen - unlikely to be more than a slap on the wrist - you can always appeal if unhappy to circuit - court - then get a solicitor-

I’d be looking for my money back from this guy you engaged - presumably you paid consult- fee-
    You can complain to solicitor body -
    The best solicitor in the district is the guy representing most of the clients usually - knows the judge etc - his way of dealing with things -
    He is right about getting info -disclosure - to see if there is a reason to fight the charge -of course the more adjournments the more we all pay these guys to ensure the bigger new car / big house / nice lifestyle - from “ us” the taxpayers best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I understand what you guys are saying.When the guard said that he knew my solicitor very well. Of course he would from speaking to him in court but it was put to me as if he was suggesting he knew him beyond that. It was the way it was said which i believe was just him trying to mess with me i guess.

None the less, I did not appreciate that being said especially now that i am having issues with my solicitor.

I am unaware what this "new charge" is i never received a summons for it but apparently they can bring a new charge against you once you arrive before the judge for your initial charge. I was told if i pleaded guilty that i would escape this new charge but i thought he was bluffing.

It was only when my case was adjourned that i was informed i actually was having a new charge brought against me but again i have never received any summons for this.

This is a road traffic matter. I was 1 nanogram over the limit for cannabis which i accept. What i do not accept is the Guard telling a load of lies and saying i had slurred speech and was intoxicated and unable to drive but yet i have messages from him describing me as a decent man and saying he hates doing this to people but its his job. I was also told in the station that i was positive for heroin as a joke. Let alone he said i refused to answer questions he asked. All absolute 100% rubbish. I was in utter shock reading the evidence.

The last time i heard from my solicitor was when he emailed me the evidence and said "consider the evidence" . I replied with my version of events and i outlines each statement that was not true and i have not heard from him since! This was almost a month ago (3 - 4 weeks) I have text and emailed asking when is a good time to catch him because every time i call he does not answer and i have yet to get a reply.

I have found a site which gives details to lodge a complaint and have done so tonight!

Another twist to this is that i told my solicitor i was coming into money soon but that i did not know when and therefore i may need free legal aid at this moment in time as i lost my job over covid. He was adamant that he will not charge me much and for some reason he told me to not mention coming into money in the court house as the judge would likely not like it being rubbed in his face. Strange choice of words i thought but there you go

Can you paste the messages the gaurd sent you saying your a lovely lad and he is only doing his job but hates it. ? Also confirm your sober and not high ? What a load of rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Do not copy and paste those messages for your own good op.

God this thread is so full of the sanctimonious boring dickheads who make Ireland terrible.

I hope you manage to avoid charge OP, your solicitor sounds like a charlatan and you got very unlucky with what happened. Thousands of people across the length and breadth of the country do what you did (go out in the car less than eight hours after smoking weed) and don't get caught thankfully. I'm really sorry to hear you're in this situation.

One thing you could do if you're willing is to find a journalist who might be willing to listen to your story. There are a lot of people like me who find you a very sympathetic victim of the law. I also know a lad who was 23, got caught for "drug driving" (again apparently slurred speech and the works), lost his job and killed himself as a consequence.

What the people on this thread who are delighted with your misfortune don't realise is that smoking weed doesn't impair your driving after several hours. If you smoke, it can be in your system constantly, the same way if you take a panadol at the start of the day for a pain you have, it will kick in and even when the pain is gone it remains in your system.

There needs to be a discourse in this country around cannabis consumption and driving. I'm not saying the limit needs to be removed, but awareness should be drawn to it. If there were sensible information campaigns, it could lead to a lot less accidents, suicides and tragedy. As a country we definitely need to examine our relationship with this drug.

Well I think if you have a summons or a charge sheet directing your attendance at a court on a given date - common sense I think would say you appear -
    You failed to appear - judge could have issued an arrest warrant - but obviously the judge entertained the solicitors explanation as to why you failed to appear -
    As far as I’m aware the court , on hearing your financial situation - makes a decision on your entitlement or not to legal aid -
    Guards may inform court if so aware , that you have finances or in a position to pay for your own solicitor -
    If this is district court - first offence - represent yourself - things happen - unlikely to be more than a slap on the wrist - you can always appeal if unhappy to circuit - court - then get a solicitor-

I’d be looking for my money back from this guy you engaged - presumably you paid consult- fee-
    You can complain to solicitor body -
    The best solicitor in the district is the guy representing most of the clients usually - knows the judge etc - his way of dealing with things -
    He is right about getting info -disclosure - to see if there is a reason to fight the charge -of course the more adjournments the more we all pay these guys to ensure the bigger new car / big house / nice lifestyle - from “ us” the taxpayers best of luck

During covid times many courts are requesting the accused not to appear until they want to plead or in their hearing date so he was most likely not expected to attend on that first date and that is why he was not issued a warrant.
    As far as I am aware drinking while imparied is not a slap on the wrist offense the minimum disqualification on a first offence is 4 years and 6 years for a second or subsequent offence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sorry to hear this op, yeah you committed a crime but as usual the lying scum Garda will write a load of ****e to exaggerate and make it sound worse so the charge sticks. This is the judicial system in Ireland, it only hurts the decent folk caught out once.

Multiple posts bashing Gardai because the users / friends broke the law.

Suppose it's my doctor's fault I'm overweight.

Op, you really don't have a clue and are listening to bull**** advise that's ight making you more clueless.

Get a qualified solicitor and let them do their job or don't and just plead guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Op, you really don't have a clue and are listening to bull**** advise that's ight making you more clueless.

Get a qualified solicitor and let them do their job or don't and just plead guilty.
    Yeah apologies what was i thinking, the law is always correct and gardai possess the divine right of the gods and everybody who ever appears in court is a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,247 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do not copy and paste those messages for your own good op.

God this thread is so full of the sanctimonious boring dickheads who make Ireland terrible.

I hope you manage to avoid charge OP, your solicitor sounds like a charlatan and you got very unlucky with what happened. Thousands of people across the length and breadth of the country do what you did (go out in the car less than eight hours after smoking weed) and don't get caught thankfully. I'm really sorry to hear you're in this situation.

One thing you could do if you're willing is to find a journalist who might be willing to listen to your story. There are a lot of people like me who find you a very sympathetic victim of the law. I also know a lad who was 23, got caught for "drug driving" (again apparently slurred speech and the works), lost his job and killed himself as a consequence.

What the people on this thread who are delighted with your misfortune don't realise is that smoking weed doesn't impair your driving after several hours. If you smoke, it can be in your system constantly, the same way if you take a panadol at the start of the day for a pain you have, it will kick in and even when the pain is gone it remains in your system.

There needs to be a discourse in this country around cannabis consumption and driving. I'm not saying the limit needs to be removed, but awareness should be drawn to it. If there were sensible information campaigns, it could lead to a lot less accidents, suicides and tragedy. As a country we definitely need to examine our relationship with this drug.

The OP is not charged with impaired driving so any discussion around that is irrelevant

Hardly the same, if your doctor had to write you a fitness cert but he didn't like you and then proceeded to write extremely overweight, limited mobility, chronic arthritis, yet all that was wrong was that you were a few pounds overweight.

Go to any court room, decent folk getting multiple charges under section 4 yet it was more likely they had too many drinks. Gardai are well known for fabricating the truth to get charges to stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Hardly the same, if your doctor had to write you a fitness cert but he didn't like you and then proceeded to write extremely overweight, limited mobility, chronic arthritis, yet all that was wrong was that you were a few pounds overweight.

Go to any court room, decent folk getting multiple charges under section 4 yet it was more likely they had too many drinks. Gardai are well known for fabricating the truth to get charges to stick.

That's what Section 4 Public Order is....

• Advertisement

Well for starters, there's an adult caution. Then there's a fine for section 4 public order so bring in court means you have burnt your chances and not paid the fine.

So no, they aren't.

scumbags are well known for lying and playing the victim though.

If all you can provide is biased rubbish and insults, the op is best ignoring your comments.

Well for starters, there's an adult caution. Then there's a fine for section 4 public order so bring in court means you have burnt your chances and not paid the fine.

So no, they aren't.

scumbags are well known for lying and playing the victim though.

If all you can provide is biased rubbish and insults, the op is best ignoring your comments.

If you talk to a hammer, every problem is a nail. Gardaí freely admit that they believe that everyone in custody is guilty. But this is obviously not true. On the other hand, criminal defence lawyers sometimes think that their defendants are innocent even when they clearly are not. I knew one solicitor who tripped up a Garda on the stand during a drink driving case and got his client off. According to him, this meant his client was innocent. But what really happened according to the Garda is that he lost his notes and couldn't recall the arrest. This is not the same as the driver being innocent.

I've had my fair share of interactions with both Gardaí and defence lawyers (mostly barristers) over the years. They're both doing a job, and their jobs make them biased.

I can understand a Garda not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but honestly the best thing normal people can do is keep away from them if at all possible. Don't be a gift horse.

Edit: Niner leprauchan - would you teach your children that the policeman is their friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Gardaí freely admit that they believe that everyone in custody is guilty.

Do you think they take people into custody if they believe they have not committed a crime? :confused:

Edit: Niner leprauchan - would you teach your children that the policeman is their friend?

Not sure if the other poster will answer this or not, but, for me, if I had kids absolutely yes I would.

Separately, I just don't get this contention that police are out to get you, they are bias, they take everything you say and use it against you type of rubbish that often crops up.

It seems all too often that many people are closed-minded, prejudicial or unfair in their opinions of the police - and that appears to define bias.

GM228 wrote: »
    Do you think they take people into custody if they believe they have not committed a crime? :confused:

Not sure if the other poster will answer this or not, but, for me, if I had kids absolutely yes I would.

I just don't get this the Police are out to get you, they are bias, they take everything you say and use it against you rubbish that often crops up. It seems all too often that many people are closed-minded, prejudicial or unfair in their opinions of the police - and that appears to define bias.

Ah come on, don't get me wrong, plenty of well respectable gardai doing a great job, but on the other hand, far too many boyos that have watched dirty Harry a few too many times too.

far too many boyos that have watched dirty Harry a few too many times too.

A Guards got to know his limitations :)

GM228 wrote: »

Separately, I just don't get this contention that police are out to get you, they are bias, they take everything you say and use it against you type of rubbish that often crops up.

It seems all too often that many people are closed-minded, prejudicial or unfair in their opinions of the police - and that appears to define bias.

Yet many people in custody are found not guilty. Many Gardaí think that this is because the Judge is biased, or the solicitor told a pack of lies, or the Jury was swayed by sob stories - not that they fecked up and arrested the wrong person.

I understand why they think this way, but it's still dangerous.

Yet many people in custody are found not guilty.

Often qualified with "in accordance with the law", or more precisely not found guilty in accordance with law, that does not always mean the accused has not done what they are accused of doing.

If you talk to a hammer, every problem is a nail. Gardaí freely admit that they believe that everyone in custody is guilty. But this is obviously not true. On the other hand, criminal defence lawyers sometimes think that their defendants are innocent even when they clearly are not. I knew one solicitor who tripped up a Garda on the stand during a drink driving case and got his client off. According to him, this meant his client was innocent. But what really happened according to the Garda is that he lost his notes and couldn't recall the arrest. This is not the same as the driver being innocent.

I've had my fair share of interactions with both Gardaí and defence lawyers (mostly barristers) over the years. They're both doing a job, and their jobs make them biased.

I can understand a Garda not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but honestly the best thing normal people can do is keep away from them if at all possible. Don't be a gift horse.

All that experience and yet you don't know they are called 'solicitors' in this country.

And yes, I would tell them because they are. Gardai help children every single day of the week. Hundreds of times a day be it a lost child, neglected child or just a child that needs help with something small.

You however are firmly of the belief that 'snitches get stitches'. Great parenting

awsah wrote: »
    There is a few pages into this forum so this might be said already but when you were taken to the garda station did they take a blood sample.from you? Also not sure why people keep referencing barristers when you can't hire a barrister and in the district court a solicitor is better for.you as barristers just take instructions from solicitors so they aren't going to be any better. Barristers are for circuit courts and above,a barrister working in the district court is working there to gain experience or because a solicitor can't make.it to court, it wouldn't be worth it for you to pay a solicitor and a barrister (you can't choice one or the other you would be paying for both unless you get assigned legal aid).

If a blood sample was taken then you should have received a sample yourself to test independently. If you think you weren't over the limit you should have this tested. If a blood sample wasn't taken from you then you should probably get a new solicitor to fight the case on this basis. Also you must absolutely be present in court for a hearing date, a hearing could proceed in your absence but this would not be good for you if they are in fact making things up and your solicitor is in fact working with the garda to make sure the gardas case is resolved in his favour (which is literally the opposite of his job so none of this makes any sense really)

Blood sample was taken but i was told the limit was zero so i was told there was no point ion me taken the sample. Idiotic of me in hindsight as i should have took it but in that moment i believed he was right. I thought yeah why bother taken it if the limit is zero.

• Advertisement

My friend took his life because he believed his life was over once he could no longer practice as a doctor. He blamed himself because he knew that THC could stay in his bloodstream for up to a month after consuming it. He was usually the designated driver on nights out because he hated being impaired. He was extremely careful, took his responsibilities and his studies seriously and that was what undid him.

He let himself go at a stag party in Amsterdam. I met him the day after he came back and he seemed in good spirits, but definitely not high. More than 72 hours after he arrived home THC was found in his blood. He wasn't high at that time either. He never drank the day before going on call, his mum would never have allowed weed in the house and smoking it was totally out of character.

No the reason he was tested was the boarding pass he had left on the passenger side seat of his car. The Garda asked him about that and this triggered a series of events that ended my best friend's life.

Losing his driver's licence was one thing, but losing his right to practice medicine was what really kicked him. He couldn't understand how his colleagues polydrugged all the time, but he made one mistake and got caught. There was also no need for the Garda to publicly allege that my friend was high and that he could smell marijuana off of him.

I appreciate that the Gardaí have a job to do, but my advice to people generally is to stay away from them as much as possible because. This may seem harsh or ungrateful but if they are looking to tie you to a crime, keep your lips closed.

For me, i have to say it is difficult to deal with. Yes i made a mistake and i must take responsibility but as soon as people hear the words "drug driver" they treat you like scum.

I have felt incredibly low over this. I do not expect anyone here to understand. I was naive. I stupidly believed the guard sympathised with me and wanted to help me. I felt stupid. When i speak about it on online forums i have been spoke to by some people like i am dirt. Like i am retarded for speaking to the guard etc

It can make you feel very low. At the end of the day yes i broke the law and i deserve punishment perhaps. But its 1 bloody nanogram over a limit of 5ng. I was NOT impaired. Yes you would expect me to say that even if i was but i bloody know i was not.

The way people have made me feel over this is honestly worse than the ban or the fine. This whole experience has been far worse than any punishment the court will dish out. My own solicitor has referred to me as the devil - who would even believe me for god sake that a solicitor would say that to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement