Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's you opinion on or experience with, nightclub security?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

branie2 wrote: »
    Not with those trainers, pal!

Regulars only tonight .

Women never have an issue with nightclub security. A woman could assault or grope a man and the man would still be the one to be ejected.

I've been to about two night clubs in my life (I'm female, late 20's) not my scene. I hate the kips.

My brother in law worked doors for years in Dublin city centre, he got his nose broken one night after being head butted by a girl and a stiletto in the head another night.
    He also works for company that provides minders/bodyguards and has always said drunk aggressive women are the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

The last time I stepped foot in a nightclub was December 19 for a work doo (having not stepped foot in one for years before that).
    Midway through the night a bouncer asked me to leave as I was causing trouble apparently (later transpired that the bouncer had the wrong person). Well i argued my case briefly but when I saw that the bouncer wasn't budging I said okay no problem I will leave. As I'm walking toward the exit he tried to grab my arm. I warned him to remove his hand from my arm, it's unnecessary and I'm doing exactly as you have asked me. When he again grabbed my arm I instantly applied a wrist lock and folded him to his knees, applying enough pressure to subdue him but not hurt him (lifelong martial artist). The rest of the bouncers ran over and surrounded me but when I explained to the head man that I will happily walk out as long as you don't touch me he seemed happy with that and the four of them shadowed me to the door but did not lay another finger on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    The last time I stepped foot in a nightclub was December 19 for a work doo (having not stepped foot in one for years before that).
    Midway through the night a bouncer asked me to leave as I was causing trouble apparently (later transpired that the bouncer had the wrong person). Well i argued my case briefly but when I saw that the bouncer wasn't budging I said okay no problem I will leave. As I'm walking toward the exit he tried to grab my arm. I warned him to remove his hand from my arm, it's unnecessary and I'm doing exactly as you have asked me. When he again grabbed my arm I instantly applied a wrist lock and folded him to his knees, applying enough pressure to subdue him but not hurt him (lifelong martial artist). The rest of the bouncers ran over and surrounded me but when I explained to the head man that I will happily walk out as long as you don't touch me he seemed happy with that and the four of them shadowed me to the door but did not lay another finger on me.

I’ll take things that never happened for €500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Women never have an issue with nightclub security. A woman could assault or grope a man and the man would still be the one to be ejected.

I've been to about two night clubs in my life (I'm female, late 20's) not my scene. I hate the kips.

As an attendee my experience has been, women tend to start the most shit, without a doubt.

Bottle service gals notwithstanding

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Soundest bouncers I ever came across was the ones who work at raves in Germany, they look like they are in biker gangs, huge guys but if you don't cause them any trouble they are really sound and will chat away to you. I really wouldn't want to get in their bad books though.

Quite possibly they were from a biker gang. A lot of security is done by gangs like Hells Angels, The Outlaws or The Banditos. The venue owners are "persuaded" to hire them. In the main, they are there just to look intimidating but can be the nicest people on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Unfortunately the job attracts a lot of thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was a bouncer for two and a half years in Cork City and at times it’s a soul destroying job. There’s a perception that sloshed Irish people are the life and soul of the party etc but there’s a significant section of the population when drunk become rude, messy, self-entitled and aggressive tramps and you’d want the patience of a saint to be dealing with some of them. (And this runs across society as well by the way, it isn’t unique to the lower classes as some might think)

A few points:

1) Yes some door staff are terrible at their jobs, goes without saying, same as any other job. But the idea they’re “conditioned to be aggressive” etc as someone said at the start of this thread is nonsense. Fellas like that don’t last long in the job, they’re spotted a mile off by the other lads working and usually calmed down or sacked off. The job is to ensure the business runs safely and peacefully with a certain clientele, not to be rowing and roaring all the time. People on the door want to do an evening’s work and go home, not be arguing.

2) The bouncer doesn’t give a f*ck what you look like or who you identify as or how you’re dressed. They’re not self-appointed fashion critics whimsically picking who they personally want inside. The club/bar owner will decide on a certain niche, image, scene etc that they want for their establishments. They will then convey that to the head doorman who will enforce that policy. If a gaff is aimed at posh D4 types dressing up then you’re not getting in if you’re a biker type or a metal head or from the local council flats. If the gaff is a meat market aimed at culchies you’re possibly not getting in if you’re a group of East Europeans. That is of course sh*tty on a number of levels but it’s not of the bouncer’s making. It’s the consequence of business owners caring to attitudes that can be found in wide or niche society - don’t be shouting at the lad on the door about it.

3) “they said I was drunk but I wasn’t drunk!”

They just didn’t want to let you or your group in. Refusing someone for drink is one of the only cast-iron excuses that will ever hold up if there’s some sort of legal challenge etc. I rarely bothered with it myself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Never had any major issues but was refused entry to a lot of places in my younger days, I don't think it's all to do with age though as a lot of Dublin was seriously up its own hole in the Celtic Tiger, had nights where you'd walk into places with an more exclusive/classy reputation while getting turned away from run of the mill spots earlier.
    I don't think security goes out of its way to cause fights generally but there is bouncers that turn people away in a manner that's way more likely to start a row than those that turn people away in a more understanding way.

Did used to know off a small middle aged bouncer that looked out of place compared to typical bouncers. He was rumoured to take people out the back and put a gun to people caught dealing though!

Any Dublin 2000's people remember the massive Black guy Tiny Tim?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

The awkward moment when you’re a young lad of 18-19 and out with the lads and having to go along with their ****e banter directed at you at the door because you are desperate to get in anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I had the "members only" line thrown at me a few times in Dublin as soon as they heard my accent. Knobs. I gave my money to someone less "up themselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ulster wrote: »
    I had the "members only" line thrown at me a few times in Dublin as soon as they heard my accent. Knobs. I gave my money to someone less "up themselves".

Bouncer at some club in Limerick heard my accent and said I couldnt come in because I was a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Never had any major issues but was refused entry to a lot of places in my younger days, I don't think it's all to do with age though as a lot of Dublin was seriously up its own hole in the Celtic Tiger, had nights where you'd walk into places with an more exclusive/classy reputation while getting turned away from run of the mill spots earlier.
    I don't think security goes out of its way to cause fights generally but there is bouncers that turn people away in a manner that's way more likely to start a row than those that turn people away in a more understanding way.

Did used to know off a small middle aged bouncer that looked out of place compared to typical bouncers. He was rumoured to take people out the back and put a gun to people caught dealing though!

Any Dublin 2000's people remember the massive Black guy Tiny Tim?

No, but remember a really tall Swedish woman, was quite taken with her. Think she would do a few clubs, possibly Spirit.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyone remember Steve Wong from Cork? What a guy!

The White/Dark horse early house had a sound older bald bouncer. He would always refuse but was just looking for how you would respond.

I could usually act sober enough to be able to get it across that we were just looking for a few quiet drinks to finish off the night and he'd always let you in then.

A establishment in Phibbsborough near Broadstone station, all its doirmen/bouncers are pricks.

A establishment in Phibbsborough near Broadstone station, all its doirmen/bouncers are pricks.

McGowans?

Mimon wrote: »
    McGowans?

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Anyone remember Steve Wong from Cork? What a guy!

Steve is sound as a pound.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

FTA69 wrote: »
    Steve is sound as a pound.

Wonder if he was still working the doors before lockdown? Been a long time since I was out in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I boycotted that place for years because they refused me one night for not being local (you can see my bedroom window from the door) but any time I went in the before covid times I have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I boycotted that place for years because they refused me one night for not being local (you can see my bedroom window from the door) but any time I went in the before covid times I have no complaints.
    Talk about keeping it local! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Wonder if he was still working the doors before lockdown? Been a long time since I was out in Cork.

He was still in voodoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

ok. so why does boxing have weight categories?

of course size has everything to do with it. be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

club security is one of those things in life where you don't fight it, like a riptide or an airplanes cabin crew.

most of the time the only way to win is to foresee and avoid.

if denied just brush it off as below you anyway, roll with the energy and sashay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I heard about this actually, then when you got outside Steven Seagal attacked you but you did a roundhouse on him and knocked him through a wall.

Advertisement